Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,610 times

Advertisements

Solitude Sought in Nature Threatened by Overpopulation and Overcrowding | Californians For Population Stabilization

As people continue to immigrate both illegally and legally to the USA and Canada, we are faced with a growing population that will require more homes and infrastructure to accommodate. This means that we will need to destroy more nature to give these immigrants places to live.

It's very upsetting to realize that so much of our natural wonders in the US and Canada may disapear in a generation or two because of the large numbers of people entering these countries illegally and through birthright citizenship tactics.
This combined with the large families seen in many immigrant cultures coming from the 3rd world means that our countries will be increasingly overwhelmed with people in the coming decades.

Please consider this when you look at issues regarding immigration. The US population will increase no matter what, but we need to slow the increase if we want to actually have any nature left. Remember that much of our land is vested in farming already, so it will be forests that will be destroyed to make way for new housing, roads, hospitals, schools, etc.

Large numbers of immigrants coming to the US and Canada means large numbers of trees being cut down and wildlife habitat destroyed to make room for more people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 07:11 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
I didn't see anything mentioned in the article about illegal immigration. The problem is urban sprawl:
http://www.everythingconnects.org/urban-sprawl.html

One example is the history of Los Angeles and the Owens Valley, especially the Owens River. What
should have been a coastal town grew and spread beyond expectations and more water was
needed.
http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...red-chinatown/

Old 09-23-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I didn't see anything mentioned in the article about illegal immigration. The problem is urban sprawl:
http://www.everythingconnects.org/urban-sprawl.html

One example is the history of Los Angeles and the Owens Valley, especially the Owens River. What
should have been a coastal town grew and spread beyond expectations and more water was
needed.
http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...red-chinatown/

But what do you think a large contributing factor is to sprawl? it's an increasing population. One way to regulate population increase is to regulate immigration, but that is not happening right now. There are people streaming over the borders who care nothing for our natural resources or our nature reserves, they are coming here to have large families and make money.

When the population grows faster than the infrastructure and city planners can keep up with, then yes, you do have sprawl. Regulating immigration is key in limiting sprawl and in growing cities the smart way.

We don't have endless land here. People who come to this country illegally already do not respect our laws, so why would we expect them to respect our nature and our wildlife? Someone has to look out for the future of our wildlife and our green spaces.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:55 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
We, as a nation, allow 1 million legal immigrants into this country on an annual basis---that, and in addition, untold millions of illegal aliens are currently here. Every day, more sneak across the border or overstay a visa.

We are running out of potable water and buildable land. If we don't get a grip on the issues (reduce legal immigration, put a stop to illegal immigration), we will eventually run out of natural resources.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:12 PM

260 posts, read 428,192 times
That is so sad, especially since there is nowhere we can really go to escape it. I'm terrified to see what Europe will look like in a few months...

Old 09-24-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
That is so sad, especially since there is nowhere we can really go to escape it. I'm terrified to see what Europe will look like in a few months...
I know... I can't imagine what it will be like in 10-20 years, it will be like the middle East/Africa part 2. Completely destroying all their history and culture and I am sure cutting down more trees.

In North America we have more trees and natural spaces than Europe, and we need to preserve what we have. Trees are the lungs of the world and without them we will die. We cannot allow greedy people to invade our country and take over our land. People from 3rd world countries usually have large families which means they demand more resources when they move to the 1st world.

Population growth needs to be sustainable. We cannot destroy ourselves trying to "save" "refugees" and allowing illegals to keep coming here without our permission.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:14 PM

260 posts, read 428,192 times
Exactly. They're destroying our culture here, too. Not necessarily the illegals by themselves, but the media. Ever wonder why cultures in Asia still exist (i.e. kimonos and tea ceremony) but not in Europe/USA? They intentionally removed them. It's completely obvious now with the Confederate flag and stuff, but it gets completely ridiculous to the point where universities are banning hoop skirts because "racism."
Hoop skirts banned at UGA following Oklahoma frat video | Online Athens

It makes me so mad that they are doing this. I'm only 25 and now I won't see Europe as my dad saw it (he briefly lived in England in the 60's, took a tour of Europe). Now places of historical significance will probably get torn down just like the statues have in the Middle East. This is disgusting.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:30 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We, as a nation, allow 1 million legal immigrants into this country on an annual basis---that, and in addition, untold millions of illegal aliens are currently here. Every day, more sneak across the border or overstay a visa.

We are running out of potable water and buildable land. If we don't get a grip on the issues (reduce legal immigration, put a stop to illegal immigration), we will eventually run out of natural resources.
So true and yet you rarely if ever hear a politician talk about population control.

Just what are they waiting for?

Old 09-26-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
Exactly. They're destroying our culture here, too. Not necessarily the illegals by themselves, but the media. Ever wonder why cultures in Asia still exist (i.e. kimonos and tea ceremony) but not in Europe/USA? They intentionally removed them. It's completely obvious now with the Confederate flag and stuff, but it gets completely ridiculous to the point where universities are banning hoop skirts because "racism."
Hoop skirts banned at UGA following Oklahoma frat video | Online Athens

It makes me so mad that they are doing this. I'm only 25 and now I won't see Europe as my dad saw it (he briefly lived in England in the 60's, took a tour of Europe). Now places of historical significance will probably get torn down just like the statues have in the Middle East. This is disgusting.
very true. The media is going after bits of Americana one at a time, and trying to make them appear racist. It's a war on white Americans.... anything that is white American is now racist, including white Americans... The hoop skirts being banned is a new one! That's unbelievable to me.

The best thing we can do is try to keep our culture. Europe once had a culture and just like you mentioned, Asia and other countries all have their own cultures. Japan and China were isolationist for hundreds of years, but Japan was more so. It is extremely difficult if not impossible for a foreign person to become a citizen of Japan now. China has been criticized by human rights activists for the way they treat Tibetan buddhists, Muslims, and other ethnic or religious minorities. Not to hold China as a shining example, but the fact that they will deport Muslims shows that they are committed to preserving their thousands of years old cultural traditions.

What is sad is that America also has very old cultural traditions, including native American traditions that are being destroyed, along with our wildlife and nature that native Americans treasure so much. Mexicans come here and claim that all of America should belong to them, when it never did, and should not. There were many, many native American tribes all over this continent before whites arrived, and the Aztecs/Mixtecs did not inhabit the entire continent.

It makes me sad that the media plays in to these culture wars and is turning everyone against the natives of Europe and the United States.

The topic of my thread is nature, and that is really what kills me the most. If you look at 3rd world countries like India and China, you can plainly see that their population is completely out of control. when those people come to America they take their cultural traditions with them, which includes having large families, killing and eating all kinds of wildlife (look at Chinese culture, they eat tigers, bears, dogs, cats, etc., they eat EVERYTHING). This lifestyle will destroy our natural resources, kill our wildlife, pollute our land, and overcrowd us all. Why do you think these people are so desperate to get out of the overcrowded and polluted India and China?

Old 09-27-2015, 07:49 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
This is what "Go forth and multiply" brought us: Has Half of World's Wildlife Been Lost in Past 40 Years?. You had better save your pictures of wildlife if we continue down the same path! I will not be around to see it in the next 40 years; but your kids will not see it either - if we do not address overpopulation. We should, at the very least, discuss China's one child rule, or euthanasia, or immigration - we need to learn to deal with less; if we and our wildlife are going to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature