Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:47 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I don't see healthcare entities hiring PMP's anytime soon here in TN. They may use them on a consultant basis but very few healthcare organizations are taking on FTE's right now unless it is a direct patient caregiver. I think consulting might be the way to go rather than employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:35 PM

957 posts, read 3,700,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Quite frankly, and I hate to come across as rude, but you say you've been out of IT for 4 years and have only lived in Tennessee since last summer. Do you really think you're qualified to answer posts regarding the current IT market in Nashville seeing that you're not really experienced with it?
You don't think researched the job market? I'm gracefully bowing out and wishing him all the best.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:38 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,891 times
With an MBA and PMP, you should have no problem finding a job paying around $100K. I am in the healthcare industry, and know that these credentials are very desirable. Most people who can not find jobs do not have such qualifications.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
I used to be a project manager for a construction company here in Nashville. I've been unemployed now since a week before Thanksgiving.

I'm really hopefull that the warm weather coming up will restimulate construction. If not, I don't know what I'll do. I've been turned down for jobs washing laundry for hotels, gas stations, and fast food to say the least the job situation in Nashville sucks right now.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
The job situation here isn't as bad as the "doom and gloomers" and the media would have you believe. 7% unemployment means that 93% of people who are actively in the job market have jobs -- that is the "glass half full" side of things, which is how I choose to look at it. I don't know anyone with a degree and your kind of qualifications who is unemployed. If you had no degree and no marketable skills then yes, you may find it tough in this economy to make the kind of money you're looking to make. As it stands, I think you will be fine. The best thing you can do is stop listening to the fear-mongerers and put your energy into finding high-paying work. It's here.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
The job situation here isn't as bad as the "doom and gloomers" and the media would have you believe. 7% unemployment means that 93% of people who are actively in the job market have jobs -- that is the "glass half full" side of things, which is how I choose to look at it. I don't know anyone with a degree and your kind of qualifications who is unemployed. If you had no degree and no marketable skills then yes, you may find it tough in this economy to make the kind of money you're looking to make. As it stands, I think you will be fine. The best thing you can do is stop listening to the fear-mongerers and put your energy into finding high-paying work. It's here.
Yeah, It's all b.s. right ? People that can't find work are just lazy or uneducated right ? Mr. " Not participating in "recession", When is the last time you've looked for a job ? There are plenty of people with signs out saying that they're hiring but when you go in they say that they aren't hiring but accepting applications.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Yeah, It's all b.s. right ? People that can't find work are just lazy or uneducated right ? Mr. " Not participating in "recession", When is the last time you've looked for a job ? There are plenty of people with signs out saying that they're hiring but when you go in they say that they aren't hiring but accepting applications.
Dude, don't attack me for trying to be optimistic. A few more positive attitudes like mine are what we need in this economy.

By the way, if you spent half as much time looking for work as you spend on this site complaining about the bad job market, you would probably be employed.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Dude, don't attack me for trying to be optimistic. A few more positive attitudes like mine are what we need in this economy.

By the way, if you spent half as much time looking for work as you spend on this site complaining about the bad job market, you would probably be employed.
Attack you ? That's a laugh, I've seen some of your posts about various things, you attack people more then anyone.

As for being on this forum, Today is the first time I've logged into City-Data in over 2 weeks.

Besides, I've been everywhere in this city and no luck. Let me ask, Is it just going to kill your soul when Obama fixes this mess ?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Attack you ? That's a laugh, I've seen some of your posts about various things, you attack people more then anyone.

As for being on this forum, Today is the first time I've logged into City-Data in over 2 weeks.

Besides, I've been everywhere in this city and no luck. Let me ask, Is it just going to kill your soul when Obama fixes this mess ?
You've been everywhere, huh? So I guess you've been to Shoe Carnival, Maurice's, Luxe Salon, Ross Dress For Less, Subway, Captain D's, and Pizza Hut, all of which currently have "now hiring" signs posted.

And I guess you haven't seen the Dow numbers since Obama's "porkulus" bill passed, either. He isn't fixing anything except for what I guess he perceives as a shortage in debt and government waste.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:40 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,250 times
Quote:
I used to be a project manager for a construction company here in Nashville. I've been unemployed now since a week before Thanksgiving.

I'm really hopefull that the warm weather coming up will restimulate construction. If not, I don't know what I'll do. I've been turned down for jobs washing laundry for hotels, gas stations, and fast food to say the least the job situation in Nashville sucks right now.
Apples to oranges again. You were a 'project manager' for your parents' now bankrupt construction company and you have no college degree or trade skills. The OP is a PMP - certified Project Management Professional - with an MBA - Master of Business Administration (about 6 years of college) working in Information Technology. 2 totally different situations.

And yes, in this kind of economy, if you are uneducated or undereducated and have no specialized skill set or trade then you are in a bad situation. However, don't begrudge those that are specialized and posess talents and education that the majority does not.

Obama is proposing to create many IT jobs with his healthcare database. Who do you think is going to qualify for those jobs - you, with no experience in IT or education, or the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville