Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 24,295 times

Advertisements

I'm a caucasian Seattle native considering a move to Murfreesboro, TN. Western Washington is quite diverse, and my social and work groups are filled with people of all ethnicities. Can anyone describe to me the cultural diversity of the population there in Murfreesboro? How about race relations? The "N word" is not a part of my vocabulary, and I'm not sure I could live in an environment where that is acceptable, or where people segregate themselves to an extreme degree. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 06:39 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,486 times
I don't live in Murfreesboro but can tell you there are jerks & racist people all over the country, even in Western Washington. I don't think it's something that you'll witness a lot of first hand & I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
When we dropped my son off at MTSU last year we heard the "n" word spoken. One African American was calling another AA that moniker in a conversation. It was apparent that they were buddies and that it was "ok" to use the "n" word between them. I have a very good friend that lives in M-boro and he loves it and thinks he has died and gone to heaven. He moved there from Atlanta three years ago and said he will have to be taken out feet first.

Just curious as to why you have posed this question. Have you heard something about race relations in M-boro somewhere else?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Thanks, SmokyMtnGal, I appreciate your feedback. The reason I asked is because my experience with southerners (relatives of mine whom I see rarely) has been negative -- they are very anti-black and throw the "N word" around freely. I don't want to assume that all southern folks are like that, but I know that can be a problem. Just wondering how much of a problem it was in Murfreesboro. Thanks again!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,571 times
I live in Murfreesboro and come from South Florida, which is a very culturally diverse area. Murfreesboro is somewhat diverse culturally. I have never noticed any sort of problem with race relations here. You have a lot of people from other places. I rarely run across a native. When I do, they have always been friendly to me. I am Italian and look very ethnic. I have been asked, where I was from and what my background is. It is always said with genuine interest. I would know the difference. I also see many interracial relationships here as well.

I've been very happy living here. I'm sure you would too.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:21 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
I too live in Murfreesboro and do not see any problems with race relations. I'm originally from NJ and the natives i have met here have been nothing but warm and welcoming.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:23 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyTownGal View Post
Thanks, SmokyMtnGal, I appreciate your feedback. The reason I asked is because my experience with southerners (relatives of mine whom I see rarely) has been negative -- they are very anti-black and throw the "N word" around freely. I don't want to assume that all southern folks are like that, but I know that can be a problem. Just wondering how much of a problem it was in Murfreesboro. Thanks again!
You're not going to hear that word tossed around frequently--generally by less than proper whites, blacks, and hispanics when it happens. I'm trying to come up with when I last heard that, and it's got to have been about a year ago, maybe. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if hearing that is going to cause you some pain, well, it happens and has happened about everywhere I've lived. Probably heard it most in Atlanta and Southern Cali.

That said, you're not going to find the stifling political correctness you have in Seattle and Western Washington.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:25 AM

223 posts, read 583,171 times
We recently moved to Murfreesboro and have never come across the use of the word. We are members of an organization that has blacks, whites and hispanics. They are all welcomed and treat each other with respect. For what it's worth the last time I heard the word was in upstate NY...

Old 03-26-2009, 04:49 PM

All of the feedback has been very reassuring! Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. It is true that there are racist people everywhere, and Seattle is no exception. I just wanted to make sure Murfreesboro wasn't their headquarters! Sounds like a wonderful place to live, and I hope to be moving soon!

Old 03-26-2009, 05:22 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Well as usual, it seems my experiences are different from most others. I hear the "N word" many times every single day from my white coworkers and/or many of our customers. However, if you work in an office environment you may never hear it. If you are black you may never hear from a white person, because when it comes down to it they don't have the nerve to say it in front of non-whites. But I can assure you that racism is alive and well in Murfreesboro; it just depends on who you're around. Also, the racist folks I know would probably never actually mistreat a person who's not white, but they sure do talk about them when they're not around. Sad but true, I'm afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville