Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,750 times

Advertisements

There may be an opportunity to move to Franklin, TN from Orange county, CA.
I have been in Orange county for last 12 years. I have some questions about relocation.
> If company doesn't pay for relocation, approximately how much it may cost for a family of 4 with 2 cars to relocate
> Other thread it says "No state tax" but high sales tax including food products, so taking all these into consideration - how much are cost savings in Franklin,tn compared to Orange county, ca
> About schools for kids and colleges - One of the other thread mentioned that costs per year for schools would range between 10k to 15k. It didn't say for what grades and i guess this has to be for a private school. How are public schools based on your experience so far after Ford and Nissan moved from orange county to TN
> Compared to orange county, ca - what do you like in nashville other than good housing, less cost of living,...?
> Also when it comes to job opportunities - heard that Nissan is one of big employers in Franklin, other than Nissan what kind of companies are there and how are the job opportunities for freshers & experienced in IT or non-IT fields.

Thanks in advance for all your inputs..really appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 04:21 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,552,326 times
We relocated from the east coast. Our relocation expenses were paid for, but I'm guessing they were about $25K. That said... I wouldn't have paid someone to come and pack all of my old house. I would have done it myself if I was paying for it.

We paid about $20K/yr in state income tax back east. I can assure you we don't spend anywhere close to that on sales tax in TN. I'll bet we spend about $2K/yr on sales tax. Our propert taxes are the same in TN as they were back east. Our town had the lowest property taxes in our state and our houses cost the same amount

We are in privates schools. Schools are what you make of them, but I think the public schools here are huge. Our public school back east had 2 classes at each grade. Here they have 5+ classes for each grade. We are definitely saving money on private school tuition. We had just started attending a private school for middle school when we relocated. The difference in tuition btwn Nashville and back east is about $15K/yr we are saving. Also childcare is a lot cheaper. The preschool one of my kids was set to attend before we relocated was $18k/yr. For the same hours/instructional philosophy it is under $8k/yr.
Nashville and the burbs is a great family area.

One of the biggest industries in middle tn is health care. Lots of healthcare jobs but also corporate jobs since those companies are all headquartered here. Healthcare has a lot of IT needs too.

That said it isn't as easy as it used to be to find a job. Unemployment is still around 10%. It seems to be opening up a bit, but I definitely wouldn't move without a job.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 AM

374 posts, read 694,045 times
We moved from Los Angeles last year and paid $7k for moving van and $700 per car (add a bit more if you want it covered/protected from elements).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: