Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 01:38 AM

7 posts, read 46,609 times

Advertisements

I am moving with my family (wife and child) to Nashville from NYC. We are looking to live in an urban area that will provide the least amount of culture shock from Manhattan (ie - easiest walking, most diversity, and good social scene) and we would also like to be near Vanderbilt Medical Center (walking distance ideally). It sounds like Hillsboro Village would be the best choice for us from what I've read.

We won't have much time to come down and look for apartments. We think that the best idea would be to find an apartment complex because it would be the most efficient way to find something quickly with a known reputation and because we like the idea of being part of some type of community (pool, gym, courtyard, etc) that would enable us to perhaps meet other people when we move in addition to the convenience of the amenities.

Are there apartment complexes in Hillsboro Village or is it mostly smaller buildings? Are there any that anybody recommends? So far, I've found The Village at Vanderbilt and Century Hillsboro Village.

Also looking for comments on:
Is Hillsboro Village the best choice for a young family or should we look elsewhere?
Good pre-schools in the area, especially Montessori?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 AM

253 posts, read 869,262 times
For pre-school you will need to look at private options: Woodmont, St. George's Westminister.
A lot of the apartment complexes in Hillsboro Village are more geared towards students, I'd recommend looking at houses for rent in the area, where accessibility will be the same.
However, if you really want an apartment, I'd recommend Village at Vanderbilt or Twenty & Grand. If memory serves me correct, they're "nicer" than a lot of the other apartments around there.
Good Luck...

Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,946 times
I think Shino306 is right that you will encounter a lot of students in the apartment complexes near Vanderbilt, but you may find that the advantages of a walkable neighborhood and proximity to work outweigh any associated negatives (noise, partying, etc.)

Or maybe you'll want to join in the parties!

Anyway, I have two other suggestions. If you want to be in an area that reminds you of Manhattan, you might prefer the new highrises of the Gulch neighborhood. That's also one of the most chi-chi neighborhood in terms of restaurants, bars, lounges, etc. I think the buildings there are mostly condos, but given the state of Nashville's condo market, you could probably find many vacant units for rent.

Another option might be the Grove Whitworth or Grove Richland - Grove Whitworth Apartments | Apartments for rent in Nashville TN managed by NTS, Grove Richland Apartments | Apartments for rent in Nashville TN managed by NTS

In both cases, you're about a 5-minute drive or 1-2 mile walk from the Medical Center.

Good luck with the move! My wife and I just moved from NYC to Nashville about 6-weeks ago. We love it here, but we (especially me) were definitely looking for something very different than NY.

It sounds like you're in a bit of a different situation and leaving NYC with some reluctance.

My advice to you (and it would be the same to anyone coming from a bigger city to Nashville) is to not dwell on what Nashville does NOT have compared to NYC, because no city in America can compare with the diversity, variety and sheer magnitude of choice in that NYC has. But rather to focus on what Nashville does have that NY does not - the friendliness, the cleanliness, the wealth of accessible and affordable great live music, the fantastic Southern/American food, the beautiful natural surroundings. Try to slow down, relax and enjoy the wonderful quality of life down here, y'all I hope you will enjoy Nashville as much as we do.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:39 AM

7 posts, read 46,609 times
Thanks for the advice. So, it seems like the condos/apartments in the luxury buildings are more expensive in the Gulch than Hillsboro Village, but I will definitely check them out when we go for a visit.

I'm excited to see what life is like in Nashville. I can't believe that you can get 1100 sq foot apartments for under $2,000!!! And in Hillsboro village, which from what I understand, is a pricey area? The complexes look VERY nice... but you have me concerned about them being packed with college kids throwing keggers. We are pretty tolerant and don't mind being around younger kids, but don't want to have loud parties next door at night. It would be nicer to be in a community with other parents as well, in order to meet others who we could be friends with.

And thanks for the tips on moving from NYC to Nashville. We are nervous for the big change, but excited at the same time. We don't know anybody in the area, but I am pretty easy to please. As long as there are people who are genuinely friendly, open-minded, and there are fun bars to hang out at.... I think I'll like it.

Last edited by delta44j; 02-06-2010 at 05:58 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 09:25 AM

253 posts, read 869,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta44j View Post
Thanks for the advice. So, it seems like the condos/apartments in the luxury buildings are more expensive in the Gulch than Hillsboro Village, but I will definitely check them out when we go for a visit.

I'm excited to see what life is like in Nashville. I can't believe that you can get 1100 sq foot apartments for under $2,000!!! And in Hillsboro village, which from what I understand, is a pricey area? The complexes look VERY nice... but you have me concerned about them being packed with college kids throwing keggers. We are pretty tolerant and don't mind being around younger kids, but don't want to have loud parties next door at night. It would be nicer to be in a community with other parents as well, in order to meet others who we could be friends with.

And thanks for the tips on moving from NYC to Nashville. We are nervous for the big change, but excited at the same time. We don't know anybody in the area, but I am pretty easy to please. As long as there are people who are genuinely friendly, open-minded, and there are fun bars to hang out at.... I think I'll like it.
When I said students, I meant more grad students. A lot/most undergrads live on campus. So you shouldn't have too much interaction with keggers. When I lived in Hillsboro Village most of my neighbors were Vandy med students and this was when even more u-grads lived off campus than they do today.

People here are genuinely friendly so you shouldn't have any problems finding your own groove...Welcome to Nashville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville