Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:58 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,025 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure of the exact numbers but you'll find a fair number of Asians in Omaha and Lincoln. I don't think you'll find many outside of these two cities, I have several Asian friends here in Omaha and most are Korean and Vietnamese. I don't think you'll find any racism in these two cities. Omaha is getting pretty big and as such, is pretty accepting. Lincoln, being a college town with a large university, is also pretty diverse. Either way, I think you'll be fine. Not sure about some of the smaller cities though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 10:29 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I live in Omaha, and there are a lot of people of Asian descent.
I don't know of Milford, but I can't imagine it being a hotbed of rascism
good luck!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:10 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
About ten years ago, there were quite a few Vietnamese in/near Seward (which is just down the road from Lincoln). I had several friends who worked in Seward and often mentioned all of the Vietnamese.
It really stuck in my head because Mexicans made sense. But I'd never before lived anywhere in Nebraska where the Asian population was large enough to comment on...

Old 03-11-2008, 08:09 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
I believe the official stat for Lincoln is that the population is about 3% Asian, and of those I would say the vast majority is Vietnamese. My wife is Chinese (arrived here from China in 2003), and as far as racism goes, she hasn't encountered any outward racism, but it does show itself in very subtle ways, such as in her job search. People here mostly are not racist, but are not really exposed a whole lot to people of other races, and so it seems when employers see a name that sounds foreign they hesitate to want to deal with that person. Maybe it's fear of not knowing how to relate to them, worrying that their English may not be good, who knows.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
From my experiences in Lincoln the largest concentrations of Asians is in the Medical community. My heart Doctor is Chinese ( and a damned fine Doctor). The medical profession here is attracting many from India also. One of the Doctors I socialize with says a lot of the influx of these Medical professionals is because the American Medical Association has tried to restrict the numbers of Medical School graduates in the U.S. Universities. I don't know if that is still the case but evidently it has been in the past.

GL2

Old 06-23-2011, 04:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,493 times
Question Conservative state NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I believe the official stat for Lincoln is that the population is about 3% Asian, and of those I would say the vast majority is Vietnamese. My wife is Chinese (arrived here from China in 2003), and as far as racism goes, she hasn't encountered any outward racism, but it does show itself in very subtle ways, such as in her job search. People here mostly are not racist, but are not really exposed a whole lot to people of other races, and so it seems when employers see a name that sounds foreign they hesitate to want to deal with that person. Maybe it's fear of not knowing how to relate to them, worrying that their English may not be good, who knows.
YOU ARE SO RIGHT! I'm asian american of Chinese decsent. I moved to Omaha NE 10 years ago from Canada. And i remember the first time i enrolled in UNL the registration white guy avoided eye contact when I was talking to him like WTF! And for 4 years in College i was the ONLY ASIAN in all my classes!

I was told NEBRAKSA IS A CONSERVATIVE state so i guess that is why many of the white people here don't associate themselves with asians. I don't know but it sure feel like people don't really start friendships with asians like me.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:42 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhuOmaha View Post
YOU ARE SO RIGHT! I'm asian american of Chinese decsent. I moved to Omaha NE 10 years ago from Canada. And i remember the first time i enrolled in UNL the registration white guy avoided eye contact when I was talking to him like WTF! And for 4 years in College i was the ONLY ASIAN in all my classes!

I was told NEBRAKSA IS A CONSERVATIVE state so i guess that is why many of the white people here don't associate themselves with asians. I don't know but it sure feel like people don't really start friendships with asians like me.
I am sorry to hear that My wife ended up making friends with a couple of people at her workplace in Lincoln- but it took some time after working there for a year or so. At least to the point where it was more than just being workplace acquaintances.

That post was a few years old- we have since moved to the Seattle area, and it has been a really nice change in so many ways. My wife has gone from feeling like a novelty in the workplace to really not having anybody really notice anything different about her, since there is more diversity here- especially in regards to a fairly large Asian population. She never gets asked "where are you from?" anymore.

I hope things get better for you back there! Are you still in college now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska