Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:47 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
ParallellJJCat, the carat (^) above my comment indicates a response to the post immediately above.

I know, I'm responding to your comment I should be happy there is nature around me. I am. We have six bird feeders and two heated bird baths...I love the birds and do BirdWatch in May ever year where teams compete to see how many birds they can identify in one day. I also participate in vulture fest every year, which celebrates our area's very large population of turkey vultures. Speaking of, just a few days ago we had a visit from a flock of wild turkeys at our feeders.

So I am very happy with birds...just not this lovesick fool's obsession with my vehicle. And I did want to make it clear that for us, shooting or harming Mr. Mockingbird is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 04:26 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I know, I'm responding to your comment I should be happy there is nature around me. I am. We have six bird feeders and two heated bird baths...I love the birds and do BirdWatch in May ever year where teams compete to see how many birds they can identify in one day. I also participate in vulture fest every year, which celebrates our area's very large population of turkey vultures. Speaking of, just a few days ago we had a visit from a flock of wild turkeys at our feeders.

So I am very happy with birds...just not this lovesick fool's obsession with my vehicle. And I did want to make it clear that for us, shooting or harming Mr. Mockingbird is not an option.
You didn't quote that comment.

When male birds attack mirrors and other reflective surfaces it's not because they are lovesick. They see their (male) reflection and are attacking the dirty bird trying to edge in on their turf. From the bird's perspective, you keep parking this male bird infested machine under his home. Right under his home. Imagine how ticked off HE is.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:46 PM

Yes, I quoted the comment where you said the only thing psychological is viewing a bird obsessed with your car as an inconvenience. It IS an inconvenience. Not one I would ever support killing a bird for, but definitely an inconvenience.

I've noted numerous times that he's responding to seeing a rival...I was just making a joke with the lovesick fool part. I do wonder if part of the problem is a lack of other mockingbirds in the area. In the five years I've seen this bird around, I've never seen him with a mate or a nest. Perhaps this lack of both rivals and mates has changed his behavior when finally confronted with one, which would explain why he's so fixated and showing out of season behavior.

I've seen him numerous times 'attacking' the SUV across the street and the sedan two houses down. I'd like to find a way to keep him off everyone's cars...both to save him the energy costs of attacking a rival that can't be defeated, and to prevent someone else from seeking a permanent solution. I fear that's probably not possible though, since he's a very clever boy and quickly gets used to any of our attempts and ignores them. But yes, I'm also selfish enough to want him off MY car if at all possible.

This actually all started when my cousin visited and parked her SUV outside our house the street. I saw him that day on the side mirror for the first time...it was a new vehicle and I guess that high gloss attracted him.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:51 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Am I really the only one that finds humor in the OP complaining about a mockingbird....................errrrrrrrrrrr...... .........mocking?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 PM

My plan at this point...attempt to refocus his attention to a mirror, then phase out the mirror after a few weeks. Perhaps that will 'break' his fascination with the cars and when the mirror is gone, he'll leave the cars be...I'm hoping once the mirror is taken away, he'll think he's successfully driven off the big bad bird in it. Worth a shot, anyway.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 PM

412 posts, read 958,374 times
A car cover that will encompass the side mirrors or garbage bags tied over the offending mirrors in combination with a car cover seems like the simplest way to remove the imaginary rival and protect your car. If he doesn't see his "rival" he's not likely to spend all day pooping on your car and mucking up the cover so that should be a non-issue.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 PM

515 posts, read 778,464 times
If all else fails, use a live catch trap and when caught, cover the trap so you don't traumatize it. Take it for a 15 or 20 mile drive and release it.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
If all else fails, use a live catch trap and when caught, cover the trap so you don't traumatize it. Take it for a 15 or 20 mile drive and release it.
Then you can time how long it takes him to fly back!

I'm afraid that there's no easy solution to your situation. I've had Cardinals attacking their reflection on one of my house windows--and putting a stuffed teddy bear right inside the window seemed to break up the reflection--but with a car with so many surfaces that's not doable. Absent covering all of the reflective surfaces I don't see much else that you can do (besides aggravating him further with another mirror). Do you, by chance, have a bird feeder to otherwise keep him occupied?

Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 PM

Update...thus far, Mr. Mockingbird has been successfully distracted by the new rival bird that has appeared in his favorite tree (the mirror). I haven't seen him on any cars for the past few days. I'm going to give it a few more days, then try removing the mirror a little longer each day

Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,251,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Update...thus far, Mr. Mockingbird has been successfully distracted by the new rival bird that has appeared in his favorite tree (the mirror). I haven't seen him on any cars for the past few days. I'm going to give it a few more days, then try removing the mirror a little longer each day
Yippee! So nice that the mirror is working. I hope he's happy when you remove it and so happy he doesn't notice the cars ......... again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature