Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2021, 05:43 AM

42 posts, read 127,503 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I moved from Winnemucca/Elko area to North Las Vegas about 7 months ago and I wanted to give my honest review in case anyone else out there was looking to do the same. I grew up in the Carson City/Reno/Dayton area, so I’ve been all over Nevada.

First of all: neighborhood. We were most concerned about the type of house we wanted. We wanted a single story with 2 baths and a big backyard for our two big dogs. Everyone told us to avoid North Las Vegas, but we didn’t listen. It’s been so nice here. 7 months in and not a lick of crime. The worst thing that happened was someone threw a 55 inch tv box in our backyard. That’s seriously it. We go for walks every night and sometimes there’s some random trash here and there but it’s so quiet and so nice. We do check our ring app and have a home security system, but so far it’s been very quiet.

Jobs: I’m a teacher and I got one before we moved. The job is going well. I’m at a magnet school and class sizes are lower than the other schools. (30 kids versus 40+) . My husband was a miner and he decided to go to HVAC school ( there are a few here). He got a job 2 months out of school- which I think is great considering the current pandemic.

Traffic, people, service. Everything has been good. We had several emergencies and we were able to get them taken care of same day (root canals, broken ac, sick dog, broken freezer, etc).

My biggest complaints are the dmv and post offices. They all seem to be horribly slow and unbearable here. But it’s an okay trade off for having good food and an airport nearby. It’s just rough getting set up. I think it took us a few trips and a dozen hours just to get our mailbox key at the post office. The lines are crazy compared to other places in Nevada. But it’s been a fair trade off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 10:23 AM

783 posts, read 837,709 times
I am really glad you posted your experience with moving from rural Nevada to Las Vegas, two very different types of communities and an exciting new life for you and your husband.

Great insight for everyone!

After looking at the real estate listings in North Las Vegas, I was surprised to see so many newer, beautiful homes. Looks like N LV is really booming!

I am sure you are not missing the winter weather in Elko right now

Old 01-25-2021, 11:16 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
For the sake of readers looking for info, can you name some of the areas of N. LV, or sub-divisions; it will help those who read our forums but don't post any inquiries.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:27 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
For the sake of readers looking for info, can you name some of the areas of N. LV, or sub-divisions; it will help those who read our forums but don't post any inquiries.
Nicer NLV is to the north. North or near the 215. A good example is Aliante which has a number of nice tracts.

Zip 89131 which is next to NLV to the west and above the 215 also has very nice areas.

In general I would urge caution south of Craig Rd.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:38 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
I’m glad you’re liking it. Before I moved here, every single person even Uber drivers told me to avoid North Las Vegas. I listened and I’m sure there are nice areas anywhere, but I wouldn’t recommend as a general rule living in the nice area of the bad area. Live in the nice area of the nice area if you can.

Old 01-25-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Good idea!~

I live in the Centennial Ranch area- North of Craig Road and East of Losee (recommended by my real estate agent). We are 4 minutes from the beltway (215). zip code: 89081

I am surprised at the house we got here. Similar houses in other towns were 100k more. Not perfect, but I am happy for the money we spent. We house shopped around Reno, Fallon, Winnemucca, Henderson, Las Vegas and North Las Vegas. I was over the moon with the value and amenities of North Las Vegas!

Old 01-25-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
I am really glad you posted your experience with moving from rural Nevada to Las Vegas, two very different types of communities and an exciting new life for you and your husband.

Great insight for everyone!

After looking at the real estate listings in North Las Vegas, I was surprised to see so many newer, beautiful homes. Looks like N LV is really booming!

I am sure you are not missing the winter weather in Elko right now
Yes, I used to commute from Battle Mountain to Elko frequently and EEEP! Those passes in the winter time! So stressful.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:23 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,827 times
Quote:
My biggest complaints are the dmv and post offices
The DMV is one thing that Nevada got right. You can do almost everything online and, if you must go in, you can make an appointment ahead of time and breeze right through.

As for the postal service here, I trust them with nothing. Mis-deliveries and mail theft are common. I use a pmb at a UPS store for all important mail.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:31 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,417,441 times
FYI, homedepot sells mailbox keys.. All you gotra do is catch the mailman one day with the panel open. Cost me about 6 bucks.. My place was in Summerlin, mail carrier was top notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada