Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:14 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaGuy2010 View Post
By Immigrants I am asking about Legal Immigrants. Like in my previous post I stated I am sometimes scared to speak to White Americans .
Don't wish to create a huge debate here. Just some inputs.
Don't be afraid, a smile and being friendly is usually returned with the same treatment. Despite all the talk in the media, I do think most people these days look at behaviors rather than color or where one is from. Look at the Meet Up website and see if you can find something you are interested in there. Common interests give people something to talk about and that makes it easier to get to know each other.

When I was in college, long ago, the immigrants that used to bug me were the ones that were not friendly, never returned a smile, and spoke to their friends in their own tongue right in front of others though fluent in English. I found it rude and disrespectful. They didn't seem to want to make friends or assimilate with locals. That's one way to turn people off but good. It was their behavior I didn't like, not that they were immigrants at the university.

Be friendly, wear a smile and you will do fine. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,381 times
I used to live in Missouri and people were really kind towards immigrants in that area so I was hoping it'd be same in NE (I'm planning to move there). But your posts are scaring me now

Old 01-27-2015, 08:09 AM

47 posts, read 89,659 times
mzzyhmd..........

Nothing to be afraid of or concerned about.. This country is a nation of immigrants and folks desiring a better way of life. I believe one huge concern alot of Americans have (I speak for the upper midwest population base) with todays immigrants vs the past generations is that todays immigrants give the appearance/impression is; they dont want to be Americans first..

What I am trying to relate is that my grandparents and great grandparents came here seeking a better life for themselves, to be free from whatever persecution/politics/politics may have plagued them in their home countries.. They came here to follow the American Dream!! Freedom of Life, Liberty and the the Pursuit of happiness. But they first and foremost became Americans, did their best to assimilate into the American culture, proud to learn how to speak english and considered it their primary language, show respect by becoming good neighbors that helped out in time of need, contributed whatever resources they could to their community.. They were grateful for the chance, excited to become and very proud of the fact they had now became Americans... Did they turn their back on their culture, history, traditions??? Heck no!! But they were Americans first and foremost...

Now, it doesn't seem to be that way so much.. To me it seems like a lot of immigrants come here hoping for a "slice of American Pie" and thats great, that is what this great nation was based on!! Pull up a chair and lets share a slice. But you know what? Dont tell me I have to change the recipe I have used for the past 250 yrs because your here, dont tell me what ingredients I can or cant use, dont tell me how I should eat it and on what days I can and what days I cant. Dont tell me I cant put ice cream on it!!

But please, learn how to "order" your slice of pie from the waitress in a respectful manner and with a smile on your face. Please respect the pie choices on the menu and if there is nothing on the menu you like, dont demand the menu be rewritten, just order something else or try something new. If there is nothing you like, dont get all upset and threaten to sue, just pickup the ingredients you like, go home, make it yourself and enjoy it. That is your choice and your right to do so!!

Lol.. Hope my analogy helps....

Rod

Old 01-27-2015, 01:47 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,387 times
Could not agree more Nodak

Old 01-27-2015, 04:02 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzzyhmd View Post
I used to live in Missouri and people were really kind towards immigrants in that area so I was hoping it'd be same in NE (I'm planning to move there). But your posts are scaring me now
Relax! The people in Nebraska aren't that different from the folks in Missouri.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:08 PM

31 posts, read 40,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzzyhmd View Post
Don't worry, I like to comment people of Nebraska are very friendly .(except few but folks like that exist in every country)
It's just me that I can't mix with everyone (my fault as I think skin color over everything)
So I would suggest you to move in here. Over the years I have stayed here ,I never repented.
It's more me that I am very introvert than majority of people.It's me who is scared to talk to people here than the other way around.
I highly doubt you would ever feel it bad here.It's very important to look yourself in a mirror and see your flaws...It's just that I did and realized my fault.
I was glad I bought this topic up.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:32 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,539 times
Midwesterners is good with immigrants. In Omaha, immigrants are everywhere and they all are in various levels of skill and pay levels. In fact, my last two jobs as a software engineer was with primarily people from India and about the remaining 20% where asian, white and black. We all get along great.

I dont think its an issue here and they seem to believe the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: