Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does barking dog or other noise bother you?
Yes it bothers me 98 79.67%
No it doesn't bother me 7 5.69%
It bothers me but not that much 18 14.63%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 10:04 AM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i have a neighbor with roosters that dont know when to shut up but they dont bug me near as bad as one single mosquito buzzing around my head in the dark and i cant find him .. keeps me awake all nite sometimes ..
OMG, I forgot roosters. My neighbor had one she kept less than 10 ft behind my bedroom window and the &^%$ thing crowed all day long, starting at 3am. When I moved out to the sticks, we also had a coyote that would sit up on the hill opposite my trailer and start serenading. At dawn. Every morning. Yes, it sounds a lot like a non-stop barking neighbor's dog. No, it's not romantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 10:32 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
If a dog bothers you several hundred yards away, unfortunately, that's on you. People move to the country to drive their ATV, keep a pack of beagles, shoot, etc...

I don't think its unreasonable for a neighbor to enjoy hobbies that use power tools, either...

What is reasonable in an apartment is different than a subdivision and different than acreage in the county.

If you truly want silent isolation, you need to isolate yourself completely.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:12 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Does barking dog and other incessant noise bother you? Please discuss why or why not.

I guess I may be "nuts" because barking dog noise drives me up the wall.
I like dogs, I really do. I've had dogs that I loved and I've known friends' dogs that I loved.

However, I was raised to be considerate of others.
I remember my mom would tell us not to bother our neighbors, not to play in their yard. Or she'd ask me to turn my music down if it was too loud in the house, or to use my headphones.

Or if I had a friend over and we were up late and talking too loud, mom or dad would let us know to quiet down.

I was taught that it is polite not to bother other people with my noise.

Yet nowadays no one seems to care. Most people are either not like me, and are not bothered by noise at all, or else everyone's just given up on the concept of being considerate of others with their noise.

Dogs can be trained. (Even cats can be!) And they SHOULD be trained to only bark when there's a good reason to. Someone they don't know comes in your yard (NOT your best friends and family!)
They should not be allowed to chase vehicles, barking.
They should not be allowed to bark at everything that moves within their eyesight (people walking down the sidewalk, other animals, etc etc)

If you are a dog owner and you let your dog bark incessantly, you ARE bothering your neighbors. I'm betting this poll will prove this.

If you live in the city some of your neighbors are surely bothered by your barking dog.

And if you live in the country, you may have a neighbor like me who doesn't want to hear your dog barking incessantly (i.e. more than 10 min non-stop or many times throughout the day) even if you live several hundred yards away. After all many of us move to the country hoping to enjoy quiet country living, and appreciate the sounds of nature.

This thread also covers other noise such as ATV's, people yelling, kids yelling, people working on cars in their yards, construction noise (especially if you have a "hobbyist" next door who's always using hammers and saws, etc etc.

Curious to see how this comes out.
If someone was oblivious enough to not catch a single one of those list items before they closed on their house, let it be an expensive lesson learned to make multiple visits to the property before you sign.

Even if you missed every single one, did it not occur that the sheer proximity to multiple neighbors would provide a confident betting chance that one of them might want to do something outside that isn't silent?

Old 07-31-2018, 12:22 PM

21,914 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Dogs barking? No. People talking at shows and concerts very loudly? YES!!!! And this happens ALL the time.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:30 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Out on our rural 5 acres, noise was terrible. Rooster, guinea hens, peacocks, dogs barking from all directions. For hours on end, sometimes.

Now in our condo, can't hear a thing except the ocean crashing, and occasionally the squeal of a happy child on the sand.

What I can't figure out, is WHY hasn't a device been invented to stop dogs barking? C'mon! Someone could make millions! (I bought a few and nothing works)

Old 07-31-2018, 12:43 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
A dog that barks when he sees another dog, is playing or is alerting their human that something is not right (and other occasional barks) is totally fine with me. However a dog that is just left to bark incessantly bothers me immensely because to me that makes me feel that the dog is being neglected and/or abused. As for other animal sounds I love hearing them! I could listen to bird, crickets, cicadas etc all the time.
This is very often the case. I tried telling dog enforcement about a dog down the road that was constantly howling and barking. Nothing was done. A couple of years later, the dog was found still at the end of his chain, dead. They also found a cat skeleton behind this guy's couch.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:46 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I can't answer this poll because there is a profound difference in the type of noises that bother me.

Barking dog noise doesn't bother me at all. I don't even hear it. Any natural noises are completely fine with me.

But leaf blower/snow blower noise makes me completely homicidal. I hate everyone who owns a leaf blower. I hate everyone who uses a leaf blower. I hate manufacturers of leaf blowers. Snow blower useage is somewhat forgivable, but don't use a leaf blower anywhere near me or there WILL be consequences.

Cool your jets Buckaroo. Come on my property with your homicidal rage, and you're right, there WILL be consequences. We have a right to use a leaf blower, especially during day light hours, not too early in the morning, and not too late into the evening.

If the noise bothers you SO much, maybe get some noise cancelling headphones, than going on a homicidal rampage.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:00 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
If a dog barks in the distance, no problem. If it's right near me and continues on and on, I would be stressed. A few barks to announce someone or something like a squirrel, no biggie.

IMO, people that just let their dogs bark are VERY poor trainers and should be more considerate of others.

What bothers me a LOT is someone that can't just listen to silence or sounds of nature, and insists on having music on all the time.

Drives me bonkers out in our boat fishing when hubby wants his "tunes" on.
I do know some people who don't listen to music AT ALL and will talk the entire time on a trip.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:27 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Cool your jets Buckaroo. Come on my property with your homicidal rage, and you're right, there WILL be consequences. We have a right to use a leaf blower, especially during day light hours, not too early in the morning, and not too late into the evening.
There have been a lot of threads about leaf blowers. The general consensus is that people who use leaf blowers are the spawn of Satan.

I choose to live in the country to avoid most human noise. Animal noises and smells make me happy. My dog barks joyfully, especially when he's hunting rabbits. I love to hear him bark and encourage it. Grain bins are extremely noisy, but they are a necessary tool so I live through the corn/soybean drying weeks patiently.

Leaf blowers are not necessary tools, and people should respond to their usage appropriately.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:31 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I can't answer this poll because there is a profound difference in the type of noises that bother me.

Barking dog noise doesn't bother me at all. I don't even hear it. Any natural noises are completely fine with me.

But leaf blower/snow blower noise makes me completely homicidal. I hate everyone who owns a leaf blower. I hate everyone who uses a leaf blower. I hate manufacturers of leaf blowers. Snow blower useage is somewhat forgivable, but don't use a leaf blower anywhere near me or there WILL be consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

If the noise bothers you SO much, maybe get some noise cancelling headphones, than going on a homicidal rampage.
I think it was hyperbole...

I had a neighbor that would race his 4 wheeler up and down the coul-de-sac...I'd describe my annoyance with it similarly to 601 but neither of us have taken up arms.

Interesting the comment about snow blowers...They don't have notably different noise than a lawn mower or any other gas engine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature