Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 15,403 times

Advertisements

Hi,

This question is for parents of middle school or high schoolers. I'm not sure if what I heard about corporal punishment is true. Do they really paddle kids if they are bad? Could I opt-out of this? I am from MA where that is simply not done. I am looking to move to Hendersonville, but this just leaves a bad taste. Please advise.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:28 AM

22 posts, read 64,965 times
I'm interested in this answer. We were considering moving to Hendersonville in the fall. And that would change things. Is this a common occurrence in Tennessee schools?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
That would NEVER happen in a Hendersonville school, even though I don't think it would be a bad idea. There were a lot less problems in schools when teachers had the authority to discipline kids the way they saw fit. Now educators are handcuffed by lawsuit-happy helicopter parents. It's too bad. A whippin' at school used to mean a worse whippin' at home!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,429 times
Has Sumner County rescinded their policy? Just a couple of years ago it was policy that corporal punishment could be used, and that parents' permission wasn't required.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:52 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
My son has been in Sumner County schools now for 2 years, I've heard nothing about paddles or anything like that.

When we put him into the Wilson County School district 3 years ago we had to sign a waiver on if we gave them permission to use a paddle..

I would never agree to that personally, It's not the governments job to disiplane our kids, especially in a society that will take your kids away from you if they catch you whipping your kids.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:27 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
Regardless of what the "official" policy is, corporal punishment does not and will not occur in a Hendersonville school in the 21st century. It may well still be in the handbook, but like those crazy laws that still exist such as women being prohibited from driving while wearing a housecoat, it is not enforced.

Personally, I think parents and teachers both should be able to take a paddle to a kid's behind with impunity if he misbehaves. I don't know one person who was whipped as a kid -- within reason, I'm not talking abuse here -- who isn't thankful for it as an adult.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:39 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times
I've never heard of this happening in Sumner County schools...no clue if it does?? However, when I was in college I was part of an educational program in the high schools in West TN and parents could sign a waiver to administer corporal punishment instead of detention.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:11 PM

Apparently you don't have any children. It is not up to others to disipline our children. There are other ways of punishment like take away the xbox or such. It should be up to the parent to dish out punishments. We don't know why the child is acting out and to give them a few paddles doesn't work.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:13 PM

That post wat to pimpy by the way

Old 05-28-2009, 05:30 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,833,872 times
I graduated from a Sumner County school in 2002 & yes, corporal punishment was used at that time & yes, it was my understanding that parents could opt out at the beginning of the school year. It's nothing to change districts over, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville