Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:49 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times

Advertisements

I-24 is tons more safe than the two-lane alternatives. Also, that stretch of Interstate is far safer now than twenty years ago. The only part that makes me even remotely nervous is the sharp curve at the western end (downhill side) of the west-bound lanes.

Here's some advice for handling that (or any other parts):
Stay in the right (outside) lane and slow down to 45 (you don't want to go any slower than that!!!!) as you descend from that rest stop at the top to the curve. I'm pretty sure the speed posting is 45MPH (if not 50)... but you can help yourself very much if you don't have a lot of cars around you. When you go down, make sure you have space on both sides just to negotiate the turns. So if you have to do so, travel at non-peak times. I find that one car on my left can make it seem like I'm boxed in and heightens my anxiety. Otherwise, going down the mountain on the Eastbound side is very safe (keep it at around 55MPH) with three wide lanes, and keep in mind (God forbid) if you need the runaway vehicle berms on the inside, then they are there. Of course, you should always have your brakes checked and replaced according to the manufacturers specs. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 06:46 PM

82 posts, read 167,558 times
There is no big deal about driving I-24 through Monteagle. There are many Mountain highways all across the country. Try driving through the Mighty Rockies in the West. The Rockies are hiundreds of miles long and several hundred miles wide in various places. I've been coming through Monteagle for over 45 years from Chicago to Atlanta. Before I-24 was constructed most all traffic took U.S. 41. It was the main highway from Chicago to Miami. Imagine the traffic on two lane U.S.41, which is far more curvy and dangerous than I-24.

My advice is drive careful and enjoy the ride and scenery. Drive with a content frame of mind, take your time but dont get in front of the trucks driving 35mph. Do the speed limit, and it's just a eight minute ride either up or down the Cumberland Mountain plateau. And drive safe at all times.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,561 times
ok i see all these post are form 2009 ...are there any better ways to go around the monteagle mountains...i am freeking out about having to do the drive from iowa to florida

Old 01-11-2015, 10:18 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmslls6364 View Post
ok i see all these post are form 2009 ...are there any better ways to go around the monteagle mountains...i am freeking out about having to do the drive from iowa to florida

I don't know where in Iowa to where in Florida but I suppose if you didn't mind adding about 4 hours to the drive, you could take 55 down into Mississippi and take I 10 across the way if you want flat driving.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:34 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,015,823 times
Once you get in Nashville take I-40 East toward Knoxville. You will come to Cookeville, look for Hwy 111 south, take that until you come upon Hwy 27, north of Chattanooga. It will merge into Hwy 27 South, going into Chattanoooga. Take the Hwy 153 exit. Hwy 153 will take across Chickamauga Dam then on to I-75 .

Old 01-12-2015, 12:56 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I went to college on top of that mountain and really don't see what the big deal is, especially if it isn't snowy or icy. Just use common sense as well as your brakes frequently and you'll be fine.
And stay to the right if you are going slow. I have come up on many drivers spooked by the hill sitting in the passing lane going 10 to 20mph under the speed limit.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:48 PM

455 posts, read 651,991 times
Once you tackle your fear of Monteagle you can take this on, lol: [URL="http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/635-million-dollar-highway-usa.html"]Million Dollar Highway[/URL]

Old 01-12-2015, 07:09 PM

3,048 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
I don't know where in Iowa to where in Florida but I suppose if you didn't mind adding about 4 hours to the drive, you could take 55 down into Mississippi and take I 10 across the way if you want flat driving.
You could try the new I-22 from near Memphis to Birmingham. Most of the construction is at the 2 ends.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:15 PM

593 posts, read 1,356,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
The same can be accomplished by coming to Nashville, but then taking 65 South. At Montgomery, hop onto US 231 as if headed to Panama City, and catch up with I-10 in the Florida panhandle. Won't add a lot of time, especially relative to a trip that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Once you get in Nashville take I-40 East toward Knoxville. You will come to Cookeville, look for Hwy 111 south, take that until you come upon Hwy 27, north of Chattanooga. It will merge into Hwy 27 South, going into Chattanoooga. Take the Hwy 153 exit. Hwy 153 will take across Chickamauga Dam then on to I-75 .
I love that drive, but if someone's shying away from Monteagle, that part of 111 that crosses the mountain isn't going to be fun either.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:26 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,015,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
I love that drive, but if someone's shying away from Monteagle, that part of 111 that crosses the mountain isn't going to be fun either.
That's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville