Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 02:37 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I have been in Reno for 24 years and love it here. All of the north valleys are cheaper than Reno. Cold springs is the farthest. The protests didn’t last long and most people avoided the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 04:27 PM

565 posts, read 470,434 times
Couldn't find anything in Utah? Nevada is almost always in the top ten and sometimes in the top five for most violent states in America. Of course it's Vegas that drives that boat.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:27 AM

137 posts, read 142,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
You may want to look at the Cold Springs area north of Reno. It does have more snow being a few hundred feet higher in elevation, but its not obnoxious. Housing is more affordable, basic shopping is available and expanding in North Valleys 5-10 minutes away (Walmart Superstore, Walgreens, Raley's, etc.). I offer it as an alternative because it is quicker to get to Reno/Sparks compared to Dayton and Minden. I have noticed there can be quite a bit of traffic in South Carson City when shopping (area around Hwy 50). Cold Springs is a quiet area and I've heard people like it there.
Thanks, good idea, I'll focus up there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have been in Reno for 24 years and love it here. All of the north valleys are cheaper than Reno. Cold springs is the farthest. The protests didn’t last long and most people avoided the area.
Good to know, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
Couldn't find anything in Utah? Nevada is almost always in the top ten and sometimes in the top five for most violent states in America. Of course it's Vegas that drives that boat.
Looking at 5 states currently that check my boxes, I have one already figured out for the places I want to look so I have threads in 4 other state forums for suggestions.

I'm hoping that Las Vegas is the major problem area, from what I saw on crime maps Reno and the area around looks much better, but that's why I'm asking.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:24 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
Nonsense. Where does this BS come from? NV is always in the middle third on crime and violent crime. And Las Vegas is higher than Reno...but Henderson is much better than Reno.

So if crime rate is your motivator you would do better in Henderson or even better in Boulder City.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:23 PM

783 posts, read 836,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoster View Post
Thanks, yeah, it is gorgeous, when I look at pictures it looks absolutely perfect!

Thank you!
Minden/Gardnerville is the absolute nicest little city in Nevada to live in. No one locks their doors in that town. Anyone would be lucky to live there and it is reflected in the real estate prices. Do not listen to the politically motivated nonsense and negativity. It’s a close knit community and safe.

You specifically wanted a smaller city that respects your constitutional rights, is tough on crime and has a high quality of life and that would be Minden, Dayton or Carson City. Also, Carson City has very high quality health care and the top-rated hospital in Nevada for quality. Driving to Reno from Carson is about half an hour through a gorgeous valley with a lake on one side and stunning Sierra peaks on the other.

Minden is a city proper with all the infrastructure for daily life. Dayton is more a suburb of Carson City right now as far as infrastructure, but a quick drive into Carson for all your needs. Carson City feels small and might be small enough for you.

I am not familiar with how much Cold Springs has grown, but it would be more of a Reno suburb.

Minden is the most beautiful area, as far as the valley and Sierra views, Carson City would be a close second. Dayton is set back a bit from the high Sierra peaks, but is surrounded by its own set of stunning more desert type of mountains.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 12-05-2020 at 11:31 PM..

Old 12-10-2020, 03:09 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
My experience has been that property crime is a issue. We live in a great neighborhood but often on Nextdoor there are warnings to lock your cars, etc because at night people will ransack them. Some are broken into if locked. Some have recorded people trying to open doors and windows.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:30 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
I would go with Carson, but wouldn't want to commute to Reno. If Carson is too expensive, perhaps Fallon? I had been looking a lot on the I80 corridor.. Winnemucca, Lovelock, Elko, Wendover... and ended up buying in Gillette, WY. gives it an 80, on a 1-100 scale. Glad I have a snowbird condo in the Orient. I wanted a HomeDepot and a commercial airport... Got that, but no Toyota dealer. Lower taxes than NV, both property and sales.. and crime is relatively low, although Meth is a problem just about everywhere. Lower electric, water rates, nat gas is equal or less... Both states have unlimited natural beauty.. Nevada's proximity to the Golden (Brown) State may have more negatives than positives.

Last edited by Yac; 12-17-2020 at 02:44 AM..

Old 12-10-2020, 03:40 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
I would go with Carson, but wouldn't want to commute to Reno. If Carson is too expensive, perhaps Fallon? I had been looking a lot on the I80 corridor.. Winnemucca, Lovelock, Elko, Wendover... and ended up buying in Gillette, WY. gives it an 80, on a 1-100 scale. Glad I have a snowbird condo in the Orient. I wanted a HomeDepot and a commercial airport... Got that, but no Toyota dealer. Lower taxes than NV, both property and sales.. and crime is relatively low, although Meth is a problem just about everywhere. Lower electric, water rates, nat gas is equal or less... Both states have unlimited natural beauty.. Nevada's proximity to the Golden (Brown) State may have more negatives than positives.
You might want to check again. Wyoming taxes are higher than Nevada. They have an income tax for instance and the property tax is slightly higher than NV. The Wyoming sales tax is slightly lower but that is it. The other items will vary by the local place so are difficult to compare.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
My experience has been that property crime is a issue. We live in a great neighborhood but often on Nextdoor there are warnings to lock your cars, etc because at night people will ransack them. Some are broken into if locked. Some have recorded people trying to open doors and windows.
You are in Reno, correct? I have a friend that says property crime has really been an issue there. Carson City has some, but it's pretty sporadic because the perpetrators always get caught really fast lol....Minden has some areas with more of this type of crime, but I think it is more in the Indian Hills area near Carson City..which is Douglas County.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
The commute between Reno and Carson City is only about 1/2 an hour since the new bypass was completed. The speed limit is 70mph now and the route is gorgeous. Traffic is not bad until you get into Reno near some of the off-ramps. It is a very common commute, I work in Carson City with many people who live in Reno and it actually takes them less time to get to work if they live in South Reno, than people who live in Douglas County.. ha ha! I go into Reno about 1 time per month or even less anymore...there is plenty of shopping/doctors, you name it..all that stuff in Carson City and we have lower sales tax and gas taxes.

The only town along I80 that has the natural beauty (forested mountains and lakes/rivers) and infrastructure of Northern Nevada is Elko in my opinion. Elko is a nice little city now and has the Ruby Mountain Wilderness there and a nice ranching and mining feel to it.

I am glad you found a city to call home! I drove thru Gillette and liked the city...it was just a little too flat and open...a little too far from the Bighorns for me, but I could see how it would be a nice city to call home...Wyoming is a little scary with the winter weather...I was struck by the big gates they had along the highways to shut during storms...highway closures happen in the Sierra here, but not down in the valley's much. Also, I could feel the altitude even in the valleys...and I am used to living at a high altitude. Wyoming had that thinner, crisper air that takes some acclimation.

Your right about California's influence on Nevada being a bit negative in some ways lately. It's a little too easy for troublemakers to come over and cause problems in Reno and Las Vegas I think...plus the Nevada I grew up in..the libertarian, freedom-loving, small government paradise..well, Nevada has definitely moved more towards the CA model in the last decade :/

The smaller cities are still the Nevada I grew up in and have the more law and order and live and let live feeling and maybe better city leadership, plus we have so much open space here with all of the BLM managed land...it really spoils you to have so much nature available and accessible for all sorts of adventures and it keeps the cities spread out I have to say that it is really hard to beat Northern Nevada for outdoor recreation opportunities and also the availability of the Sierra Mountains and alpine environment plus the high desert lakes/rivers and sunny environment in the valleys. We do have really low property taxes and no income tax as well.

We also have better weather than many areas of the Mountain West...it's sunny and the winters are usually not overwhelming with too much freezing weather during the day or snow that builds up. The snow melts off pretty fast and the sunshine is abundant in between stormy weather patterns.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada