Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2014, 09:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Huge Bird Lands On Fan's Head At Seattle Seahawks Game - YouTube

Not being much of football fan, I did not know anything thing about this, but it seems that the Seattle Seahawks have a big bird that is trained to fly around the stadium for the amusement of fans. On this one occasion the bird apparently grew tired, had muscle cramps or whatever, and had to touch down. But it was in a football stadium, so the only place to touch down was on top of a fan.

I listened to an interview of the fan today.
Exclusive: Man who served as landing pad for Taima the Seahawk says talons didn't hurt - The Dori Monson Show - MyNorthwest.com

He said that the bird was clearly frightened (and so was he) and he stroked it to try to calm it down, which seemed to help. After a couple minutes the bird's trainer came up into the stands to pick it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 09:51 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
A nephew of mine was an Air Force veterinarian who got the great assignment to train a peregrine falcon for the Air Force Academy. They're treated well. I wouldn't call it abuse.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:06 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Not the wisest choice for them to have an animal in those circumstances. Could be worse. Check out this bunch of jugheads at Oral Roberts University with a bald eagle, likely frightened by their chanting U-S-A. Pitiable, unknowing animal flies into a window and the a-holes laugh about it. That's abuse: ---v

Bald Eagle Flies Into Window at ORU - YouTube

Old 11-14-2014, 09:52 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Not the wisest choice for them to have an animal in those circumstances. Could be worse. Check out this bunch of jugheads at Oral Roberts University with a bald eagle, likely frightened by their chanting U-S-A. Pitiable, unknowing animal flies into a window and the a-holes laugh about it. That's abuse: ---v

Bald Eagle Flies Into Window at ORU - YouTube
Thanks for that link.

The two scenarios appear to be virtually identical, and equally abusive. I am hard pressed to see a difference between the two. Even in both cases, the birds were lucky that they did not wind up dead or maimed from this stupidity.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:49 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Falconry shouldn't be done in crowded stadiums, so I'd say it is wrong.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:53 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
That's upsetting in both situations with the hawk and the eagle. I would think that there should be some perches around
the stadium in Seattle for the hawk to rest. Plus the feet and claws on any raptor can cause cuts. Shame on those
immature adults at that university....it wasn't funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature