Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:58 PM

9 posts, read 18,576 times

Advertisements

Which town/city is friendliest to those of a multicultural background? I'm talking about different cultures coming in and making a home, as well as doing business (self-employment, contracting). I'll also throw in Clarksville. Clarksville is diverse toward Exit 1 and 4 due to the military, but what about Exit 11, the Sango area? What about the west end of Nasvhille? Ashland City?

Looking for anyplace between Clarksville and Nashville, with interstate convenience unnecessary and very low crime. When thinking of different cultures, think dark-complected West African, Japanese, South American, and other strongly-featured (notice-on-sight) peoples.

Any other threads that have addressed this, please post links.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:03 AM

215 posts, read 682,018 times
Wow where do I begin with what areas are the most left-wing perhaps places like Hillsboro Village,East Nashville,Antioch,West Nashville,Downtown Nashville,or the satellite city of Berry Hill I'm sure.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 18,576 times
Default No Wings, Please

Whoa there. Don't want to bring assumptions about left-wing vs. right-wing into this thread. Conservatives are just as likely to live in a diverse environment, so let's keep it neutral.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't consider Berry Hill, as I didn't count it as between Nashville and Clarksville. Interesting. Nashville's West End is okay, too. I've travelled about the Green Hills area and like it very much and I recommended it to my friends (the subject of the OP).

As for East Nashville and Antioch, I've heard cautions about this place too often. I'm sure there are some good areas, though.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:36 PM

213 posts, read 769,999 times
I think closer to the city/in the city itself would tend to be more accepting/familiar with different cultures. I live near Pleasant View and I do not see any cultural diversity here (note I do not have children in school, so I'm limited to the people I see in restaurants/stores/vet's office, services, etc).

Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 PM

50 posts, read 148,221 times
I'm with Greyhnd, I don't see a lot of cultural diversity here (I'm in Joelton and I spend a decent amount of time in Springfield, PV, and Ashland City). I'm not saying there's racism here, I'm just saying I don't see cultural diversity.

I hope you find somewhere that works for you.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 PM

215 posts, read 682,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roohound
I'm with Greyhnd, I don't see a lot of cultural diversity here (I'm in Joelton and I spend a decent amount of time in Springfield, PV, and Ashland City). I'm not saying there's racism here, I'm just saying I don't see cultural diversity.
If I may I would like to state some facts.Not all areas are meant to be culturally diverse.There are also people who prefer a homogeneous setting too.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:42 PM

50 posts, read 148,221 times
I wasn't insinuating all areas had to be - I was just stating what I've experienced. I wasn't saying these areas are horrible because they're not culturally diverse. I love Joelton - it's nice and rural but close enough to shopping and fun things - my horse and dogs have plenty of room to roam, and yet I can drive 20 minutes to go to professional sporting events (as an aside: go Preds!). It met my priorities. But if one's priority is cultural diversity, then I wouldn't recommend it. It's not a bad thing necessarily, it's just is what it is.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:19 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman2 View Post
If I may I would like to state some facts.Not all areas are meant to be culturally diverse.There are also people who prefer a homogeneous setting too.
What are the qualifications for an area to not be meant to be culturally diverse? That seems like nonsense. I can't think of a single area in the Nashville area that isn't already culturally diverse. In fact, America itself is a product of cultural diversity. It started with British, French, Spanish, Dutch,African, etc and now especially in areas like Nashville, it's a mix of southern, northern, and western American cultures with the ever growing foreign born population.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:53 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,855 times
I think if you move to a larger town like Nashville or Clarksville, you won't have any problems. I live in a very racist small town in TN. When I was first entertaining the thought of selling my house, my neighbors threatened that they would make my life a living hell if I dared even show the house to African Americans.

Not all small towns are like mine. I never saw any racism in the TN town I lived in previously, which is only about 40 miles from here. That town was a mix of just about any race you can imagine, and everyone seemed to get along fine. If you move to a small town, just make sure to do a lot of research first.

My town in particular isn't very tolerant of anyone that isn't related to them or didn't grow up with them anyway, regardless of race. And they're very set in their ways about how people should be. For example, I'm a white, single woman in my 40s without children, a Democrat (my neighborhood is extreme right), and I don't go to church. Rumors circulated that I was a lesbian because I'm not married, and that it's not normal for a woman of my age not to have kids. And that it's not normal for a single woman to buy a house, and that I should be in an apartment instead of a house and that the only reason a single woman would by a house is if she's running a wh***house (I can assure you I'm not LOL). Those rumors were floating around the neighborhood as soon as I moved in, and even after years of living here, those rumors are still alive and well. I've been called a satanist just because I don't go to church. I'm not a satanist. I just don't like organized religion.

I chose to move to a rural area becase I assumed that people would be friendly as long as I tried to fit in and didn't try to change them or their town. But it doesn't always work that way.

Most people in my neighborhood were born and raised here, and most of my neighbors are related to each other in one way or another. They don't like outsiders to begin with, and certainly not a single, childless woman. They have done all kinds of things to try to scare me out of this neighborhood. Even after all these years, they still show up at my fence with guns pointed at my house, trying to scare me. I just wave at them and go about my business. All I wanted to do was be friends with these people and fit in. I'm what most people would consider a good neighbor. I help others if I can. When the tornado hit, I helped my neighbors. Not a single one of them returned the favor (my house got hit too). I'm quiet. I'm not into the dating scene so there aren't any men running in and out of here. I don't blast my stereo or have parties or do anything else that would disturb anyone. But being single and childless and a "sinner" for not going to church, I'll never be accepted here no matter what I do.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to move to another small town. I think my town is in the minority. I just didn't do enough research and ended up in a mean neighborhood.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:00 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
There are some places in Williamson County like that. Not necessarily full of mean people but shall we say lived in predominantly by members of one extended family.
I know a couple of folks who live in "hollers," or small, rural roads between the hills, that used to be larger plots of land owned and occupied by one family for generations.
Over time small parcels would be sold off and "outsiders" might unknowingly move in. tnp, it does sound like you moved in next to some rednecks.
But I am noticing a lot of out-of-towners are posting on this forum with an idealized picture of "country life" without understanding the origin and history of the place they're considering moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville