Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 06:11 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Women go through menopause because women are living into the age by which they would have already died in "cave man" days. The human lifespan has been extended far beyond what was "natural" when we evolved from other species. It was common for women to have died in childbirth, or of disease, accident, or being eaten by a giant cave bear long before they would have experienced menopause. Our ovaries just weren't made to last 60 years.

It's in our basic biology. In our early reproductive years women's hormones serve to make us attractive to the opposite sex for reproduction purposes (smooth pretty skin, silky hair, hour glass shape). As we age our hormones change, and this can often bring on changes that make us less attractive to the opposite sex, biologically speaking (thicker waist, pear shape, drier coarser hair that turns grey, wrinkles, etc). This steers those looking to reproduce to the younger, healthier women who will be more likely to reproduce healthy offspring. This also explains the so-annoying trait of men always wanting to get with a woman 20 years younger. I hate to say it, but it's hardwired into them.

edited to add: Falling down laughing at the thought that ACV will prevent menopause! Seriously???
And can't understand why he got an F in biology.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:52 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes of course. I used to breed horses. But what other female BLEEDS?
Both cats and dogs bleed. It's not the same as a period, but they do bleed. As for others, I'd have to look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 08:16 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Is there a biologist in the house? We need a biologist.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:26 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,767,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes of course. I used to breed horses. But what other female BLEEDS?
Dogs.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, this picture is a little backwards (unless I misunderstood you). Women get "thicker" (which results in an apple shape (fat building around the middle) not a pear shape, with changes in hair texture, because of menopause. In some women, the changes happen during perimenopause, but some women remain slim and youthful-looking right up to the actual event, which for some doesn't happen until 55 or close to 60, even. These are women who have young guys chasing after them for reproductive purposes, not knowing that their baby factory is about to shut down. I know women who have started a new family with a young spouse at 50/51. (No prescription hormonal assistance.)

This doesn't explain why menopause exists in the human species, and few others. If humans hadn't evolved with the menopause mechanism, the women wouldn't show those signs of aging. They'd maintain the same, or only somewhat diminished, hormonal level all their lives. Though all those pregnancies would tend to shorten their lifespan, unless they had herbal birth control, which some cultures did have. (Native American culture, notably.)

And let's not forget, that men show similar signs of aging; some--beginning the their 40's, others 10 or more years later. They build fat around the middle, go grey, slow down, etc. Hormonal change is considered a normal part of aging. But in human women, it results in loss of reproductive capacity. The OP raises an interesting question. Why wouldn't this occur in other primates? How many offspring do other primates typically have? Do they keep reproducing until the female expires, and is it the multiple pregnancies that bring about the end of life, or is it some aspect of aging?

See my first paragraph, post #65. Normally by age 55-60 female humans would have been dead in our proto-human days. Modern medicine has extended our lives beyond what was typical for our species. Our (both male and female) parts (ovaries, prostate, testes, arteries, joints) start to wear out from long use, and lowered hormone levels, as we age beyond our original expiration dates. Yes men also suffer from lowered hormones as they age. Lower testosterone results in losses of muscle mass, bone density, and body hair, as well as BPH, and even testicular atrophy (andropause).

And yes, apple would have been a better fruit to describe the thickening of the middle. I was also thinking of the bottom and thighs getting larger too. But yeah, mostly the middle.

Other species are pretty much still dying at their typical life expectancy.

Last edited by TheShadow; 06-30-2019 at 09:53 AM..

Old 06-30-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Almost afraid to ask this, as I know some will be mean to me about it, but I really must ask if anyone is in my shoes on this:

I am 51, and my group of 8 friends are between 50-60. If we set aside the 2 who had hysterectomies, that leaves now 7 of us.

I am the only one who never had one single period symptom, aside from probably being a bit more tired for a few days. Ever. In my whole menstrual life from 12 years old until now.

I am also the only one who has no symptoms of menopause. I have had night sweats my entire life, even as a tiny kid, so I don't count that one. Of the others: no hot flashes, no additional tiredness that what I have always felt, no reduced sex drive or dryness (TMI), etc etc. None of it.

I am sure that I am just very very lucky genetically, and that this is like 90% of the reason. However, I do attribute some of the reason to the fact that I have been a clean eater and avid health freak for my entire adult life. The other ladies don't even try nor do they want to try. I really think it helps.

Is any one else in this boat? Am I maybe just not old enough yet to feel any symptoms, but they are coming?
If your periods are still regular, you probably just haven't got there yet. The age varies widely, as does the duration and severity of symptoms. Some women (the lucky ones) experience no menopause symptoms at all except for the cessation of periods. The symptoms can occur before, during, or extend long after the cycle becomes disrupted, and then eventually ceases. I have had hot flashes for almost 10 years. In the beginning a few per day, later as many as one or more per hour, with several per day being the full-on sweat running down my scalp and back, clothing or PJs soaking wet type. I'm finally (at 60) down to a couple very mild ones per day. I had none of the other typical symptoms (mood swings, fatique, sleep disturbances, sexual issues) though. Everybody's different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature