Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 11:26 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,526 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I need help (non-lethal) to stop a robin from banging into my windows. It starts at the break of day, and abates at sundown. I have hung sheets, banged on the wind and scared him away, but he ALWAYS returns. I do not hunt, I have considered a B.B. gun but really don’t want to harm him. That seems to be everyone’s solution kill it. Not mine.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 12:20 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
There are sticky decals you can buy to use on windows, for this very purpose.

Or make your own to see if it will stop the activity...cut-outs to tape onto window.

I think it is usually the reflection they see that seems like a clear area to fly through. Is it just during a certain time of day?

Old 05-17-2018, 12:48 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,526 times
You live in a nice spot, I’m about 6 hours west on the Blue Ridge. More so early morning, but anytime of the day really. It has now taken to attacking my wife’s new car mirror. Darnedest thing I’ve seen. I have witnessed the odd bird doing this on occasion, this one is hellbent on breaking through. It would have made a good extra for Hitchcock in the “birds”

Old 05-17-2018, 12:58 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
We are having this problem for the first time ever. Oh sure, we've occasionally had a bird fly into a window, sometimes with a very bad outcome, and other times they are stunned a bit, sit on the ground for a while and then fly away.

But the past few weeks....there is a robin that does this on and off from sun up until sun down. It's actually getting to the point where I'm getting angry and I told my wife I'm about ready to go outside and take the pellet gun after him. I too am an animal lover and haven't intentionally killed any animal in over 30 years....but this robin is flat out pissing me off.

There are times he does it 5 or 6 times in a 30 second period. He approaches the window, bangs against it, backs up a bit (in the air while flying) and bangs it again....and again, and again. There may be a 5 minute break and then he'll start on another window and do the same thing. We may then have a half hour break and it all starts over again on another window.

I'm pretty sure it's same robin because a few times I've gone outside and watched for a bit.

My wife googled the problem and said it's a male robin seeing himself in the reflection and trying to scare off other potential male mates competing for females to mate with.

Whatever it is, we've never had it before, and it's getting irritating real fast.

I'd think the window decals would be a good idea, except banging into the same window 5 or 6 times in a row tells me he's either not a real quick learner, he's mentally challenged, or he just likes hitting things.....and a decal isn't likely to change his behavior.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
The bird is seeing his own reflection and thinks it's a competitor moving into his territory, so he attacks. As long as he can see his reflection, it will continue.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:41 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
You live in a nice spot, I’m about 6 hours west on the Blue Ridge. More so early morning, but anytime of the day really. It has now taken to attacking my wife’s new car mirror. Darnedest thing I’ve seen. I have witnessed the odd bird doing this on occasion, this one is hellbent on breaking through. It would have made a good extra for Hitchcock in the “birds”
The mirror....

oh yes, he sees a "rival"....I have a towhee who does the same every afternoon...

Old 05-17-2018, 01:52 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
What I'd give to see a red breasted robin... down here that's a no-go.
As to the OP, I hope you find a solution. They are beautiful birds.
Can you put some type of moving object on the window, such as mosquito netting?
I know, not attractive, but at least it could allow the robin to live and give you some peace.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:41 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Hang some newspaper or paper towels in the window he flies into. Little guy's just a little bird doing bird stuff, to the best of his ability. Life is tough out there in the wild.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:01 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Hang some newspaper or paper towels in the window he flies into. Little guy's just a little bird doing bird stuff, to the best of his ability. Life is tough out there in the wild.
I was going to suggest the same thing. Put something outside your window like a sheet, newspaper, whatever so he sees it as a solid, not an open space and his reflection. After a few days, he'll move on to another part of his territory since that other bird he keeps seeing is no longer there.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:35 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Dwatted, just repped you on another post. But really...newspaper? They still make that stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature