Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:39 AM

72 posts, read 233,060 times

Advertisements

Gooday to readers in Nashville, my daughter is considering attending Belmont U for her Masters and we are looking to buy a 3 BR home rather than renting. Preferably within 10 miles to the south and either a townhouse or single family home around 100k. Is there a decent/safe area in that price range? Just sending out feelers for now but will be down in October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 PM

144 posts, read 465,466 times
That's going to be difficult. I'd look into the Woodbine area. There's easy access to Belmont, downtown, Green Hills. It's not the "coolest" area, but they're trying to implement SP zoning which has transformed East Nashville where property values have had big gains in recent years. I think it's a safe area. Here's a link to the interactive crime map: http://pdmap2.police.nashville.org

Old 07-16-2009, 07:59 AM

Thank you Marilyn Bell. I was also looking around the LaVergne area. Looks like about 10-12 miles from the university. Is that a safe/decent area?Home prices seem pretty reasonable there.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:59 PM

317 posts, read 1,230,731 times
LaVergne will have houses in that range, but is it too far from the school? That is the question. My guess is that it would be a longer commute than your daughter will be comfortable.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:45 PM

Dena does bring up a good point. The commute would be a concern as all the Rutherford County commuters come down I-24 and it gets jammed up.

Another concern is the stability of housing prices in LaVergne. LaVergne has been plagued by foreclosures due to all the new construction that was purchased there for no money down in recent years. You can get a great price on a home there, but when your daughter graduates there may be no appreciation in the home - or even worse, it could be worth less than what you (or she) paid for it.

For young families who plan to be in the home for more than 5 years, LaVergne is great, but if someone were planning to sell in a shorter time frame I just like to make them aware of the housing value issue in LaVergne.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:25 AM

Any other reasonable and safe areas within 15-20 minutes of the University that you would recommend?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:25 AM

If you are open to zero lot lines (duplexes) and townhomes you'll open up your options a bit.

Also, try looking around 37211 and 37013 along Old Hickory Blvd between I-65 and I-24. I've seen some really good prices in Monte Carlo estates which may be in both 37211 (Nashville) and 37013 (Antioch) but it's right at the border of 37027 (Brentwood). It's near the intersection of Barnes Rd and Nolensville Rd. There are several ways to get to Belmont from there. That neighborhood is older, but it's surrounded by newer neighborhoods selling in the 200's and above.

On the west side if you're quick you may be able to find a good deal in the areas surrounding Charlotte Park (37209). However, at that price point you'll probably expect to atleast need to paint and possibly replace flooring.

On the east side of town you may be able to find something around Cleveland Park or McFerrin Park for that price, but same thing - probably will need paint and flooring redone. In both those areas the homes that are in top condition sell for much higher prices.

Woodbine/Flat Rock area should see some great improvements in the next few years. It's very easy access to Belmont. One of my tenants lives there and wants to buy the house from me. He's active in the planning meetings and works closely with the councilwoman Anna Page. I would put that at the top of the list due to its convenience to not only Belmont, but Green Hills, Berry Hill/100 Oaks downtown and even Cool Springs (you just take back road to I-65 and get to Cool Springs in 15 minutes). I think you'll have more options in your price range there. I also think you'll see gains in value in just the next few years. It's a safe area, but there are some nuisances there (loud music barreling down the street etc).

Old 07-17-2009, 02:03 PM

Thanks Marilyn Bell, you are a wealth of information ( I just noticed that you are a realtor). I have a realtor out of Mount Juliet, Jean Proctor with Reliant( she used to live in Wyoming and has been there a number of years) that also has associates in the Nashville area so I will probably contact her to show us a few homes come October in the areas you suggested. Thanks again and hope you have a wonderful day!

Last edited by Mrk9; 07-17-2009 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 PM

Glad to help. Mt Juliet feels like a world away from Belmont so be sure to check message boards and the crime maps as you're looking. Also, keep looking at listings before October so you'll know when something is a great deal. Good luck in your home search!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:24 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,833,872 times
Belmont is in such a cool area why don't y'all rent first, get aquainted with Nashville & then buy something after you know which areas you like & which commutes you can handle. I opted for no commuting & live in East Nashville & am 2.5 miles from my office, it's the best decision I've ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville