Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 PM

351 posts, read 693,575 times

Advertisements

My brother owned snakes when we were young. I was the only one to play with them. He'd just feed them. He rarely took them out to play with. I like snakes. I like lizards too. I won't kill them. I accidentally ran over a baby rat snake with my garbage can. I got really sad when I realized I did that. I still have to learn which are poisonous and which aren't. I do know the ones that have arrow shaped heads are the poisonous ones, but I'd like to be able to quickly recognize the ones I see if I were to come across one.

I don't like spiders. They creep me out. I'd handle a tarantula if it were someone's pet. Overall, I don't like spiders. If I can, I'll catch them and put them out, but if I can't, I'll kill them if they are in my house. I'll leave the ones outside alone. It's their home. Spiders do plenty of good things for us humans by eating pesky bugs, I appreciate them for that. They still creep me out though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 08:37 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Spiders and snakes should be left alone based on what they kill, I don't mind having spiders in my house, beats having flies any day, and snakes kill rats, rats and flies carry diseases.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:24 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Through the years I have noticed something when talking to friends and family, and also from TV...

It seems as if you're either afraid of spiders, or of snakes. Very seldom of neither or of both. My question is: why so?
This appears to be the same dilema as with cats and dogs: you're either a cat person or a dog person. Seldom both or none.

Personally, I am terrified of spiders, but have very little against snakes. My mother and brothers are the opposite: they are terrified of snakes, but have no problems with spiders (yet, they do not want to take care of a giant spider in my room).

What are you afraid of? Snake or spider- or both or none? And why is this? Does this have anything to do with where you live, or is it a matter of personality? Or anything else?
Snakes are very manageable to me. I used to catch ratsnakes and kingsnakes as a kid and bring them home to show mom (who is a real herpetophobe).

Spiders? No. No way. No where close to my skin.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:44 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Neither bother me, as long as they are outside my house. I will move the rare snake that finds it way inside, but I'm not quite as considerate of spiders.

It they are in the yard, I don't bother with them.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:58 PM

70 posts, read 69,840 times
I'd run into heavy traffic to get away from a snake...any snake. Spiders? Not so scary (see my name). In fact, some of us are right down friendly. Adore dogs but am a teensy bit afraid of cats.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:07 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Honestly I hate snakes, but spiders freak me out way more than snakes...
And that takes a lot for me to say.
I remember a huge snake that had me paralyzed w/ fear....
Idk how but it wound its way around my leg & was slithering up...
It was wrapped from my ankle up to my mid thigh...
I was literally frozen in terror.
I couldn't even scream.

Just in the nick of time my brother came running up & got the snake off of me & killed it.
I was about 8 or 9...my brother was about 16...
That day my brother was my hero

Old 09-04-2014, 01:35 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Worse? Neither. I love snakes, but spiders are fascinating too.

People that kills snakes are despicable scumbags. They should be charged for wonton destruction of wildlife.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:07 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
All depends.
I would prefer a garden snake over a black widow.
I would prefer a tarantula over a Faded Midget Rattler.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:46 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
If it's a non poisonous snake, it doesn't bother me as much as a spider. Even a small house spider I am petrified of.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:22 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,580 times
SPIDERS BY FAR!

But I also have severe Arachnophobia

I'm a cat person btw.....through and through

I notice the OP lives in Anchorage.....we're moving there so I wonder what the spider situation is like?

Last edited by rhiannon67; 09-10-2014 at 04:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature