Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:33 PM

31 posts, read 40,329 times

Advertisements

So I came across this site today. Little rest time at job so asking this question. I am living in Omaha for last 7 years . I am an Immigrant. I graduated from UNL here. Working in Omaha after that. At my job I interact with Americans on daily basis . I haven't felt any hostility there.
However, outside my job my favorite time pass is working out at a local gym (as I am single). Maybe the fault is on my side, but I have felt some sort of hostility among people who work out there. Mostly at the weight room , I have faced some hostility. ex- receptionist will say hi to someone American , but not say anything to me(get to know I am an immigrant from my accent easy stuff!!). If I try to friend them, they seem not interested.(I agree its personal stuff). I am not a good looking guy, and always suffer from that reason. I am scared sometimes.I don't go to downtown also .clubs and all those crowded features not my thing.
Omaha can you help me in understanding people here more? Hope I am not upsetting anyone here..If I do so I will delete my post..

Old 10-20-2014, 02:06 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,862 times
Where did you get the money to pay for your tuition ?

Old 10-20-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Where did you get the money to pay for your tuition ?
Funded by the school..

Old 10-20-2014, 02:22 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,862 times
Are u an illegal immigrant ?

Old 10-20-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Are u an illegal immigrant ?
Why I should be illegal? I am fully legal status in this country...Does a very respectful job..
Anyway my bad ..Sorry for this thread...was just curious .

Old 10-20-2014, 03:42 PM

48 posts, read 71,083 times
Unfortunately some people are just jerks who have no interest in being friends with people different from themselves. Don't let it get you down, those people exist in every country. They see someone from outside doing better than themselves and it makes them bitter. Just enjoy yourself.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:18 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,222,348 times
Default How can anyone trust a immigrant?

Immigrants come to this country to change languages, change customs and change the very political nature of an area. They vote democrat so they can get free money and food and housing for not working a dime. Why should i trust you? Even the illegals i have met have internet and lie so they can line their fat pockets with our money. Immigration should be limited to only the most educated of people and nothing more. And if they have diseases, a history of violence or come from a violent region then they shouldnt be allowed in the united states.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:25 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Wow, some of the people responding seem to be validating his concerns.

Unfortunately some people are stupid. Thats all I can say. My mother was an immigrant and my grandparents faced hostility even though they refused to speak Arabic (their native tongue) in front of us so that we would only learn English.

Dont let it get you down. If you like where you live, dont let a few morons destroy that for you. Nebraska is not a very diverse place so it may take time for some people to get used to is. Ive only ever lived in cities that are chalk full of immigrants (LA, Dallas, Chicago, DC) so nobody really stands out.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Maybe it's time for you to change gyms? Not all the gyms in Omaha are full of meathead morons! And do go downtown - there's more to do there than just bars and clubbing, and it's a pity to miss out on the good stuff like Filmstreams, the Slowdown, and Upstream Brewing.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Immigrants come to this country to change languages, change customs and change the very political nature of an area. They vote democrat so they can get free money and food and housing for not working a dime. Why should i trust you? Even the illegals i have met have internet and lie so they can line their fat pockets with our money. Immigration should be limited to only the most educated of people and nothing more. And if they have diseases, a history of violence or come from a violent region then they shouldnt be allowed in the united states.
I think I am Highly educated stats show only 4 % of US population have a Phd or above.
I don't have any diseases, and I don't get involved in any violence. Most people here forget that their grandparents were themselves immigrants . They were lucky to be born here. Not all people are lucky to be born in United States.
I am not saying I am perfect, in fact no human being is. I have flaws, a lot of them. But I try to be friendly with everyone I meet.
Some people I have met here in Nebraska are very friendly ,most of them I went to school with. Outside , most seem to be very rude. They show open hatred towards someone not like themselves. After living in Nebraska for couple of years I have faced it and can say that it's definitely not what I expected when I came to this country.
I would ask the moderators to close the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: