Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 06:03 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times

Advertisements

There are other gypsum plants in Nevada. I wonder how they will be affected.

Nevada housing: A gypsum plant darkens, and so does Empire - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 06:59 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
I read the story (on the link provided). This is sad. To see our small towns drying up, due to the economy.

What really ticks me off is this gypsum plant (and others in this country) should be able to keep up with the demand of drywall, even in a down economy. We could do it, but do we? Noooooooooo! We have to buy that cheap Chinese toxic crap sold by Lowe's and Home Depot. Man, I tell ya .... if I had the money, I'd get these companies running again and let our American workers make the sheet rock for this country's houses. It might just drive that Chinese crap the heck out of here. (Sorry, I get so passionate about this kind of stuff)

Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 PM

414 posts, read 972,729 times
Empire is the last "company town" in the USA. With the closure of the gypsum mine, there is no longer sufficient industry to support the town. A little know impact of this is the number of bodies available to help with Burning Man is going to go WAY down also. (For 2011 they can still hire locals from Empire but they will all be gone by 2012.) They will have to ship in workers from Reno, Sparks, Fernley, etc. That is going to cost more money so you can expect a $25-50 hike in the cost of Burning Man tickets. Also as stores in Empire and Gerlach disappear due to loss of customers, the availability of local supplies for Burning Man is going to get worse. You will either see those running Burning Man setting up stores (and charging through the teeth) or people having to bring in a lot more stuff from a lot greater distance. IMO in 3-4 years Burning Man is going to have to move to an area where a labor force and stores are more in the immediate area. (Such as the Salt Flats near Wells, NV. There is an old Air base there that would be a good place to set up.)

And when the economy starts up, it will be more cost effective to continue to buy the Chinese stuff than to re-establish the work force in Empire and open up this mine. I think the entire area is dead. On the flip side, if you want to buy a square mile of land, it is for sale up there pretty cheap.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:05 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
The women are right...size DOESN'T matter. This is what happens to towns (of any size) that put all their eggs in one basket. It happened to Empire, NV and...Detroit, MI. And it can happen to Las Vegas. All eggs in one basket is never a smart play. It may seem like it when the basket is in demand...but when the bottom of the basket breaks open...then run for the hills!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
[quote=jfkIII;18773180]The women are right...size DOESN'T matter. This is what happens to towns (of any size) that put all their eggs in one basket. It happened to Empire, NV and...Detroit, MI. And it can happen to Las Vegas. All eggs in one basket is never a smart play. It may seem like it when the basket is in demand...but when the bottom of the basket breaks open...then run for the hills![/QUOTE]

Well guess what? The bottom of everybody's basket has broken, in fact the whole country's bottom of the basket has broken..

and Las Vegas (and places like Reno and Laughlin) are still here, drawing the crowds and still accepting all the tourista's "donations", lol.

Last edited by MomMom; 04-19-2011 at 03:33 PM..

Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I read the story (on the link provided). This is sad. To see our small towns drying up, due to the economy.

What really ticks me off is this gypsum plant (and others in this country) should be able to keep up with the demand of drywall, even in a down economy. We could do it, but do we? Noooooooooo! We have to buy that cheap Chinese toxic crap sold by Lowe's and Home Depot. Man, I tell ya .... if I had the money, I'd get these companies running again and let our American workers make the sheet rock for this country's houses. It might just drive that Chinese crap the heck out of here. (Sorry, I get so passionate about this kind of stuff)
Building of new homes will pick up again. These things go in cycles, they always have.

The only reason why that cheap Chinese drywall got to America is the almighty dollar. It's cheaper to buy that foreign stuff than American made. You sometimes forfeit quality when you do that. Hence the class action suit in Florida regarding health issues linked to the Chinese Drywall, and smaller pockets of similiar claims throughout the country.

Sad for Empire though

Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 PM

207 posts, read 734,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
The women are right...size DOESN'T matter. This is what happens to towns (of any size) that put all their eggs in one basket. It happened to Empire, NV and...Detroit, MI. And it can happen to Las Vegas. All eggs in one basket is never a smart play. It may seem like it when the basket is in demand...but when the bottom of the basket breaks open...then run for the hills!
Well all the "eggs" in Vegas are still making money and pulling tourist dollars, so I guess that theory is wrong.

Sure are a lot of people lately trying to "diversify" Las Vegas' economy. Thanks but it will always be a gambling attraction, nothing else works in Vegas.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Kind of a shame when a homeowner gets sick due to toxic Chinese drywall, though. Especially, after paying top dollar for that house, expecting the builder to use safe materials. This whole Chinese drywall problem is one of the reasons I would never consider buying a new home again. I'll take my chances with a home built in the early to mid 20th century, even if I have to deal with lead paint.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:38 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,145 times
Even though this aritcle isn't about LV I still think it's important to read and see just how bad it is in Nevada.
The bad housing market in Nevada has wiped out an entire town down.

Shuttered Plant Marks The End Of A Nevada Town : NPR Jun 20, 2011 ... Now the town itself, which the company also owns, is closing its doors. ... of the recession, add one entire town: Empire, Nevada. ...
www.npr.org › NewsUSAround the Nation

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada