Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 09:51 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Hurts to know the level of ignorance that is out there amongst gun owners, doesn't it?

Every day one of these gun lovers, directly or indirectly, opens fire and kills a few civilians. Nobody even seems to care any longer.

It is an amazing shame what many have become. And when it gets directly pointed out, people's feathers get ruffled (pun intended).

You'll compare an accidental shooting to some criminal element shooting civilians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 11:01 AM

29 posts, read 36,877 times
Some more details:
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...625b5029c.html

This is just a few miles from my home. I have gone running along this trail. My last time doing that there were signs that deer hunting was being allowed in the area. As I ran along I heard regular rifle shots in the woods near me. I have not been back since.
I'm not anti-hunting but these are popular trails near a major metropolitan area. On nice weekends scores of people are out running, hiking and biking here. Allowing hunting here is just asking for trouble.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:12 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisF6 View Post
Some more details:

This is just a few miles from my home. I have gone running along this trail. My last time doing that there were signs that deer hunting was being allowed in the area. As I ran along I heard regular rifle shots in the woods near me. I have not been back since.
I'm not anti-hunting but these are popular trails near a major metropolitan area. On nice weekends scores of people are out running, hiking and biking here. Allowing hunting here is just asking for trouble.
Options would include closing the park altogether for hunts and limiting the hunting to very short-range weapons like bows and handguns...or as you note, just not allowing hunting there anymore.

I'm sure those policies are under review for this park but often state laws could be tying their hands on the matter.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:28 AM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
They need better signage
There's a thread called SIGNS - Sign Sign Everywhere A Sign, Do This, Don't Do That, Can't You Read The SIGN?! that would be a perfect place to post that. Just click that link and post away!

Old 05-13-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Some more details:

I live within 20 miles of the area, and walked on the same trails...but when I see a sign saying hunting is going on, I avoid those trails.

Busch Wildlife has always allowed hunting in season. I feel like 'being smart' needs to happen both ways. Now say...someone on the Katy Trail got shot? I don't know, I'd think that would be a different story.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:36 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You'll compare an accidental shooting to some criminal element shooting civilians?
There is nothing "accidental" when a person shoots another person and then says they thought it was a turkey.

We know who the "turkey" is in this situation. Stupidity is not a defense for a criminal act.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:41 PM

Maybe in the future, signs need to be posted saying something to the effect "Trail closed pedestrians until such and such a time, due to hunting." Instead of just informing "Hunting is happening" basically.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:17 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Some more details:

Active local hunts in progress should be posted but isn't always realistic especially for a large area. Permanent signage doesn't tend to be very specific, but it may suggest a hunt is possible during one time of year. Its difficult, because game season open/close dates often change every year based on conditions, management goals for this or that species, staffing and budget, etc. Responsible hunters adhere to game seasons and safety restrictions for that area (no shooting from vehicles, or within specified distances to homes, roads, trails).

As a non-hunting outdoor recreationalist you also have some responsibility to educate yourself about potential legal hunting seasons. Some species are typically hunted in spring, others in fall or winter. A very few nuisance species might be legally hunted throughout the year. You can get that information from the area's management office or your state game hunting publications/websites.

Of course none of this will prevent every shooting accident because a few hunters and non-hunters alike can and do choose to ignore posted information.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:12 PM

According to Denis's STLToday link, the hunter was on the actual trail. Not cool.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:36 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Why do people hike on designated game lands during hunting season? It is inherently dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature