Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:59 PM

24 posts, read 32,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
pahrump to las vegas = 45 minutes to 1 hr (depends on the end point destination in vegas)
Not sure I am interested in a long commute to get to medical care or activities on the town. Guess it would just depend whether we like the feel of the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
I guess it depends on where you're coming from, to me, a 45 minute to 1 hr drive to get to Trader Joe's is a long drive.
I totally agree! I fuss about having to drive 15 minutes across town just to get to the nearest grocery store where I live now.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
I understand, but that's my point. If you live in Aliente, you can go to a Costco, Sam's Club, Trader Joe's probably a great hair salon, doctors, fitness gym and most anything else without driving across town. Would you drive across town for a concert? Sure, but not for your everyday items. In Pahrump, you will probably have to drive into Vegas for a lot of everyday items, i.e. the "long drive" comment.

Heck even when I lived in Los Angeles where it took an hour to go 20 miles (and I suspect, the same in Dallas), I hardly ever drove outside my neighborhood unless going to some special event or to meet someone because all the essentials were within a couple of miles of my house.
During certain times of the day or during big events, the traffic in DFW can be horrible. It doesn't help that there seems to be construction every where. Luckily, I don't live in the metroplex. I live about 30 minutes south of Dallas and work from home so I am fortunate to not have to deal with all that. But, if we ever want to go out for a night on the town or to go to the a hospital in Dallas, we have to deal with the traffic. If I lived in the metroplex I would be sure to pick an area to live that would have most of what I want/need in close proximity to my home.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
i don't mean to hijack the thread, so i'll just say that pahrump has plenty of everyday ammenities. you would only have to drive into vegas if you wanted to see a concert or go to the big box stores.
What kind of restaurants are available in Pahrump? I think we would be okay with a little commute to see a concert or to go to Lowe's, etc. But ultimately I think we will probably have to check out the area and get a feel for it before I can say for sure.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:29 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,525,026 times
pahrump has some of the major fast food places (mcdonalds, burger king, carls jr, taco bell, jack in the box, sonic, panda express, subway, dominos, pizza hut, little caesars)

the only sit down chain restaurant we have is denny's. everything else is mom & pop places.

other big recognizable stores:
home depot
walmart
smiths
albertsons
cvs
walgreens
gnc
big 5
ups store
sally beauty supply
starbucks
verizon
at&t store
metro pcs
napa auto parts
auto zone
tractor supply store
wells fargo
bank of america

plus we have a hospital. for day to day living, we've got plenty to choose from. jobs are harder to come by here in pahrump, so there are lots of people that commute into vegas daily. it's a personal choice & no one can tell you pahrump is right for you until you visit.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
pahrump has some of the major fast food places (mcdonalds, burger king, carls jr, taco bell, jack in the box, sonic, panda express, subway, dominos, pizza hut, little caesars)

the only sit down chain restaurant we have is denny's. everything else is mom & pop places.

other big recognizable stores:
home depot
walmart
smiths
albertsons
cvs
walgreens
gnc
big 5
ups store
sally beauty supply
starbucks
verizon
at&t store
metro pcs
napa auto parts
auto zone
tractor supply store
wells fargo
bank of america

plus we have a hospital. for day to day living, we've got plenty to choose from. jobs are harder to come by here in pahrump, so there are lots of people that commute into vegas daily. it's a personal choice & no one can tell you pahrump is right for you until you visit.
Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. Yes, I agree...we would need to visit first. I think that can be said of anywhere.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:35 AM

364 posts, read 618,407 times
We are heading to Vegas in 4 weeks from Dallas to do this exact thing. Will be getting the heck out of Texas FINALLY after 25 years. Will be looking at Summerlin, Henderson and Mesquite. Our property taxes in DFW just went up another $1000 for the year. That brings our total yearly property taxes for our $370k house to $9000/year. Just unbelievable. Anyone who thinks living in Texas is "cheap" better not buy a house. Property taxes in this state and specifically DFW are horrific. Also on rent...the devastating increases in property taxes has caused rents to skyrocket in DFW. The Mid 20's millennias I work with (I am late 40's) call it "The DFW rent-pocalypse"

One other thing not mentioned is homeowners insurance. God help you if you are in a flood zone anywhere in Texas, but even though we are not, our homeowners insurance just went up another $400/year and we had Zero claims. Why? Hail, tornadoes and one huge flood/hurricane. Property ins is now $2500/year for us.

Texas is NOT cheap to live in.

Can not wait!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:26 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Check out the Anthem area in Henderson. Stunning views. Just drive far south on Eastern Blvd and bear left onto Anthem Blvd where the road forks. Breath taking and why we live here.

We moved from the M Streets/SMU area in Dallas. I don’t miss the traffic or taxes. However, annual car registration is about $1800 annually for our 2 vehicles. Property taxes on our house is about $6000 cheaper, however. Home prices are equivalent depending on the area. Rent is lower, however. I think, at equal pricing, home finish out quality is superior (talking generalizations) in DFW. I miss the shopping in DFW, miss Northpark and Aldi’s. Don’t miss the many tollways (NONE here). The weather is much better here in the LV valley.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:15 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,884,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Check out the Anthem area in Henderson. Stunning views. Just drive far south on Eastern Blvd and bear left onto Anthem Blvd where the road forks. Breath taking and why we live here.

We moved from the M Streets/SMU area in Dallas. I don’t miss the traffic or taxes. However, annual car registration is about $1800 annually for our 2 vehicles. Property taxes on our house is about $6000 cheaper, however. Home prices are equivalent depending on the area. Rent is lower, however. I think, at equal pricing, home finish out quality is superior (talking generalizations) in DFW. I miss the shopping in DFW, miss Northpark and Aldi’s. Don’t miss the many tollways (NONE here). The weather is much better here in the LV valley.
I prefer stucco and concrete tile roof of NV than the ugly brick and asphalt roof of Texas.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:24 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I prefer stucco and concrete tile roof of NV than the ugly brick and asphalt roof of Texas.
Asphalt roofs are going up in parts of Cadance and Inspirada........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada