Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does barking dog or other noise bother you?
Yes it bothers me 98 79.67%
No it doesn't bother me 7 5.69%
It bothers me but not that much 18 14.63%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:57 AM

18,532 posts, read 18,772,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I can't answer this poll because there is a profound difference in the type of noises that bother me.

Barking dog noise doesn't bother me at all. I don't even hear it. Any natural noises are completely fine with me.

But leaf blower/snow blower noise makes me completely homicidal. I hate everyone who owns a leaf blower. I hate everyone who uses a leaf blower. I hate manufacturers of leaf blowers. Snow blower useage is somewhat forgivable, but don't use a leaf blower anywhere near me or there WILL be consequences.
hahahha. know what you mean though, for some it must be hell... a dog barking for a long period does annoy me but I more think of why is the dog barking ....a heavy ball bouncing a lot like in basketball on concrete is annoying..a screaming child in a shop in a tantrum is annoying to me... I dont like my own dog barking though or annoying people, but he barks now and again when people pass the front garden...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 09:56 AM

801 posts, read 454,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
hahahha. know what you mean though, for some it must be hell... a dog barking for a long period does annoy me but I more think of why is the dog barking ....a heavy ball bouncing a lot like in basketball on concrete is annoying..a screaming child in a shop in a tantrum is annoying to me... I dont like my own dog barking though or annoying people, but he barks now and again when people pass the front garden...
Do you consider that your dog barking when someone passes your garden might be annoying a neighbor? If it might, you might consider training your dog not to bark at anyone passing by.
I say this because I live down the street from such a dog and it bothers me every time I pass by and I think "I wonder if their neighbors (3) complain or just put up with it?"

Old 08-07-2018, 10:49 AM

28,944 posts, read 30,297,243 times
We used to have 3 to 4 dobermans and if they barked when they were out, we would quickly bring them in....no way would I allow dogs to bark continuously, that is so unthinking and selfish...I don't know how people can do that without feeling any guilt and stopping it.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:51 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,905,036 times
I rented a little house in a not so great neighborhood (bar at the end of the street) and all I had was a front yard. I also had a Doberman and he would bark at someone going by. I used to let him, because I wanted people to know a large dog lived there. My neighbors on one side of me had a large pit bull and the neighbor on the other side of me used to threaten to shoot up everyone and the police would be called to cordon off the block a couple times while I lived there.

So no, I didn't care if the dog barked. Usually it was one or two wuffs and that was it. Now if someone came to the gate (which I kept locked so no one could just walk in) and stood there, his whole demeanor changed and so did his bark. And that would always bring me out to see what was going on.

Thing is, my little house was set well back from the street and my dog was inside when I was at work and only allowed out when I was home. Evenings he came back in again. Saturdays and Sundays were spend at dog shows, SAR practice, dog training, etc, so I had the dog out with me most weekends. And if I was out in the yard at home washing the car or something, the dog relaxed and while he watched who walked by, he really didn't bark at those times.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:35 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,484,381 times
Best thing going to drown out the noise of a barking dog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCivOpWhOP0

Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,218,671 times
One of the worse things about continuously barking dogs is, they aren't happy for one reason or another...being chained, left outside and being ignored,etc.
Distance doesn't insure quiet. We lived over a mile away from an all night barker but it was uphill. Did you know sound travels more effectively up??

Old 08-09-2018, 12:28 PM

28,944 posts, read 30,297,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
One of the worse things about continuously barking dogs is, they aren't happy for one reason or another...being chained, left outside and being ignored,etc.
Distance doesn't insure quiet. We lived over a mile away from an all night barker but it was uphill. Did you know sound travels more effectively up??
yeah, I feel so sorry for any dog that's tied up, especially in the winter...years ago, that's what they did...
but I was never fond of it...even as a kid, it used to upset me.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:44 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,905,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And across canyons that are miles across.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:55 PM

7,481 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Does barking dog and other incessant noise bother you? Please discuss why or why not.

I guess I may be "nuts" because barking dog noise drives me up the wall.
I like dogs, I really do. I've had dogs that I loved and I've known friends' dogs that I loved.

However, I was raised to be considerate of others.
I remember my mom would tell us not to bother our neighbors, not to play in their yard. Or she'd ask me to turn my music down if it was too loud in the house, or to use my headphones.

Or if I had a friend over and we were up late and talking too loud, mom or dad would let us know to quiet down.

I was taught that it is polite not to bother other people with my noise.

Yet nowadays no one seems to care. Most people are either not like me, and are not bothered by noise at all, or else everyone's just given up on the concept of being considerate of others with their noise.

Dogs can be trained. (Even cats can be!) And they SHOULD be trained to only bark when there's a good reason to. Someone they don't know comes in your yard (NOT your best friends and family!)
They should not be allowed to chase vehicles, barking.
They should not be allowed to bark at everything that moves within their eyesight (people walking down the sidewalk, other animals, etc etc)

If you are a dog owner and you let your dog bark incessantly, you ARE bothering your neighbors. I'm betting this poll will prove this.

If you live in the city some of your neighbors are surely bothered by your barking dog.

And if you live in the country, you may have a neighbor like me who doesn't want to hear your dog barking incessantly (i.e. more than 10 min non-stop or many times throughout the day) even if you live several hundred yards away. After all many of us move to the country hoping to enjoy quiet country living, and appreciate the sounds of nature.

This thread also covers other noise such as ATV's, people yelling, kids yelling, people working on cars in their yards, construction noise (especially if you have a "hobbyist" next door who's always using hammers and saws, etc etc.

Curious to see how this comes out.
I don't like dogs at all, so yes the barking does annoy me.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:38 PM

192 posts, read 186,983 times
Other people's dogs barking incessantly while I'm trying to enjoy some peace and quiet at home? I loathe it. Love dogs! Can't get enough of them! But their lazy, thoughtless owners who don't care enough about others, or their dog to train them, are also on that list of what I hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature