Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:36 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,245 times

Advertisements

BLM rates are not below market in the two states where I operate. Private leases are as much since the owner knows that proper grazing improves his forage, just as it does on publicly held lands. Privately held leases also benefit from the work that the lease holder does.

Using your logic, drivers of automobiles are subsidized by not having to build their own roads if they want to get from point A to point B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 07:46 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
BLM rates are not below market in the two states where I operate. Private leases are as much since the owner knows that proper grazing improves his forage, just as it does on publicly held lands. Privately held leases also benefit from the work that the lease holder does.

Using your logic, drivers of automobiles are subsidized by not having to build their own roads if they want to get from point A to point B.

I wasn't specifically commenting on your state. I don't know your state. We looked at the entire program, Nationwide.

The automobile industry and users of automobiles are subsidized, as gas taxes don't come close to the costs of building and maintaining roads.

Subsidies aren't necessarily good or bad. They can be used to correct market failures that don't incorporate positive externalities. Still, they exists, and agriculture, including livestock, are one of the largest recipients of them in the U.S. Some see the livestock subsidies as a benefit as it reduces the cost of meat and helps secure domestic food production; others see it as a negative as it reduces the costs of meat to consumers and therefore promotes meat consumption which many see as a National health issue.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:28 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,373,595 times
At the Seattle Zoo the other day. Grey Wolves
Untitled by kanhawk, on Flickr
by kanhawk, on Flickr

Old 11-09-2014, 01:56 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I just saw this fascinating story about what happened when wolves were reintroduced at Yellowstone Park. A small thing has resulted in many favorable changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5...layer_embedded

Old 11-10-2014, 03:02 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
The wildlife biologists say that the Gray Wolf, Canis Lupus, is pretty much the same animal over all of it's range, with only minor differnces between the sub species. C. L. Irremotus, the Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf, the original wolf of the YNP ecosystem, was one of the largest subspecies. CL Occidentalis, the introduced wolf, is also large. The scientists say that the two sub species are virtually the same animal, with similar size, social structure, and hunting behavior. If there is actually a size difference, it is very small, no more than 5% or 10%.
And the "Kodiak" bear is exactly the same species as the grizzly bear common in parts of the west. Never mind that they are 3X the size. Much like wolves that evolved further north, they are much larger and stronger than animals that evolved in a (somewhat) more temperate climate.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:42 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And the "Kodiak" bear is exactly the same species as the grizzly bear common in parts of the west. Never mind that they are 3X the size. Much like wolves that evolved further north, they are much larger and stronger than animals that evolved in a (somewhat) more temperate climate.
Coastal grizzlies are larger than inland bears because they gorge on salmon. They are not 3x the size, 1.5 -2x more like it. A male grizzly in Yellowstone or Glacier Park might average 500-600 pounds. His coastal brother does not average 1500, 800-1100 more like it. Grizzlies of any subspecies that are over 1000 pounds are not as common as people like to believe.

Bergmann's Rule is not absolute, and does not hold up in the far north. Tundra grizzlys of the Arctic Slope of Alaska, the Yukon, or Nunuvut are smaller than those farther south. The wolves of, for example, Ellsmere Island, are not nearly as heavy as those under discussion.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:37 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,864 times
I watched two hunting areas I used for over 25 years lose big game to wolves (and grizzlies) the towns that counted on the seasonal hunters revenue dwindled, and forest become bone yards due to the release of these vermin. That we cannot, again, control in Wyoming. I hunt in another part of the state altogether because of them. Yes they do have a place here, but it is not over running the state killing everything they can drag down eating only a few bites and on to another chase and capture. The main body of people that put them here don't have to live with them 24/7/365.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:32 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I watched two hunting areas I used for over 25 years lose big game to wolves (and grizzlies) the towns that counted on the seasonal hunters revenue dwindled, and forest become bone yards due to the release of these vermin. That we cannot, again, control in Wyoming. I hunt in another part of the state altogether because of them. Yes they do have a place here, but it is not over running the state killing everything they can drag down eating only a few bites and on to another chase and capture. The main body of people that put them here don't have to live with them 24/7/365.
100 years ago the bulk of the population was a lot more informed about wildlife and the relationship between predators and victims than our urban-oriented society does today. There is a reason that people that lived in the woods and had to survive by raising livestock actually worked to control wolf numbers. They didn't put that much time, effort and money into wolf control just for the fun of it. I'd support trapping and transporting wolves to say, some more populated areas. Central Park would be good, as would anywhere around DC. They will find plenty of food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature