Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:49 PM

292 posts, read 163,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Keep up the good work!

I think I've seen a robin or two dead along a road here or there over the years, so I guess occasionally they do get hit by cars.
Interesting, I didn't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 12:45 PM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSonya View Post
How can he run over a bird?? they usually move so it was surely injured or already dead

George Costanza reminded us that we have an agreement: they get out of the way when we drive by and we let them sit on our statues and dirty them up.

I may sound hard-hearted, but MotherNature doesn't count her losses-- only her successes....
...and the hawks, vultures, fungi & larvae gotta earn a living too. It all evens out.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:50 PM

19 posts, read 9,110 times
Update on my Robin. See link to pic below

She's been outside 3-4 days, briefly, 2x a day. Morning and Evening for about 45 min stints. She doesn't fly off of the porch.

She likes to be in the raised garden beds

We have an area under the bottom porch sorta netted off and she runs under that freely finding insects. A hole was cut in the top porch window so she can come and go as she pleases. The top porch in hopes less predators will be up there such as squirrels, weasels etc...
She knows the words water, go, going, and food. Hates the word go and going so now we say the G word instead.
She lands on us to prevent us from leaving the house when she hears go

She's been outside a few days now. Flew on the roof once but changed her mind and came back home. Hasn't flown outside since except back and forth from each side of the porch. Maybe she won't migrate this winter, we'll see. We get 7 feet of snow on average so she cannot stay outside. She sleeps in a carrying cage at night on top of the stairs so she can see the activity downstairs. Likes to be where the action is though hates the cage. We let her out at around 7am and back in around 8:30am. About the birds natural sleep and wake up time

Old 08-07-2018, 01:28 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
It looks like she's doing well! You're a great foster parent, OP!

Old 08-07-2018, 04:50 PM

Thank you
She took off flying last night off of the porch into the trees. Wouldn't come down, sun was going down
This morning at 7am I called her and she came back. No interest in going outside.
We'll let her out later on as the sun goes down. She likes to fly. Then maybe let her back in
in the morning. She just had her bath, she loves the water.
I think she will always come back to us, flying into the house even when eventually, she spends most of her time outside. Not sure about winter when they migrate but the hole in the screen means she can come in during cold weather and be fed.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:01 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Glad you were the one to find and care for the birdie....sweet that it comes back, enjoy

Old 08-07-2018, 05:24 PM

20,859 posts, read 9,521,992 times
Great job!

Being raised by people is going to have some effect on her natural habits. Will be interesting to see how she adapts.

Maybe you should get her banded so you can keep track of her if she migrates?

Old 08-07-2018, 11:25 PM

That's an idea, thank you. My husband won't brand her and I am on the fence about it.
If she migrates, my guess is, she won't be coming back and will forget about us.
But I don't see it happening, she is going nowhere.

She got a boyfriend last night. He was following her flying. It was so cute, they were playing in the air.

She flew down to us and into the house and he looked like he thought she was crazy wondering "where did you go???!"
She's outside again tonight so we'll likely see her in the morning. Hopefully her friend will be back to play in the air in the morning. She doesn't like us bringing her to the top deck, wants to fly off from the bottom deck but she is safer from squirels, weasels and critters if she flies off the top deck where the hole in the screen into the house is there for her.

It's unlikely any other bird would follow her thru the hole.

It is only large enough for her- not a hawk or blue jay unless they push thru.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:37 PM

Big mistake in the beginning

Don't give a baby robin water. It goes into their air canal when their large long necks sick up to be fed.
Probably this way with all baby birds.

They get their moisture from their food. You can dip the food into water before giving it to them.
I tried this, only a small amt and... she seemed to be sick from it for about half a day. Looking slightly dazed. Of course I don't know for sure. I felt it went into her air canal but she survived probably because it was just a few tiny tiny drops. But she was tiny so you never know. Maybe some made it down her stomach too.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:39 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
This bird needs to join the company of other robins, before the weather turns cold. They might lead the way for it to migrate with them to an area that is warm enough to survive. There are a few robins that stay over for the winter here, but it doesn't usually get extremely cold. When there's snow and ice, berries on trees are the only food they have, besides suet that people might put out. Unlike many other birds, they don't ordinarily eat birdseed. This is odd, because their close relatives, the varied thrushes, will eat seed, when it gets cold.

It's very likely that this bird will become a pet and stay with you. Mealworms from a pet store or bait shop, would be a good source of food you could give it, in the winter. They also like the berries on English ivy, which ripen in the fall and persist on the vines all winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature