Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:04 AM

13 posts, read 69,323 times

Advertisements

Hi,
First timer here so go easy on me. We (family of 4) live in Michigan and may be moving to TN - Nashville or Knoxville area. Not certain which location for hubby's job. We are looking for small town atmosphere to raise our children. Not used to BIG CITY life and long commutes either. Our son will be a freshman this coming year and another entering Kindergarten, but with all the research I've done so far, I'm not finding info regarding smaller schools. It looks like most schools are based on Counties which means large. Am I getting this right? I'm a bit confused because up north, our schools are arranged by districts and can range from small to large depending on city/town size. Am I making any sense? We are looking for small town, small schools and not a horrible commute to larger city. Sounds like a perfect life? Is it available. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
L from Michigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 13,840 times
Default Try Williamson County

Try Williamson County...close to Nashville with plenty of jobs locally and great schools. For an even smaller hometown feeling try Leipers Fork. It is very hot right now with its music scene and beautiful location. Only unfortunate thing about Williamson County is that it is almost too popular and the prices reflect that.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:37 PM

13 posts, read 80,572 times
Default Price Range?

It really depends on how much you want to spend on a home. There are nice small towns around Nashville but the closer to town (shorter commute) the more the housing proces are. Nolensville is a town that is growing a lot lately but still has a nice small town feel. the schools are decent in Williamson County but Davidson County schools are terrible! There are some fairly decent private schools in the area and those that can afford to usually send their kids to private schools. It sounds like Knoxville might be a better choice for your family from what little I know about that area but I wouldn't know where to tell you to look.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Need to find out about that job, first.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:42 PM

23 posts, read 57,339 times
Hey there,

Maybe I can be of some assistance. Southern Williamson County is a great place. My wife and our (2 ELM and 1 Preschool) kids live there. Thompsons Station / Spring Hill area. We moved here 4 years ago from Fort Laud, FL and love it. The people are so friendly, the schools are great even the new high school from what I have heard from others is great. Williamson Cnty is one of the richest counties in the US because all the Recording $$$ is here, which feeds into the county and the schools... The southern part is what is just coming on the map as folks are catching wind of it. Email me and I'd be happy to get you started with some resources...don't be overwhelmed..be excited!!!

Blessings,
Steve

Old 06-19-2007, 06:25 PM

22 posts, read 60,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMissall View Post
Hey there,

Maybe I can be of some assistance. Southern Williamson County is a great place. My wife and our (2 ELM and 1 Preschool) kids live there. Thompsons Station / Spring Hill area. We moved here 4 years ago from Fort Laud, FL and love it. The people are so friendly, the schools are great even the new high school from what I have heard from others is great. Williamson Cnty is one of the richest counties in the US because all the Recording $$$ is here, which feeds into the county and the schools... The southern part is what is just coming on the map as folks are catching wind of it. Email me and I'd be happy to get you started with some resources...don't be overwhelmed..be excited!!!

Blessings,
Steve
I've taken a job down on Gaylord Street in Nashville. Wouldn't Thompson Station / Spring Hill too far? I don't wish to have over an hour commute though I want my childeren to be in a good school system.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:28 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejk67 View Post
I've taken a job down on Gaylord Street in Nashville. Wouldn't Thompson Station / Spring Hill too far? I don't wish to have over an hour commute though I want my childeren to be in a good school system.
I certainly wouldn't want the commute from Spring Hill to Donelson every day. Especially since there's other choices. People here have said the schools in Hendersonville are good (I'm not familiar with them personally); if I were you, I might look there first. Or at least to the north and northwest of downtown Nashville. You'd almost be driving all the way across two counties to go from Spring Hill to Opryland.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:07 AM

22 posts, read 60,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I certainly wouldn't want the commute from Spring Hill to Donelson every day. Especially since there's other choices. People here have said the schools in Hendersonville are good (I'm not familiar with them personally); if I were you, I might look there first. Or at least to the north and northwest of downtown Nashville. You'd almost be driving all the way across two counties to go from Spring Hill to Opryland.

Thank you - this is the kind of advice I'm looking for and it's appreciated. I've found other areas too expensive like Brentwood and Franklin though I'm continually hearing great things about Williamson County. It boils down to weighing what you can afford and trying to find a decent education for your kids. Murfreesboro is looking like a good fit though I will definitely research Hendersonville.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:30 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejk67 View Post
Thank you - this is the kind of advice I'm looking for and it's appreciated. I've found other areas too expensive like Brentwood and Franklin though I'm continually hearing great things about Williamson County. It boils down to weighing what you can afford and trying to find a decent education for your kids. Murfreesboro is looking like a good fit though I will definitely research Hendersonville.
Remember that if you live to the south of Nashville (as far south as Murfreesboro), and work in the northern part of Metro, your commute could be a long one time-wise. Some days it might not be so bad, and some days it could be aggravating. Just a friendly warning.

I'd suggest looking first at some of the smaller towns closer in: LaVergne, Smyrna, Mt. Juliet (Wilson County), Hendersonville, Goodlettesville (part of G'ville is in Sumner County I believe), Millersville.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:13 PM

7 posts, read 16,897 times
hey Michigander1, have you moved yet and what advice can you give to a fellow Michigander? Also looking for a smaller family oriented community for our family. Any advice. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville