Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:22 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,415,218 times

Advertisements

What is so great about California, I was born and raised there and have no desire to return, the smog, rude folks (not everywhere I understand) taxes and the road rage and so over crowded I just don't understand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 03:38 PM

66 posts, read 247,528 times
I've lived in both places.. I think for most people washington would be the better choice as the people there are less "country" and you're closer to what is usually considered beautiufl scenery.. It really depends on where you want to live in those two areas...I think Walla walla would be an awesome place to live. I think northern nevada is really just for people who are native to the area or who have a particular reason for being there. I personally prefer Nevada.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,831 times
Well, my hometown is Spring Creek, Nevada, right next to Elko but I've since moved up to Washington myself for schooling. Although Washington is great, I plan on moving back when I get my degree. There's something about Nevada that some people don't get, but when you do you can never live anywhere else!

Old 11-10-2007, 03:00 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,445,913 times
I went to a soccer game in Reno today, the Nevada 3A high school championship. My daughter plays keeper. We watched the game (won of course!) Truckee High and North Tahoe both play in the NIAA not California..

We sat in the bleachers which look out over the craggy mountain to the east of South Reno, they rise through grass and sagebrush nearly a thousand feet high above the school. Throughout the game a herd of wild horses grazed just beyond the fence. Beyond that fence the next fence is somewhere around central Utah. I like that. If you like open space, wild horses and great soccer, hard to beat Nevada

Old 11-14-2007, 03:11 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,415,218 times
Great Basin I just love your descriptions, thank you

Old 11-14-2007, 07:03 PM

15 posts, read 83,237 times
A couple of other things that may or may not apply are that Eastern Washington has a lot of forest land with real pines rather than the scrub cedars and such in Nevada, and if you are over 65 or disabled, Washington will half (or more) your property taxes in all counties, whereas Nevada doesn't.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks Tressa, Nevada is impressively scenic!
Quote:
scrub cedars
There are no scrub cedars nor cedars in Nevada, there are Pinion Pines, which provide Pine nuts, it is estimated that the food value of the Pinion Pines in Nevada exceeds that of the corn crop of Iowa..harvesting is a bit primitive. And there are Junipers, which many people call cedars because they just don't know. Junipers of course provide us the berries which are distilled into Gin. Just think, food and drink.. in the expansive forests of Nevada!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:27 PM

15 posts, read 83,237 times
Boy that brings back memories of what to call the Junipers! I finally gave up when shown the Cedar Mountains and the Cedar Ranges on Nevada maps. Just wish they got taller for shade in the summer........

Old 11-15-2007, 08:51 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,062,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder66 View Post
A couple of other things that may or may not apply are that Eastern Washington has a lot of forest land with real pines rather than the scrub cedars and such in Nevada, and if you are over 65 or disabled, Washington will half (or more) your property taxes in all counties, whereas Nevada doesn't.

Just a couple of things to clarify your great post, wonder:

Washington state only gives property tax relief to lower-income seniors. It is phased out if your income level reaches $35k/yr. The age is 61. From what I hear, it doesn't guarantee that your tax will be cut in half or more. It just puts exemptions and freezes on the evaluation figure assigned to the property.

Eastern Washington doesn't have "lots" of forest land. Most of it is desert or agricultural land. Most of the forested land will be in the far northeastern part of the state although there are other scattered forested areas in other parts of eastern Washington. However, there are a lot of forests in the western part and the mountains of Washington.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:46 AM

The early settlers, Mormon mostly, did not understand the difference between junipers and cedars.
The early settlers also confused lodgepole pine with tamarack. There are few if any tamarack west of the Mississippi, but, Lodgepole in the west are commonly called tamarack.

Part B. Pinion and Junipers grow in intermixed stands, commonly called PJ stands, so not only do you get your food and drink, you also get your jammies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada