Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 01:00 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times

Advertisements

Does Fernley have alot less traffic than Dayton/Carson City/Reno?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 08:17 AM

1,169 posts, read 750,103 times
The area from "the roundabout" to the I-80 interchange near Walmart, Raleys etc. can be pretty busy but I've never actually seen it be "Jammed" unless there is an accident. That said, it's the same for Carson City and Dayton. Things can be busy but we don't really have traffic jams.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
The area from "the roundabout" to the I-80 interchange near Walmart, Raleys etc. can be pretty busy but I've never actually seen it be "Jammed" unless there is an accident. That said, it's the same for Carson City and Dayton. Things can be busy but we don't really have traffic jams.
Nothing is as bad as the SF Baybridge maze which is one of the worst. It can take up to 20 to 30 minutes to get through while your car idles at a stand still.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:44 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,103 times
Yes, I lived in Contra Costa County and commuted to San Francisco for 18 months a few years ago. Mostly took BART but I still had to navigate Hwy 4, I-580 and I-80 for other reasons. I-80 between, say, Hercules and the east end of the Bay Bridge was busy 24 hours a day. Only difference is that during rush hour traffic didn't move hardly at all. The rest of the time it was just jammed normally.

Never again. People grumble about the Reno spaghetti bowl traffic and I just laugh.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
Yes, I lived in Contra Costa County and commuted to San Francisco for 18 months a few years ago. Mostly took BART but I still had to navigate Hwy 4, I-580 and I-80 for other reasons. I-80 between, say, Hercules and the east end of the Bay Bridge was busy 24 hours a day. Only difference is that during rush hour traffic didn't move hardly at all. The rest of the time it was just jammed normally.

Never again. People grumble about the Reno spaghetti bowl traffic and I just laugh.
So Reno must be a walk in the park in comparison.
Now it's worse than before and pre-Covid. I have been doing that commute via car and on BARF aka: BART for 31+ years. Yes I am so very tired of it. BARF breaks down frequently with their old equipment from 1972 and the system in itself is unreliable and full of drug users and criminals now. Ridership is at an all time low.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:14 PM

102 posts, read 189,564 times
I've lived in Dayton, Reno, Elko and now Fernley. I've been critical on all these places but I think it's because overall - the radical change that is taking place and has been in the last 20 years. While all places need to grow - Nevada's bloated population growth is not a positive thing. Fernley is semi-okay in my opinion however I recall when it was a very small town and you could get around without people cutting you off, riding your bumper, speeding and crazy afternoon traffic. I meet the rudest individuals at Walmart and Lowes on a constant basis. Housing used to be affordable here but now $400k for a cheaply built new home is common. I just looked at a manufactured home, falling apart even though it was 5 years old, about 2 acres of property that was in ruins - needed a huge amount of work and a fence - $450K. Awful. All my neighbors are CA transplants (recent) and act very selfish and rude. Nobody waves hi or picks their weeds and letting your dogs off leash to run around in your neighbor's yard is common. We all have signs to ”pick up after your dog” etc and nobody obeys that. I don't think there is a good area of town actually. We had to put up 5 security cameras because of shady things happening and we live in what is supposed to be a ”nice part of town”. Home and car break-ins, front yard theft - all getting common. I was going to buy here but refuse to. Nevada is going downhill at warp speed and it makes me very sad. We are seeing people selling their $3m home in the Bay Area and buying a $700K home here like it's on sale at a deep discount...for cash. I was outbid $20K - $50K on every place my realtor showed me. And the home usually sold within 24 hours of hitting the MLS. She told me most were out of state buyers. There is no way locals can keep up with this, especially Reno. And Dayton?! $500K for a crappy Lennar or D.R. Horton? I was severely shocked. Ferns is a trucking stop town. Farming is dying here. And with plans to cement the canal...good luck getting ground water. We try and recycle at the transfer station - ($30 minimum charge for dropping off even a small amount of trash) - and most of the time they can't take our recyclables. Be prepared for black widows and scorpions. We had an infestation of widows in a new house we are renting. Neighbor had a scorp hanging off her ceiling. You get used to them but honestly I hate the spiders. Wind can be severe. Usually spring T-storms can wash out your yard and create a lot of mud but seems like there is less and less rain now and the dust storms are horrific. You can't keep it out of your home even with all doors and windows shut. I like Farm District Rd, nice trail they put in but little scary since you are walking along where cars do 50 - 60mph on a one lane narrow road. Truckee Canal is interesting but be careful - attracts a lot of shady people in some areas of it. Downtown is okay, some good Mexican restaurants, boutique pet store, game store. We don't go to Reno too often because I-80 has gotten pretty bad. I follow a traffic group for that section on FB. Usually a major accident at least every day with tons of minor ones. NHP will shut down 80 and you are out of luck. There is no other way to get around unless you lucked out and hit the USA pkwy but you are going for a long ride to get back to Ferns. Truckers regularly push 80mph while commuters think nothing of 100mph. Yes it's all not as bad as Bay Area traffic but consider that just 5 years ago - we hardly had traffic in most regions here. You could get through the Spaghetti bowl any time of day easily. That is not happening anymore. NDOT cannot keep up with the growth and road expansion. Fernley...ah well, I see tons of farm fields being graded as I write this...all kinds of homes going in. You can view that as good or bad.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchthinking View Post
I've lived in Dayton, Reno, Elko and now Fernley. I've been critical on all these places but I think it's because overall - the radical change that is taking place and has been in the last 20 years. While all places need to grow - Nevada's bloated population growth is not a positive thing. Fernley is semi-okay in my opinion however I recall when it was a very small town and you could get around without people cutting you off, riding your bumper, speeding and crazy afternoon traffic. I meet the rudest individuals at Walmart and Lowes on a constant basis. Housing used to be affordable here but now $400k for a cheaply built new home is common. I just looked at a manufactured home, falling apart even though it was 5 years old, about 2 acres of property that was in ruins - needed a huge amount of work and a fence - $450K. Awful. All my neighbors are CA transplants (recent) and act very selfish and rude. Nobody waves hi or picks their weeds and letting your dogs off leash to run around in your neighbor's yard is common. We all have signs to ”pick up after your dog” etc and nobody obeys that. I don't think there is a good area of town actually. We had to put up 5 security cameras because of shady things happening and we live in what is supposed to be a ”nice part of town”. Home and car break-ins, front yard theft - all getting common. I was going to buy here but refuse to. Nevada is going downhill at warp speed and it makes me very sad. We are seeing people selling their $3m home in the Bay Area and buying a $700K home here like it's on sale at a deep discount...for cash. I was outbid $20K - $50K on every place my realtor showed me. And the home usually sold within 24 hours of hitting the MLS. She told me most were out of state buyers. There is no way locals can keep up with this, especially Reno. And Dayton?! $500K for a crappy Lennar or D.R. Horton? I was severely shocked. Ferns is a trucking stop town. Farming is dying here. And with plans to cement the canal...good luck getting ground water. We try and recycle at the transfer station - ($30 minimum charge for dropping off even a small amount of trash) - and most of the time they can't take our recyclables and more. And be prepared for black widows and scorpions. We had an infestation of widows in a new house we are renting. Wind can be severe. Usually spring T-storms can wash out your yard and create a lot of mud but seems like there is less and less rain now and the dust storms are horrific. You can't keep it out of your home even with all doors and windows shut.
Wow! It is just the same here too. Lots of crazy and rude people with disregard for life and property here.
You can tell just the way they drive here. Get in their way and you get hit as a pedestrian or a motorist. Not that they are looking out for you but they just don't look and run red lights and stop signs which is the norm here and an everyday event.

Walleyworld here has always attracted the criminal element and a low class crowd of idiots.

Everywhere now is going up in price. I figured that in Fernley would be fine but probably Fallon would be better as you get further out there to escape the rat race. I am sure it is not as bad up there in Fernley as it is here. But I believe you in that things have changed as they have everywhere as change is a constant factor.
I wouldn't want to live among California transplants neither. Just ONE of the reasons I need to get out of here.

Nevada in my eyes is a giant desert as far as water goes. Perhaps Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho would be better for you?

Old 08-10-2021, 04:37 PM

783 posts, read 837,179 times
I wonder if having I80 and the Union Pacific Railroad running through Fernley is causing more problems. Carson City is still great, maybe even better than a decade ago in some aspects. We have exceptional city government here though, just really great leadership and a great police department. I love the location here, too surrounded by mountains and close to Tahoe.
I did notice property values out there skyrocketed, but that is due to all the industry moving in out there and because it is less expensive than Reno.
We’ve always had Californians moving here in droves… since the ‘80’s….at least…. as long as I can remember.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 08-10-2021 at 04:45 PM..

Old 08-10-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
I wonder if having I80 and the Union Pacific Railroad running through Fernley is causing more problems. Carson City is still great, maybe even better than a decade ago in some aspects. We have exceptional city government here though, just really great leadership and a great police department. I love the location here, too surrounded by mountains and close to Tahoe.
I did notice property values out there skyrocketed, but that is due to all the industry moving in out there and because it is less expensive than Reno.
We’ve always had Californians moving here in droves… since the ‘80’s….at least…. as long as I can remember.
Yes I remember the big migration of Californians in the 90's to Washington, Oregon, Arizona and Nevada. Nevada I have seen the prices of single family homes go up. In Washington near the Canadian border from Bellingham and up was beautiful and rural with lots of trees and space but I got priced out of that area. Now I have heard that place has gone downhill.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:59 PM

7,071 posts, read 4,514,055 times
I am surprised at some of the negativity in this thread. I moved to Reno 24 years ago from the Midwest and love it. Yes it’s grown to twice it’s size. I am not a fan of small towns so never considered Carson, Fallon or Fernley. Of those 3 I would choose Carson as it’s the nicest. The proximity to Lake Tahoe is a real plus in addition to all the outside recreational activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada