Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camecca View Post
WoW!! their web site doesn't say anything like that!..me thinks i need to rethink this LOL, ty
Ty,
I'm relocating to the area in February. My dad was born and raised in McGill, and retired there several years ago. If you are really interested in relocating there and are worried about work, let me know and I'll see what's available. My folks know a lot of people and sometimes they get the inside scoop on job openings. The others are right, there's no Wal-Mart or shopping mall, but they do have grocery stores...lol I've also heard that Elko is nice. I'm not Mormon and neither are my parents, but the Mormons usually don't bite. Most of the people there are friendly, but every town has it's resident grumps.

Yes, there is a Maximum security prison out in the area I call the Gap. I think it's actually called Hercules Gap, but it can't be too much of a nuisance since some people have their homes not far from the prison. The drive over Success is beautiful, but it's sad to see the trash that's being thrown out by careless day and night campers, some from Vegas.

Ely and McGill are really quiet to me, but I'm a So Cal girl and use to all the noise. I just know when I'm there, I can't sleep because it's too quiet. Seems like the towns shutdown by 7:00pm. Twenty years ago, you could've left your door unlocked and no one would've came in. You can't do that now, but you can't do that in most towns these days.

Not sure if this will help you decide, but good luck where ever you decide to relocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 12:41 AM

402 posts, read 1,527,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Sure there is a grocery store, but there is no Walmart, or Costco,, no chain stores Ely is one of the most isolated towns in America. Now, if you want to be a hermit you will need land, check carefully, you will want water. Remember too, the prison has changed the characteristics of the town. The familys of the inmates are moving in bringing a change,, crime for instance.

Jobs other than service work or the prison are in short supply.

Again, if you are a hunter/fisherman/jeeper, redneck tobacco chewer or Mormon, it is a great town. I have known a lot of Elyites, they left for jobs. One old guy I know, his grandaddy was a polygamist.

Ive been here almost 3 years now, and Ive never met anyone who moved up here because they had someone they knew in the prison. Working in the hospital, Ive met quite a few people as well.

As far as work, sure, they're usually openings at the prison. Pay is really good, plus you get an extra 5 or 10% a year for working there over base salary because of how far out its been. But it's no picknick they, thats for sure. The mine is hiring like crazy it seems like. But unless you have previous mining experience, you will start out working for Geotemps, a temp agency. Pay is low and no benifits, but you can usually get on full time at the mine in 3 to 6 months, get a decent bump in pay, and day one benefits. Housing wise, it's better than what is was, but property seems to be way overvalued here. Also, what few new homes there are seem to be priced ridiculously. Older property can be hit or miss, especially in the older parts of downtown. McGill is a nice town. Small, close knit community about 15 miles north of Ely. Has a little grocery store you could probably do all your grocery shopping at if you wanted. Ruth reminds me of the shantytowns during the great depression. Rentals are easier to find, but are still few and far between, especially for something decent. Personally, you coulndt pay me to live there, but most everyone I know who lives there loves it. Shopping sucks. Theres one big supermarket (Ridleys, used to be Gormans) and a medium sized market (Andersons). Both have the same distributor, so prices are pretty much identical (that means high). Bath lumber is a decent sized Ace hardware store, and V&S is like the 'general store' in town. Closest 'big box' store (Walmart, Kmart) is in Elko, about 190 miles away. Costco and more specialized retailers are even farther (230 miles to St. George, 250 to SLC, Vegas, Twin Falls, or 300 miles to Reno). We go out of town to shop once every 6 weeks or so, mostly for sanity (I grew up in a big city and havent fully adjusted to small town living). We do almost half of our shopping online. Amazon Prime is about the best $80 a year I spend.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 12,352 times
Default Moving, maybe

I could be moving to Ely in a few months. I am a single dad with two teenage boys. What are the options for housing there? I live in AZ now and pay around 750 a month for rent in a 3bd 2 bath house that is 3to 4 years old. What can I expect in Ely?

Old 03-15-2009, 10:51 AM

402 posts, read 1,527,935 times
Housing is more readily avalible than its been in the past few years. You may be able to find something like you have now about the same price, though the home will be older, most homes in town are 50+ years old. You can check the classified of the local paper at elynews.com

Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 15,540 times
Default also moving

I will also be moving to Ely. Ill be there in August and have been nervously scouring the internet for jobs...not looking good. I am a respiratory therapist and im aware the demand for that job is not high in the area. Im looking into medical billing and coding. Any idea about the job market in that field?

Old 06-28-2010, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 7,356 times
Looking to get out of California before they eat up my retirement money. Have thought about Elko and now Ely. I managed the family dairy farm for 18 years, worked at Roadway Express for 7 and now as a personal Driver for a Medical Group. Have BA and pretty good with computer. Know Quicken and Quickbooks. If I never live in the city again would be great. How is the fishing? Also just me as Im finishing my divorce next month. Would like to find a place with a little land even with a mobile home. If anyone can help let me know. Bill

Old 06-29-2010, 12:08 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William2U1953 View Post
Looking to get out of California before they eat up my retirement money. Have thought about Elko and now Ely. I managed the family dairy farm for 18 years, worked at Roadway Express for 7 and now as a personal Driver for a Medical Group. Have BA and pretty good with computer. Know Quicken and Quickbooks. If I never live in the city again would be great. How is the fishing? Also just me as Im finishing my divorce next month. Would like to find a place with a little land even with a mobile home. If anyone can help let me know. Bill
Go for Elko over Ely. It's a bigger town with a little more going for it such as shopping, restaurants, etc. There is also an airport with scheduled flights and an Amtrak station. For fishing, check out Ruby Marshes and the Ruby Mountains which has a few lakes at high altitudes: NevadAdventureS Ruby Lake Refuge, fishing, camping, boating, Elko County, Nevada. and HIKING THE RUBY MOUNTAINS

Old 07-01-2010, 10:22 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
I've stayed a few times for weeks or months on work assignments in Ely and originally from the East Coast. I don't think I realized how remote the surrounding areas are until the second or third trip out there. Not a bad town by any means and friendly people. I grew up around the east coast where you have mostly town after town even in rural areas so the strangest concept to me was having a town and then going many miles until you get to the next one.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 15,261 times
I am looking to move to Ely also. My daughter has moved to Eureka I want to be close, But there is not much work in Eureka. Looking for a place to park my Travel Trailer.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 15,261 times
new here hope my post went through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada