Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:53 PM

6 posts, read 28,232 times

Advertisements

My husband and I LOVE Nashville, TN we are doing our research and planning on moving down in 2011.

I was wondering...

We live on the east side of Indianapolis which is known for an area with high crime.

I was wondering, other than the Belle Meade area and such, what is a "safer" part of town to settle down in. We don't have a lot of money to spend on a home, but also don't want to get stuck in the ghetto again.

Also, what are some local coffee shops in Nashville that don't have a half naked mermaid on the cup????

Hannah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 02:55 PM

427 posts, read 1,307,594 times
What price range are you looking for?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 AM

About 100,000 dollars

Old 03-23-2009, 09:31 AM

11 posts, read 35,889 times
Here is my thought. My husband and I live in the Nolensville area. Now, some people would push up their nose at that area, but don't discount it! There are a lot of immigrant families, which is why some people don't think well of it. But it is so safe! And there are tons of families.

Here is an example of how safe. When my husband and I went on our honeymoon we had no way of stopping all of the packages being delivered to our front porch. We worried that after being gone for 15 days, we would come back and some would be stolen. Instead, our neighbor, without us asking, collected them for us and kept them safe. That is the kind of neighborhood.

You can definitely get something in your price range. Also, I am familiar with some of the teachers and principals in the school district and they are innovative and dedicated. My neighbors on both sides are always in their back yards throwing a ball to their kids, etc.

As far as coffee shops and food, the closest fun coffee shop to the Nolensville area is called Sam and Zoes. There is also a Starbucks nearby. Plus because of all of the internationals within 5 minutes of my house we have an Ethiopian restaurant, numerous Persian restaurants, Mexican restaurants (the real stuff), Vietnamese, on and on.

The homes are older, but often very well maintained with lots of character. You would be able to have a yard, which is great with kids.

Ok, I am writing you a novel, and that is probably more than you asked for. Let me know if you have any other questions about the area. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 PM

25 posts, read 87,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycello View Post
My husband and I LOVE Nashville, TN we are doing our research and planning on moving down in 2011.

I was wondering...

We live on the east side of Indianapolis which is known for an area with high crime.

I was wondering, other than the Belle Meade area and such, what is a "safer" part of town to settle down in. We don't have a lot of money to spend on a home, but also don't want to get stuck in the ghetto again.

Also, what are some local coffee shops in Nashville that don't have a half naked mermaid on the cup????

Hannah
youre probably goin to be in the ghetto here. east nashville,madison, murfreessboro rd, dickerson rd areas of town, good luck, inner city living here is dangerous

Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 PM

11 posts, read 35,889 times
I disagree with bthunter3...respectfully, of course. Further, I have been to the rough areas of Indy and I don't think the rough areas of Nashville have anything on them.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:49 PM

thank you cec3x!

I would love to live in a neighborhood with some "character" I love having diverse neighbors now, we live in the "safer" more established neighborhoods on the east side, but still, not a place I'd want to raise children. When listening to gunshots at night I worry for my nieces that live the next street over.

We have decided that when we do pick a house that we are going to spend lots of time in the neighborhood, talking to people, and visiting at all hours of the night, day, and on weekends to get a feel for it.

My husband's family wasn't from Indiana when they moved here so they had no idea what they were getting themselves into when they all decided to land on the east side... Caleb knows now the HUGE difference 5miles can make in Indianapolis, you can have a 400,000 dollar house on one end of the street and a crack house on the other. I hate Indy there is no where to go to get away from the crime these days either... it only gets progressively worse as people get more economically depressed and bored..lol there is nothing to do here!!!!

We are very ready to pick up and restart our lives somewhere else. Hopefully we will have more luck in Nashville and hopefully we will make a good decision.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:57 AM

19 posts, read 146,271 times
Default Driving from the 'burbs

Yes you can get a cheaper house in Nolensville, but you may want to factor in daily driving time. One negative of living in Nolensville is the long drive from Nashville every day. You lose a lot of time & money doing this, & you could save a lot of gas $$ & would have more time with your family if you lived in Nashville, but the house will cost more. My suggestion is to even think about getting an apartment. I know plenty of kids that were raised in apartments in nashville & they liked it. You wouldn't have to deal with any crime or driving, & there is a ton of greenspace around Nashville (Centennial Park, etc.). Also, imho, more interesting neighbors would be found in Nashville than Nolensville.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:09 AM

My husband is a journeyman blacksmith so we need a garage so he can set up shop. So a house is what we are more after.

I have found a very good website to help us pick out a home and this has been very helpful. I am also really thankful for this website.

I will check out all the possibilities my husband is calling our friend CJ to get the run down about Nashville, and hopefully find out more things about it. I am excited about all of this.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:47 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycello View Post
My husband is a journeyman blacksmith so we need a garage so he can set up shop. So a house is what we are more after.

I have found a very good website to help us pick out a home and this has been very helpful. I am also really thankful for this website.

I will check out all the possibilities my husband is calling our friend CJ to get the run down about Nashville, and hopefully find out more things about it. I am excited about all of this.
You can also check out Smyrna or if your husband is working from the home, Murfreesboro has houses in that price range. Also the area betwwen Smyrna and Murfreesboro. That would be Ruterford county schools for both, which are excellent. You could probably get more there, than Nolensville.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville