Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 08:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times

Advertisements

What good fortune.

A Mother Whale Lifts Her Calf To The Surface Providing A Memorable Experience For Lucky Tourists. [VIDEO]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 03:40 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Not exactly lifting it. Maybe trying to protect or even trying to lead it away? Not sure if the mother is familiar with the phenomenon of whale watching tourists or not. Either way, people shouldn't go out into the ocean and touch wild animals. I hope they don't transfer an illness to mother or calf. Observe, sure, but let wild animals remain wild.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:51 AM

I thought it was interesting that the people were being encouraged to touch it. And it sounds like those encouragements were coming from a tour guide or somebody in charge. That is kind of sad especially in light of the recent story about the dolphin who died after being handled and held up by tourists for pictures.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:47 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
I am sure it must be exciting to touch a whale in the wild, but that is way too close for me. I'd be scared to have a whale with a new baby inches from me in a skimpy boat.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:23 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
I'm not sure I understand the shrieking and the neediness exhibited by the humans. Why this compelling need to touch a wild animal? I'd much rather watch them in their natural habitat. Cripes, everyone needs to feel special.

Clearly the whales were happy to participate - otherwise they'd have just swum away. However, given how many whales are injured by watercraft, it's not a behavior that should be encouraged.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
I'll be the first to admit I would want to touch it, pet it, love on it, and yes......kiss it's fat snout.

If I ever experienced anything like that, I would die of happiness, right on the spot.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I'll be the first to admit I would want to touch it, pet it, love on it, and yes......kiss it's fat snout.

If I ever experienced anything like that, I would die of happiness, right on the spot.
I would also love to reach out and touch it, but I wouldn't because of what the others said.

First)
you never know what kind of germs people have that could contaminate their skin and make them ill,
Second)
one flip of that mother's tail if she feels her baby is in danger, and that boat is flying skyward.

You'd think the tour operator would have enough brains to tell everyone to keep calm and quiet, and just watch instead of touching.

That shrieking woman needs a slap upside of her head.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I had concern for all involved also. What an experience! And yes, dangers for all involved.

The short paragraph under the picture said that the whale often comes to the boat so apparently she hasn't found it an unpleasant experience.

This video was taken in Belize and they do things a little differently there than in the States. But they are becoming more environmentally conscious and eventually we'll reach a point where no one will be allowed to walk in the wild, "disturb" the animals, climb the rocks, wade in the rivers or go anywhere near the ruins.

Then we can all sit home and watch it on our computers.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Me too and I would swoon "He's so cuuuuuuuuuuuuute"

Old 06-10-2014, 04:46 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:

I know we shouldn't encourage it but the temptation when the baby is right there - is irresistible.
I would also probably die of happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature