Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 12:56 PM

140 posts, read 166,928 times

Advertisements

I have a window in which webs keep appearing. The web is very thick - rather than a lot of space between each strand, it's very thickly/densely woven like a gray/silvery gauze. Is there any way to deduce what spider lives in it by this? I haven't seen much of the spider itself so I can't describe it very well but it is larger than usual and brown. I would appreciate it if you didn't post any images of spiders as they are disturbing to me. I know there are websites for this but the ones I checked out have lots of images so I am staying away from them. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 02:51 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
You can narrow down the family to an extent, but nailing the individual species is going to be tough if you don't have a specimen. For example, orb weavers all spin very similar looking webs, and can be differentiated between those and funnel weaver or cobweb-type weaver based on the web. There are some exceptions, for example you can tell the genus Argiope by the zigzag stabilimentum in the web, but even then if you are within range of several species of Argiope you're going to have trouble! Sorry, I know that my attempt to help probably wasn't helpful!

Can you post a picture of the web?

Old 04-15-2016, 10:01 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Location would also help

Old 04-16-2016, 02:32 PM

140 posts, read 166,928 times
I'm sorry, I meant to post my location but I forgot: I'm in New England. Thank you.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:22 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Spiders in your area are different that spiders in say Fla You can rule out Black Widow! Check the internet for spider that are native to your area.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:11 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You can rule out Black Widow! Check the internet for spider that are native to your area.

The Northern black widow, Latrodectus variolus, is found throughout New England and into Canada. From what I have observed, they seem to like moist, dark areas. I usually find them under logs and artificial debris where there is at least some moisture. That being said, I can't say for sure that they wouldn't spin their webs in the open, such as in the case of Misty's spider. I think that the Southern widow (L. mactans) is more likely to be seen in the open and does not range that far north (their range ends in Southern NJ).

Their webs are very particular looking, they are called cobweb weavers, and they do share this web pattern with other, nonvenomous spiders. If you are concerned, google 'cobweb weavers' for an example of the web and compare it with what you have.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:24 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
The web you describe is most probably made by a cobweb spider. They are quite common, harmless, and like to live in houses.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:57 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Here is a picture of a typical cobweb spider web (Without the spider)

Spoiler

For copyright compliance here is a link to the picture source: GAPING HOLES OF FREEDOM

Old 04-17-2016, 11:53 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Awwww, my orchard orbweaver spins a much nicer web! Ha ha! This thread caught my eye because I have a colorful spider on my lanai who has built quite a Taj Majal out there....but you can barely see it until the sun shines on it, and then you can see how intricate and delicate it is. Truly an engineering feat. It is circular and reminds you of a 45 rpm record. At one point part of it came down and within two days, he had another one built. I understand they eat the old web. I don't have the heart to get rid of it but eventually it has to go....I won't kill the spider though.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:12 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Awwww, my orchard orbweaver spins a much nicer web! Ha ha! This thread caught my eye because I have a colorful spider on my lanai who has built quite a Taj Majal out there....but you can barely see it until the sun shines on it, and then you can see how intricate and delicate it is. Truly an engineering feat. It is circular and reminds you of a 45 rpm record. At one point part of it came down and within two days, he had another one built. I understand they eat the old web. I don't have the heart to get rid of it but eventually it has to go....I won't kill the spider though.
Way back in my teen years (1960s) for lack of anything else to keep me occupied one summer I collected Orb spider webs. Used old empty picture frames and sort of snagged the webs Was quite beautiful. I was too ignorant to realize I was destroying the spiders food catching source. But looking back the webs of the orb spiders are very beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature