Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,948 times

Advertisements

Hello - I'm in my mid-20's and I might be relocating to Nashville for a job and I need advice on where to live. I would like to live downtown - in a trendy young people area with bars and restaurant. Please help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 11:35 PM

20 posts, read 41,634 times
The Gulch or SoBro are both pretty hip

Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,429 times
What's your price range?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
The Gulch would be an option. There aren't a lot of people that live there now as most of the condo's are pretty new and sales have been hurt by the recession (like they have everywhere) but I forsee good things in the future for the area.

Another option might be East Nashville/Inglewood. There are lot's of younger people moving there so the scene will be a little more established than anything downtown. It's probably a little less than a mile from downtown on the side the Titan's stadium is on. I've walked and riden my bike downtown many times and a cab ride is 5$ (or plenty of bus routes are available). I wouldn't recommend walking after dark though even though I have plenty of times with no incidents. There's a group of bars/restaurants/cool shops in a location called "Five Points" (To name some - 3 Crow Bar, Beyond The Edge, Margot, The 5 Spot (music venue), Rumours East, Lipstick Lounge, Mad Donna's, Battered and Fried, Marche, Drifters, Rood Door East, Art and Invention). There's also some more little intersections all around East Nashville/Inglewood with retail - Intersection of Eastland and Chapel - (Rosepper/Eastland Cafe/Ugly Mugs), Riverside Village (Inglewood - Wantanabe, Mitchel's Deli, Sip Cafe, Castrillo's Pizza, East Nashville School of Music, a salon, A Bark Above (pets)). Inglewood would not be as walkable but everything is nearby. There's also easy acess to Shelby Park and a part of the Metro Greenway that winds across the river over a new walking bridge to Two Rivers Park in Donelson. To sum it up, I've heard a lot of people compare East Nashville to Austin in the late 70's, more liberal than the rest of Nashville with tons of artists, musicians, beautiful renovated old school houses, tightnit communitites, grit, the projects - it has it all.

Other options would be Hillsboro Village (near Vandy - would be more pricey), 12 Ave South/Belmont area, and possibly some areas of North Nashville (Germantown). I would do a search on this site for pro's and con's of each area. Good luck.

Last edited by yank283; 09-22-2009 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 AM

31 posts, read 106,884 times
I don't know what type of living arrangement you're looking at (house, condo, etc) but I started weighing my options for living downtown back in January of this year. I looked at condos, lofts, one out at Werthan Lofts-Germantown (which happens to be a total work of art, might I add! beautiful) and many of these places were nice, but lots of units are owned by people who a) don't live here and just come to Nash on business and stuff and b) have it as a second home. It didn't feel like you were "getting away" from all the noise and bustle and you just really don't get much bang for your buck! Some of the places were like glorified hotel rooms. That's why I'm gonna have to second Yank on East Nashville. I am 23 and I just moved there. It's one of the more walk/bike friendly parts of town, it's lively, diverse, and while I am very close to downtown, I still lie in bed at night and feel like I'm in the country-- it's quiet with the exception of a dog barking every now and then and I never thought I would hear crickets! It definitely has a community feel, appreciating property values, and in the morning it smells good outside. The people who love it REALLY love it. And if you're looking for trendy, this place has it.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:57 AM

153 posts, read 525,933 times
Easy, East Nashville or Hillsboro/Belmont.

Don't bother looking downtown yet. The irony is you will have to drive everywhere (restaurants, groceries, even music, etc...).

Old 09-29-2009, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 7,948 times
Default 5-Points

Hi I'm relocating to Nashville could someone tell me where 5points is???? (What streets?).

Thanks

Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Five points is over in East Nashville, look for Woodland Street and 11st Street. It's a few blocks east of the stadium.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:03 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
By the way, I too would probably suggest first looking in the Midtown area (that's around West End, the Gulch, Vanderbilt, 21st Avenue).

Old 10-03-2009, 11:03 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
a3sunny. I see you are moving from Royal Oak which is yuppie/young folks central. If you are looking for something comparable, I would check out Hillsboro Village, Vanderbilt area, West End, Gulch, maybeeee Green Hills (although it isn't "downtown).

Unless you are looking for a change, I am not sure you will like East Nashville as it is a neighborhood in transition and nothing like Royal Oak. If you are open to a fun neighborhood and aren't overly scared by your surroundings then you will like East Nashville around Five Points. You will just have to come down and see for yourself and you will quickly figure out if it is for you. Good luck with your possible relocation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: