Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 08:07 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times

Advertisements

It seems a hummingbird has made a tiny little nest and is now incubating the eggs. The spot she chose is only about 6 ft from my front door in a vine. I'm thrilled to have her. I can watch everything she does from my window and she can't see me.
I'm now wondering if I should keep my front porch light off at night. It's one of those yellow lights that doesn't attract bugs. Her nest isn't very high either as I have to walk directly under it to leave and come home. I'll do my best not to disturb her but the nest will be only a few inches from my head when I use my front door. I'm keeping my fingers crossed all goes well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 09:12 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It seems a hummingbird has made a tiny little nest and is now incubating the eggs. The spot she chose is only about 6 ft from my front door in a vine. I'm thrilled to have her. I can watch everything she does from my window and she can't see me.
I'm now wondering if I should keep my front porch light off at night. It's one of those yellow lights that doesn't attract bugs. Her nest isn't very high either as I have to walk directly under it to leave and come home. I'll do my best not to disturb her but the nest will be only a few inches from my head when I use my front door. I'm keeping my fingers crossed all goes well.
I have the same thing going on with a flycatcher on the front porch.. wondered if I should turn off the light at night then I decided.. it nested there in the first place with the light on so I figure I'll keep having the light on in the evening as always.

That's pretty cool tho.. having the hummingbird nesting that close.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:36 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Both of you are lucky...

keep us updated on hummingbird eggs! Never seen a h. nestling...oh, how tiny they must be...

Old 04-30-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Both of you are lucky...

keep us updated on hummingbird eggs! Never seen a h. nestling...oh, how tiny they must be...
It's so interesting. The entire nest is only maybe 2 inches wide. She leaves frequently to refuel herself but just for a couple of minutes at a time and then comes right back and sits on the nest. Yesterday she discouraged off another female hummer that was too close for comfort. It looked like a synchronized areal dance.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I have the same thing going on with a flycatcher on the front porch.. wondered if I should turn off the light at night then I decided.. it nested there in the first place with the light on so I figure I'll keep having the light on in the evening as always.

That's pretty cool tho.. having the hummingbird nesting that close.
I think I'll do the same with the light since she already knew it was there when she built her nest just as you said. Please update us on how the flycatcher is doing when the babies are hatched.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:07 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Pics!!

Old 04-30-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Pics!!
I wish I could but whenever I open the front door she gets scared and takes off. I can't get close enough for a pic without disturbing her. I'm trying not open the front door unless I really have to. Too much in and out by me and she might abandon her nest.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:53 PM

OK, got a picture but not a good one. It's taken from inside the house looking out the window at her. She's in the middle and sitting on the nest.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:58 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
Here's mine taken in mid-January at our Mexican home. Eggs have hatched and poof! they are gone.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:07 PM

That's so cool. I don't know how long before they hatch. They probably grow very quickly.

I went out and took a better picture of the nest when she left to get something to eat.

I also took the opportunity to take a pic of the inside. It seems we're having twins, LOL.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature