Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 10:06 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times

Advertisements

Also keep in mind that the irritant chemical is highly aromatic. Just getting close enough to the plant to get the fumes on you is enough to cause the rash.

That point was dramatically illustrated to us on a field trip for our Ecology class. As we assembled after disembarking from the bus, the lab assistant, wearing rubber gloves, collected a sprig of Poison Ivy, and as the prof issued a warning to us, the instructor was displaying it to us, holding it, for some unknown reason, righting front of his face, like he was hiding behind it. Although it didn't actually touch his skin, he began to break out right before our eyes. He had a miserable day after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 03:42 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times
My doctor gave me this to rub on affected area. I use it, but it does not seem to do anything, there is no noticeable improvement in speed to recover.

A fail-safe way to guard against poison oak-wechat-image_20190827053739.jpg

Old 08-27-2019, 06:42 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Also keep in mind that the irritant chemical is highly aromatic. Just getting close enough to the plant to get the fumes on you is enough to cause the rash.

That point was dramatically illustrated to us on a field trip for our Ecology class. As we assembled after disembarking from the bus, the lab assistant, wearing rubber gloves, collected a sprig of Poison Ivy, and as the prof issued a warning to us, the instructor was displaying it to us, holding it, for some unknown reason, righting front of his face, like he was hiding behind it. Although it didn't actually touch his skin, he began to break out right before our eyes. He had a miserable day after that.
When some people burn brush or from forest or brush fires, people that are sensitive to the poison oak, can break out a very long way away from the fire. Just a whiff of the smoke is all it takes.

This also gets into any individual's personal tolerances for this noxious weed. And then we are the owners of bodies that do change with age and exposure. What we are not sensitive or allergic to today; we could be tomorrow.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:54 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,226,596 times
oh so true.

I used to chase my sister around the yard with a clump of poison ivy because she got it and I didn't.

As adults, she was immune. I'd get, mostly in January. I finally learned to recognize the vine as well as the leaves.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:10 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
I never got poison oak that I can recall. But poison ivy loved me when I was a youngster. When I got it in the fourth or fifth grade I was blistered on my forearms and then they bled (probably I scratched), the rash spread like crazy and finally the worst portions were bandaged because they had turned to large areas of runny sores.

I missed weeks of school and long division, but I never got poison ivy again in my life. I also never got long division either.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:30 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

I missed weeks of school and long division, but I never got poison ivy again in my life. I also never got long division either.

That's OK. The Millennials don't even know what you're talking about.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:34 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Maybe consider Tecnu... they have prevention and treatment options that were popular in my forestry school:

https://www.teclabsinc.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature