Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,799 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! In March we'll be moving to the Nashville area (3 young boys), and so far, from all the research I've done, I've honed in on these towns (Mount Juliet, Hendersonville, Murfreesboro, and Franklin) as places that may work for us.

In Feb. I'll be coming up to do some scouting, and see what area "feels" right, but I did want to ask you, if you live in one of these towns, what do you think I should see, that makes your town special/unique from the others.

What I am looking for is ideas about how your town is special, what you really like about it, what makes it feel like home to you. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:59 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
For M'boro and Franklin I would check out the downtowns. Hendersonville the lake and I'm not sure about Mt. Juliet.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:24 AM

32 posts, read 57,306 times
I would like to share some thoughts with you....

After almost two years of research and four visits to Middle TN, we JUST purchased a home in Mt. Juliet. We are moving there from Long Island, NY.

We have a 2 1/2 year old AND a large family who would be coming to visit and stay with us. We chose Mount Juliet because of many reasons, the first being the schools. Next was plenty things to do for the family, being in close proximity to Nashville, the airport, tons shopping, and many conveniences and still staying within our budget on our home price.

If you would like a realtor who is VERY patient, NO pressure person, I have just the guy for you! He stayed with us for over a year, took us back and forth and all around, answered ALL of our questions and helped us every step of the way!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
For M'boro and Franklin I would check out the downtowns. Hendersonville the lake and I'm not sure about Mt. Juliet.
I've been to Franklin's cute downtown. M'boro is more spread out it seems. I drove around a "square" with a lot of attornies' offices. Is that where you're talking about, or is there another area?

The lake at Hendersonville is looooong. Any good areas to stop at there? Like parks, or some town center or something?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegto View Post
I would like to share some thoughts with you....

After almost two years of research and four visits to Middle TN, we JUST purchased a home in Mt. Juliet. We are moving there from Long Island, NY.

We have a 2 1/2 year old AND a large family who would be coming to visit and stay with us. We chose Mount Juliet because of many reasons, the first being the schools. Next was plenty things to do for the family, being in close proximity to Nashville, the airport, tons shopping, and many conveniences and still staying within our budget on our home price.

If you would like a realtor who is VERY patient, NO pressure person, I have just the guy for you! He stayed with us for over a year, took us back and forth and all around, answered ALL of our questions and helped us every step of the way!
Actually, I am leaning toward Mt. Juliet as my #1, for all the reasons you mentioned, plus I have family in Cookeville, which puts us a little closer in that direction. And my husband would need to commute to Nashville daily, and that's kind of a straight shot, with the sun at your back.

We do need good schools (which I've been researching), b/c 2 of my boys will need some special ed. classes. I've been looking at the Lakeview and Stoner Creek elem. schools, specifically.

If you could DM me the name of your realtor, that would be super. Thanks!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 AM

160 posts, read 502,830 times
I'm glad you're leaning towards MJ, of course, that's because I live there! I think each area is different.
Mount Juliet: Very conservative but welcoming. So many people have moved here over the last few years that you're likely to live on a street with people from all over the country. Very suburban, though we are getting a good shopping core near the main interstate exit, talk of a new city center in the middle of town, and plans for a big corporate/buisness complex on the east side of town. And yes, driving with the sun on your back to and from work is wonderful!
As far as schools, Lakeview has the most money and parental support. After that I'd go with MJ, it was decent when we moved to town but with the elementary school, the overcrowding problems are gone. Then Elizie Patton (the new school in the old MJMS building) and Stoner Creek seem to be about even. Then you have Rutland, West and Wright, which are all good but just not as good as the others. As far as the city of MJ goes, my only complaint is the lack of parks (we have 1 real park for the whole city).
Hendersonville: It's like Mt. Juliet, but more grown up. It's bigger and has more of everything, including more lake access and more public parks. If my originial job hadn't been in southeast Nashville we very well could have ended up here. In fact, some good friends moved from MJ to Hendersonville last year (to be closer to his work) and they love it.
Murfreesboro: The biggest city out of all of these. MTSU has a big presence, but the city is not defined by it. Schools are good, but probably below the other 3 locations.
Franklin: Much more upscale and some trendy areas. Prices to match, but the best public schools and easy access to parks and shopping.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbva View Post
I'm glad you're leaning towards MJ, of course, that's because I live there! I think each area is different.
Mount Juliet: Very conservative but welcoming. So many people have moved here over the last few years that you're likely to live on a street with people from all over the country. Very suburban, though we are getting a good shopping core near the main interstate exit, talk of a new city center in the middle of town, and plans for a big corporate/buisness complex on the east side of town. And yes, driving with the sun on your back to and from work is wonderful!
As far as schools, Lakeview has the most money and parental support. After that I'd go with MJ, it was decent when we moved to town but with the elementary school, the overcrowding problems are gone. Then Elizie Patton (the new school in the old MJMS building) and Stoner Creek seem to be about even. Then you have Rutland, West and Wright, which are all good but just not as good as the others. As far as the city of MJ goes, my only complaint is the lack of parks (we have 1 real park for the whole city).
Hendersonville: It's like Mt. Juliet, but more grown up. It's bigger and has more of everything, including more lake access and more public parks. If my originial job hadn't been in southeast Nashville we very well could have ended up here. In fact, some good friends moved from MJ to Hendersonville last year (to be closer to his work) and they love it.
Murfreesboro: The biggest city out of all of these. MTSU has a big presence, but the city is not defined by it. Schools are good, but probably below the other 3 locations.
Franklin: Much more upscale and some trendy areas. Prices to match, but the best public schools and easy access to parks and shopping.
Thanks for that detailed info. That's great!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:41 AM

13 posts, read 35,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbva View Post
talk of a new city center in the middle of town,
What and where is the new city center going to be?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 AM

116 posts, read 440,150 times
The new city center will be on the SE corner of E Division and Mt Juliet Rd, just south of the train station. Preliminary plans have been approved.

See pages 5 and 15 here:
Chronicle 1-27-10 Edition

There will likely be a new city hall, and mixed use developments. It will have more of an "old" town feel. IMO this is something that the area lacks, and will benefit greatly from.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:47 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
I've been to Franklin's cute downtown. M'boro is more spread out it seems. I drove around a "square" with a lot of attornies' offices. Is that where you're talking about, or is there another area?

The lake at Hendersonville is looooong. Any good areas to stop at there? Like parks, or some town center or something?
The center of the city is where Main Street crosses Drakes Creek Lake. There's a nice park there and even a little island on the lake with a pedestrian bridge. There are several other great parks spread throughout the city and a nice Greenway system has just opened up as well.

Unfortunately, the city is so new that there is no historic town center like in Franklin or Gallatin. However, the city has recently zoned most of this area as a new "Town Center" zone. The city has plans to completely change the look of this area into something that resembles a small town square. The project will take a long time to complete but it is ambitious.

The liveliest part of the city is the Streets of Indian Lake Development. It's a mixed-use community on Indian Lake Blvd. In the center of the shopping area there's a large plaza which is used for many festivals and a farmers market during the summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville