Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:03 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,720,515 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been asked before. I'm just trying to figure out where..which region maybe. I'm leaning toward western NE, lower humidity. Scottsbluff, Chadron, McCook area, Kearney, the Sandhills. Any opinions? Most importantly, I really want to be around good people.

Last edited by CA central coast; 05-17-2009 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 02:24 PM

252 posts, read 733,157 times
There is a personality pattern among towns as well as there is among people. Perhaps this sheds light on who is out here.

For years, my husband played with a very, popular rock 'n roll band--oldies covers. These guys were good! No 'off key' stuff. They were pros.

When they played Kearney or Hastings events, it was SRO and the place rocked. When they played North or West Nebraska, few people showed up for parties or a 'night out.' McCook: The New Years' Eve crowd requested country-western and wanted to 'line dance.' For weddings, out West, we often felt like we were going to be reported for 'making raucous music.'
I mean this, humorously, but there was, usually, a conflict of interest between our boomer band from So. Central NE and the crowds in Western NE (with the exception of Mackie's tavern in Cambridge--that was fun.)

Around the lakes, Harlan(The Island; the Beach Bar) or Johnson Lake Marina--SRO again and the people really had fun and showed it.

Some places and people just close up early. Probably get up with the sun--a prerogative or, may have to do with what we do for a living...........

Old 05-17-2009, 03:12 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,771,443 times
Whats SRO stand for?

Old 05-17-2009, 05:01 PM

Standing Room Only

My point is not about Rock and Roll, necessarily. I just felt that the reaction to popular music events might be reflected by the population.

I travel around a bit and it seems to me that Main Street and city councils and 'off the road' ideas gel on a Saturday night.

If I heard that there wasn't much going on at the cafes, the city auditoriums or community centers and that people at wedding receptions frowned, I would surely want to know 'why' before I moved there. That's not to say that I wouldn't like the reason. I would just want to know why.

Last edited by roots'nbulbs; 05-17-2009 at 05:14 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM

Interesting. I wonder if that would be true of Scottsbluff.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:14 AM

704 posts, read 1,872,894 times
Out of the places you listed, Kearney would be my first choice and Scottsbluff my second.

Both serve as cultural, and economic "mecca's" for their region. Kearney has a state Universtiy which brings some diversity and culture to town. being on I-80 is a good thing in Nebraska, although the scenery is not as good. Scottsbluff is a growing community but is very isolated from any sort of major entertainment options, although the surrounding area is one of the most beautiful in the state.

Chadron although it has a state college is very isolated, but once again has great scenery.

McCook, I can't think of a reason to move to McCook over any of these towns. it is a nice Nebraska communiy and will feature small town living and freindly people. But pretty isolated, and not even among the more scenic areas of the state.

Overall Kearney offers all the benefits of small town living, with more culture and entertainment options, however does not have the scenic aspects of Scottsbluff or Chadron.

Just my thoughts...

Old 05-20-2009, 06:28 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,150,653 times
Note that Kearney will be more humid than your options in the western part of the state if that is a big criteria.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:23 PM

I knew that Kearney would be more humid, but less so than Omaha. I spent a summer in Omaha, wet and sticky. I thought maybe Kearney would be the farthest east I'd consider. Since I read on C-D that people driving west can really feel the humidity difference between Grand Island and Kearney. Or was it Grand Island and North Platte? Maybe I'm mistaken. On McCook, I read that Cambridge is nice town, nice people. That peaked my interest. And nice scenery is a big considertaion, that's where Chadron and Scottsbluff come in. But how important is the scenery? I wonder if people really feel that isolated in western NE?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 PM

704 posts, read 1,872,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
I knew that Kearney would be more humid, but less so than Omaha. I spent a summer in Omaha, wet and sticky. I thought maybe Kearney would be the farthest east I'd consider. Since I read on C-D that people driving west can really feel the humidity difference between Grand Island and Kearney. Or was it Grand Island and North Platte? Maybe I'm mistaken. On McCook, I read that Cambridge is nice town, nice people. That peaked my interest. And nice scenery is a big considertaion, that's where Chadron and Scottsbluff come in. But how important is the scenery? I wonder if people really feel that isolated in western NE?

Certainly the further west you go the less humid things are. My folks live in Kearney and whenever they visit Lincoln or Omaha they comment on how Humid it is.

As far as the residents of Western Nebraska feeling isolated, it's hard to say. I imagine most of the residents don't feel that way, it's the way of life they are used to. It's just my experience that when I'm out there I feel like those places are an oasis. You can tell by looking at the map that there is not much besides ranchland around those communitities, nearest towns with any population could be 50 or more miles away. Not a bad thing per se, just something to consider.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:53 PM

The Kearney area has people from every political persuasion. Scottsbluff would be very comfortable for someone who is extremely Republican.

If one was apolitical and not looking for a place to invest in a business, the surroundings, out there, are gorgeous, the people are 'clean,' decent and friendly. The air is like mountain air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska