Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,441 times

Advertisements

This wild deer comes into our house.

See
Deer In House Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 08:48 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,002 times
Is that in your home ??? If it is that really is not a smart idea. First you are conditioning that animal to lose its fear of humans, as a result it will probably get hurt by one or hurt one itself. You are feeding it, teaching it to rely on humans for food. And because it feels comfortable just walking into your home you are going to have huge problems in october and november when the "Rutt" starts. That doe will release feramones to attract male deer...... male deer are very aggresive during the "Rutt" and you certainly do not them trampling down your door to get to the little one inside. I would really put a stop to that, it will become very dangerous for you and that little deer.

I just finished watching your video, what are feeding that animal , cookies ? I hope you realize that chocolate is very toxic in animals as thier systems cannot process it. I find this very disturbing actually, you need a dog or a hobby or something. Someone is going to get seriously injured because of how you are conditioning those animals. What ever sence of comfort you are getting from this is damaging to the herd of deer in your yard. You may think it is cute now, what about when some young kid gets mauled by a male in that herd because it thinks the kid has food for it. Sheesh take up knitting or something, I'm very disgusted by this entire thing now

Last edited by Old Man Winter; 09-23-2007 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: finished watching video

Old 09-23-2007, 09:18 AM

960 posts, read 1,687,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alipmusic View Post
This wild deer comes into our house.

See
Deer In House Video
Are you kidding me???
You may think its cute, but you are putting that deer in harms way.

I don't get it...it's a wild animal and your conditioning it to be dependant on you. Think of the animal instead of yourself !!

I find this to be a completely self centered display. You have no regard for that wild animal, other than thinking its cute.

Volunteer at an animal rescue if you think you have some sort of gift with animals. If you merely want to pet an animal, go to a petting zoo.

By the looks of it, you are feeding it cookies. Since when did cookies become deer food?

Absolutely, disgusting... you should be reported to the local authorities.

You are going to have those deer killed, because they aren't afraid of humans, and therefore when they become agressive, and they will, you will be the one that gets them killed by authorities.

Awful, just awful.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:07 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
These remarks are from people that do not live in areas where there are a lot of deer. They do get very used to being around the houses and people, and I have no doubt that they would occasionally get in through an open door. They don't seem to be fearful animals. Luring them out of the house with a cookie would be the most sensible way of doing it.

We have at least one that comes to visit at night, we've never seen it, but we have seen the tracks everywhere, even up on the porches. They nibble the buds from various plants. They love hydrangeas and various types of lilies.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:20 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,217 times
Those deer are being fed which helps with the big CWD problem. I live in deer country believe me.That was a nubbins buck so no problem with the heat cycle.. Deer do not just stay in a yard like that unless fed daily and if were in Wisconsin Dept. of Natural resources would be giving you some monster fines if seen that. Do the deer and us hunters a favor do not feed them. CWD brings in whole herd erradication measures.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:26 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
These remarks are from people that do not live in areas where there are a lot of deer. They do get very used to being around the houses and people, and I have no doubt that they would occasionally get in through an open door. They don't seem to be fearful animals. Luring them out of the house with a cookie would be the most sensible way of doing it.

We have at least one that comes to visit at night, we've never seen it, but we have seen the tracks everywhere, even up on the porches. They nibble the buds from various plants. They love hydrangeas and various types of lilies.
Obviously, you did not watch the video closely or you would have seen the herd waiting outside for the little deer. That would only happen if this person is feeding this animal daily.

Having deer around your home is one thing, inviting them in for a cookie is another.

Wild animals should not be fed by people... period.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:03 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,002 times
Padgett, please don't insult me. I grew up in New Hampshire, my family has a camp in pittsburg N.H. just 6 miles south of the Canadian border. I started deer hunting when I was maybe 6 years old. I spent summers and every hunting season for bow , black powder and rifle up at our camp. I have seen many herd of deer, close to camp every morning eating flowers and shrubbery and not 1 of us ever fed them !!! Deer do not get accustomed to people being around unless they are fed by people. The entire herd in that clip is waiting close to the home and not 1 jumped when the lady walked outside, why ?? because she is feeding them. Tell me, if deer are so accepting of people than why do so many hunters spend years in the woods without ever shooting 1 ???? Because they have a natural fear of humans and just the scent of a human will cause deer to travel in the other direction. What that woman is doing is against the law, and as posted above I would report her to a wildlife officer as well. It is not me that has not spent time in deer country as you put it, it is people like her that need to educate themselves about how to conduct themselves when in deer country. What will we see next.... her deer eating pizza while watching the super bowl ??? Or maybe she will knit booties for them with winter oncoming ??? Give me a break.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:41 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Sorry, we live in a heavily residential area that next to a large wooded area. The deer have been there for generations and seem to have no fear of humans. People don't feed them, but them seem to prefer the ease of feeding on flowers and shrubs. They even have to be thinned out from time to time. They are a nuisance and roam a couple of miles from the woods. We are on a small island where there are no natural predators and hunting has not been allowed for many, many years. They simply do not have fear of people. They come into the yards just like the ones on the video.

They also clean out the bird feeders and eat pet food if it's left out. We have a strict leash law so that they don't even have to worry about dogs.

Now, the deer on this video may be used to being fed. That happens too. I just wanted to point out that the animals sometimes do get so used to living close to people that they aren't afraid of them.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:00 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,650 times
Yeah..some people had this same attitude about feeding deer and my daughter was attacked by a buck at a school bus stop. They are not pets and they should not be fed and it is not cute. Furthermore if anything spooked that deer while in your house either you or the deer would get hurt.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
I personally think that this family would do better by adopting a dog or cat but thats my own opinion. I sent this video to my brother in law who is an avid hunter and he said the deer that was in the house would, as he put in his own words, "MAKE SOME GOOD EATIN". We have deer all the time down by the local lake that seem to like to hang out in the road. Sometimes if you pull up to them they will just stand there and stare at you. You have to yell at them or beep your horn to get them to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature