Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:36 PM

94 posts, read 69,650 times

Advertisements

Germantown's still kind of small and the area surrounding it is very industrial. It's really not too suited for retail but Germantown has kind of changed that with their mix of retail and family homes. I think it's going to be hard for Germantown to grow because the boundaries are kind of restricted. They put up a ton of condos over there... District Lofts, the one right next to it, Werthan, etc... kind of oversatuated right now.

spl: did you check out 5th and Main? I know you mentioned you checked out mc3 in east nashville and it didn't have covered parking but 5th & Main does.

I do really like Werthan but 5th & main is nicer imo.

Btw - It's probably closer to go to downtown than east nashville from germantown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 06:03 PM
CR9

14 posts, read 30,514 times
Germantown actually has almost no bad parts. There are areas around it that are bad but I'm not sure what you would consider bad within the Germantown boundaries. There are still many industrial lots, but thats rapidly changing. Bristol owns a huge parcel in Germantown as does H.G. Hill Realty both of which will be developed with mix use eventually. A group of New York investors bought the huge warehouse between 1st and 2nd which takes up a whole city block, with plans to eventually develop it. Germantown Station will soon be filling the former industrial lot at 4th and Van Buren and Michael Roos is developing The Square at 4th and Madison, replacing an old warehouse. The statement that Germantown doesn't have any room to grow is completely false. The industrial component of the area is disappearing at a steady pace and will continue. The neighborhood will eventually stretch to the river. Keep in mind the boundaries of Germantown, were not discussing Sulphur Dell or Salemtown, both of which have a lot of room to grown themselves.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 PM

41 posts, read 87,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrr View Post
It's majority-Black over here sans Five Points and you really need to be careful when and where you are. Things can go from fine to really bad real quick. The problem is there are a lot of government/project homes and often times those people spill over to the 'white' areas over on Shelby and some of the condos. Usually just theft but often there is murder and gang related violence.
Be very careful... when you posit "majority-Black" with crime, you are perpetrating a common, but outmoded stereotype. Just say that there's a lot of crime going on around Five Points! You don't have to associate with race.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:46 PM

126 posts, read 326,903 times
Germantown is awesome!

Old 12-24-2011, 05:03 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrr View Post
I live in East Nashville.

Yeah, Five Points is cool but that's really about it. Anywhere else, be careful.

It's majority-Black over here sans Five Points and you really need to be careful when and where you are. Things can go from fine to really bad real quick. The problem is there are a lot of government/project homes and often times those people spill over to the 'white' areas over on Shelby and some of the condos. Usually just theft but often there is murder and gang related violence.
I know this is an old post, but I felt it was necessary to clarify something...

The entirety of East Nashville (bordered by the river, I-65, and Briley Pkwy) had 59,000 people at the 2010 Census, and was 48.3% white, 42.1% black, 6.0% Hispanic, and 1.2% Asian.

I don't want to start a race argument here...but the idea that everywhere outside of Five Points is majority black is laughable. Most of the east side of Gallatin Rd. is majority white...and heavily so (83% in Lockeland Springs area, about 62% in Five Points, and about 68% in Eastwood, and 70-75% in most of Inglewood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: