Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 07:45 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,094 times

Advertisements

Through the years I have noticed something when talking to friends and family, and also from TV...

It seems as if you're either afraid of spiders, or of snakes. Very seldom of neither or of both. My question is: why so?
This appears to be the same dilema as with cats and dogs: you're either a cat person or a dog person. Seldom both or none.

Personally, I am terrified of spiders, but have very little against snakes. My mother and brothers are the opposite: they are terrified of snakes, but have no problems with spiders (yet, they do not want to take care of a giant spider in my room).

What are you afraid of? Snake or spider- or both or none? And why is this? Does this have anything to do with where you live, or is it a matter of personality? Or anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 09:02 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
I don't know why. But definitely more afraid of snakes than spiders. I have found though that if everyone else is afraid I will be the one to go and get whatever it is (last summer I had to catch a snake at my sister's house because everyone else was screaming). But if ANYONE else is there to do it I will scream with the rest of them.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:16 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Through the years I have noticed something when talking to friends and family, and also from TV...

It seems as if you're either afraid of spiders, or of snakes. Very seldom of neither or of both. My question is: why so?
This appears to be the same dilema as with cats and dogs: you're either a cat person or a dog person. Seldom both or none.

Personally, I am terrified of spiders, but have very little against snakes. My mother and brothers are the opposite: they are terrified of snakes, but have no problems with spiders (yet, they do not want to take care of a giant spider in my room).

What are you afraid of? Snake or spider- or both or none? And why is this? Does this have anything to do with where you live, or is it a matter of personality? Or anything else?
I'm terrified of both! I hate them. I'm getting the heebie jeepies just typing about them. I guess it's the look of them that i'm afraid of. As for being a dog or cat person, I wouldn't call myself either I'm an animal person. I love almost all of them. would like a house full of them except creepy crawler anythings and slithering things.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:34 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
Here's a "neither".
As long as it's not a flying thing with a stinger (although Bumbles are acceptable:>), it's fine by me.

While I'm an animal person, dogs are on the plateau just above humans in my book because they can be so "human", yet don't possess our bad traits :>) :>) Horses, Monkeys & Elephants would be the same, I reckon.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:53 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,237,333 times
Spiders don't bother me but Snakes are another thing. To me, spiders are furry and dance around while snakes wait, watch with those little beady eyes, and sneak and slither around. And, Snakes don't smile.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:48 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Neither, you cant fear anything like that here in New Mexico. I used to hate bugs n stuff coming from Ireland but when I got here where they are more common. You get used to them after killing tonnes of spiders and alot of rattlers that come to your back door.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:52 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,849 times
I have a snake so obviously love them and did have a tarantula. I do feel my lip quiver and skin crawl when I have to remove a big wolf spider from my house. You think in a house full of boys I wouldn't have to do it but none of them will even go near a spider. They all (including husband!) yell for mommy when they see one!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
I can step on a spider if need be, snakes, don't know much about them and certainly don't want to find the wrong one

Old 06-06-2007, 02:18 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Snakes are easy. Just walk circles around them with a shovel in your hand and move in slowly, itll follow the shovel edge not you then .... welll .... gone with the head lol

Old 06-06-2007, 02:54 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,849 times
Aaaawww, I hated it when guys would kill the bull snakes crossing the road in Tucson. I was in grade 9 there and was shocked how many locals would do that for fun. I can see if you are in danger but how often are you not able to turn and walk the other way? We use to get rattle snakes on our porch in Tucson. They were trying to get out of the sun. We would just leave them and when they had cooled down enough they would leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature