Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:55 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClady View Post
I don't know how Franklin is today but 40 years ago when I lived in Spring Hill. We always thought it to be a snobbish tea party town. I did love the boys at the Battle Ground Academy . There was nothing between Spring Hill and Franklin except beautiful rolling hills. Then Saturn came in. I will be in Spring Hill tomorrow for a week. My 93 year old Mother is being operated on in Franklin, so I hope they have good doctors there. My daughter lives in Belle Meade in Nashville, thats a nice area.
I assume if its in Franklin, its Williamson Hospital which is excellent.

Diane

Old 07-31-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapingFaith View Post
No, don't know about employment yet. I will choose my home and then my job. It's going to be a tough decision - but Bellevue is definately a strong contender. I haven't been to Murfreesboro yet so I don't have an opinion except for the beautiful homes that come up on my search engines and I dont put less than .25 acres and 2750 sq ft and the show just begins in the Boro! I am also taking into consideration a post I saw about Williamson Cty - although having a great school system not having magnet schools (which may be something I might need) so I am moving further and further away from a Franklin choice.
Hi, I live in Nashville less than a 1/4 mile from the Brentwood Border. I love it here. My daughter will be going to college in Murfreesboro, Middle Tennessee State U. So you see Murfreesboro is a college town, which is a good thing. MTSU is the largest all on campus University in Tn. Lots of shopping and businesses in the Boro.A new shopping center is being built now. There is employment there.I would recommend the Boro,
I chose the area I am in because I did not want a long commute for my husband, we had that in NJ to NY. I happened to have a friend in Brentwood that I met on line about 9 years ago on a cruise group(I'm a travel agent)It turned out her sister was a realtor and she sold me this house. Hermitage would be the way the traffic is going(we checked that out) , same with Hendersonville. Here he is home in 20-25 min. He asked for a transfer here. We wanted to leave NJ , so bad. I've been here a year now and still love it.We also looked in Franklin, but did not find the perfect house because things were selling to fast and what was available wasn't the dream house what I bought.
You have to take into consideration why some chose an area. If you receive so much from one house you must reinvest most of it. I came from NJ where houses were selling a lot more than I orginally paid. True, A year earlier I could have gotten a lot more. Now, forget it, things are just sitting there.
What I bought here would cost 3x the amount in NJ and the taxes on it would be about $20,000 a yr, Here I pay less than half of what I paid there for a smaller home, 2200sq there, here, 4200sq. and this house was $32,000 less than what I sold there for.
Diane G

Old 07-31-2007, 08:58 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Shen-

I don't want to come off as argumentative (hard to tell sometimes with no face-to-face), but Franklin isn't all cookie cutter and golf course communities. That's not what you meant, right? I mean, those exist everywhere, and Franklin's no exception. There's a variety, though. Just look at all the beautiful and distinctive homes off the square, old family farms, custom homes on big spreads on S. Carothers, Arno, off old 96, etc.

I'd hate for someone unfamiliar with the area to get the wrong idea and think the generic 2-story brick is all there is in Franklin.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:59 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
MTSU is the largest all on campus University in Tn.
No, it is not. MTSU has the largest undergraduate enrollment in Tennessee, but the University of Tennessee's Knoxville campus has 6 times more graduate students than MTSU, so UTK is still the largest single university in Tennessee.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:21 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Default You're a professor at UT, right?

As usual, JMT is right.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:48 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
As usual, JMT is right.
Thanks, akm4! And yes, I do teach at UTK. It's a fantastic place to teach.

In fall 2006, MTSU had just over 22,000 students, UTK had just under 27,000.

But MTSU had about 21,000 undergrads, UTK had just under 21,000 undergrads, making MTSU the largest university in the state for undergrads. But serious students (grad students) still overwhelmingly choose UTK.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:23 PM

14 posts, read 53,141 times
Give me a break with your title - Franklin suck? Whats that all about? Franklin is a great area. I personally like Dallas / Frisco TX a whole lot more, but oh well. For Nashville, the Franklin-Brentwood-Green Hills area is where the relo's are moving to due to jobs. Area has good schools, good shopping, attractive new affordable housing (try living in CA), plenty of new people so you are not stuck in TN with neighbors who don't know what its like to be from another area or state. It may not be for all, but its a good area - and, no - I don't live there, but I do know the area.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:02 AM

12 posts, read 37,843 times
That is right... everywhere can be a good place it all depends on your needs. Antioch, La Vergne etc are all good places as well with good and bad sections, etc...it all depends on your needs. Franklin is a nice place but prices have gone up very high. There are a lot of hot new upcoming places like Murfreesboro, Providence, Hendersonville, and many others etc.. which may and possibly eclipse Williamson/ Franklin soon ....10+ yrs or more. Compare the schools if you have kids, school exam scores, lakes if any, growth, etc...

Old 08-03-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
No, it is not. MTSU has the largest undergraduate enrollment in Tennessee, but the University of Tennessee's Knoxville campus has 6 times more graduate students than MTSU, so UTK is still the largest single university in Tennessee.
I said ALL On one Campus. UT is spread out . Parts of the campus may be miles away. You canot walk the entire campus.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:35 AM

162 posts, read 550,768 times
Areas of Franklin have had a lot of suburban sprawl - but if you drive 10 minutes in any direction you can find open land, sprawling city parks, golf courses, convenient shopping, new restaurants and even the historic square. There is a lot of convenience and choice.

Hermitage has great, old growth trees throughout neighborhoods, one of the best public golf courses around, the historic Hermitage estate and is just more affordable. The funny thing about the provocative post is that some of the benefits or attractions to Franklin... are found in Hermitage at a (thankfully) lower price.

Can't that just be a good thing on its own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville