Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what are people's thoughts on this. What I find mostly is the round up of geese near airports, using that as a reason. We are in a hoa type community, not gated or anything, just hoa governed. The majority of the board likes the handy idea of geese culling or, as they are calling it, geese round up.

We have lakes around so, hey, water = geese. What grown up doesn't know that going in.

We are in a fairly temperate area so, hey, nice weather is why people stay here and move here. Why not the same with wild life.

I feel the term 'round up' is sugar coating and therefore there is something being sugar coated. Not a child who needs sugar coating, I am calling the process in my mind the hours long torture and then tortured death of geese. I say 'hours long' only because I don't see our community bringing in a portable gas chamber and gassing the geese fairly immediately on site.

What are anyone else's thoughts or sound info on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
We had an issue with Canadian Geese in our community. They return to their hatching place thus we ended up with 120+. Rougly one goose = 1 pound of poop/day. Needless to say the walking trails around the lake, the bridges were a mess. Then they moved into the yards of houses near the lake. Then they got agressive towards humans. It is no fun when you have a flock of geese chase you! Residents with breathing problems such as astma could not use the trails anymore because of the dust. It cost a fortune to clean the trails. HOA got permission for catch and release. Basically the geese were caught, their wing feathers clipped and they moved to catfish farms. Of course there was pro and con and a big commotion.
Your local county extension office should be able to direct you to the appropriate city/county approach partner or the respectice game warden to put your fears to rest.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,907 times
Well, if your area is like mine, you'd support any effort, as we have a fairly stable flock of several hundred who routinely spoil sidewalks, grassy areas, bus stops, etc. (an mid sized "Canadian" will defecate approx 1/4 ~ 1/3 lb per day. Larger ones = more. Multiply that times our flock of 700 ~ 800 and you can understand what the smell is like). Here the efforts have been mixed - chase w/dogs, and coat nests/eggs w/a vegetable oil mix that "suffocates" the eggs & disrupts the nest building/mating cycle. Hasn't been terribly effective. Previous efforts to release sterilized males didn't do much either. Shotguns would work, but that'd play havoc w/houses...

Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 AM

I understand hunting to eat. I used to fish and was good at filleting even as a child. We ate what we caught. I'm also aware that even when the current geese are horribly killed that more will come anyway. I'm also aware there is an expense and our association is already low on funds. So it's difficult to see the point from those perspectives.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
I thought they were protected? We have them all the time on base, have the poop trails to prove it. Most move out the way when people pass

Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
I thought they were protected? We have them all the time on base, have the poop trails to prove it. Most move out the way when people pass

Canada Geese are protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Act of 1918 . This Act makes it illegal to harm or injure a goose and damage or move its eggs and nest without a Federal permit.

USDA issues ther permit. They come out and actually do this work.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:39 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I understand hunting to eat. I used to fish and was good at filleting even as a child. We ate what we caught. I'm also aware that even when the current geese are horribly killed that more will come anyway. I'm also aware there is an expense and our association is already low on funds. So it's difficult to see the point from those perspectives.
I agree. I can understand killing to eat, and some will not even do that. I cannot understand breaking apart entire communities of animals. Their poop is biodegradable and just washes away in the rain. It does not harbor the illnesses of non vegetarian animals, like dogs. These birds often mate for life. When a mate dies some mates are known to morn, sometimes to their own demise. These are smart and thoughtful animals, sometimes parents will stray away and the 'neighbors' will watch the kids for the day.

I do not understand the hardheartedness of those who would 'get rid' of them. I question how sensitive they are to their own families, showing the callousness that they do.

I have always got these creatures to move as I walked by. The only time that they show stubbornness is when they have young, and that's commendable. I just walk slowly.

Most places round them up and gas them.

We should learn to co exist with nature rather than run rough shod over it as we've mostly done 'till now. This attitude is why we are having these atmospheric problems. Human hubris.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
I like Canada Geese. We share our walking track with a large flock. I have walked thru lots and lots of their droppings and it never makes it home to my carpet, just not a problem. However one pile of dog crap will ruin my day. I would rather walk thru 5 miles of goose droppings than step in one pile of dog crap.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
A pair of white swans will scare the geese off.
Remember, behind every 'animal problem', are humans

Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 PM

524 posts, read 843,899 times
we have a large number around here who stopped migrating. We also have goose hunters. You aren't kidding about their poop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature