Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
I'll be interested to see the breakout of that $900k. While I don't doubt the wisdom of keeping a reserve fund; I think it also needs to be a reasonable amount that's based on some actual model of possible need.
Agree - that's why I asked if there was a mandate or other policy requiring one (while noting that the size seemed out of whack at the same time). A lot of my work touches on the need for reserve funds to be based on a methodology that makes sense, not just a number pulled out of a hat. I looked a bit (albeit quickly...so, not very carefully) and couldn't find a requirement for a Hollis reserve of a particular size.) I'd be really curious about how they determined that was the "correct" amount if I lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,661 times
I could not find a requirement for any reserve fund balance in Hollis, either. And I am really curious about the determination of the $750k amount. I am also curious about the $500k checking account slush fund of public $. Everyone in Hollis should be.

And it is vital to say that while a reasonable amount based on an actual model of possible need sounds good, what we need to see is resourcefulness with regard to costs, especially within our school admin, which does not understand the economy affecting those in the private sector at all. That is the basic underlying philosophical difference in mindset we are paying for.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:59 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonelover View Post
This sucks. In the midst of one of the worst real estate calamities the country has seen, my property tax bill for Wilton just went up over 10%. Unbelievable. I know they need the revenue but they aren't the only one's hurting! A major protest is definitely in order, although I already know how far that will get me. I can not believe this.
How much could you sell your house for

How much do you pay in taxes

Old 11-21-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
BF and NDQ, here is the breakdown for Hollis compared to 7/10 taxes (you want to compare the rates per thousand to see where the increase has occurred) For example:

Town(this includes Hollis town and (2) Hollis elementary schools) therefore, clock tower and mold, County, School (this is the coop) and State Education department.

If you look at the rates per thousand:
(1st column 7/2010, 2nd column 12/2010, it would not format correctly)
Town: ($4.99) ($5.60)
County ($1.12) ($1.10)
School ($12.25) ($12.40)
State Ed. ($2.38) ($2.37)

Total Rate 20.74 21.47

If you look at the town rate it actually increased by 12.2%.

My jab at Hollis schools was not to imply that schools are the reason for the increase, I intended to highlight the fact that they are asking for $900k more in next budget while they are sitting on $1,250,000, $500k of which has not been disclosed at a time when people are really suffering economically, the tax base and enrollment are decreasing and things look less than hopeful for the future. Not only did the School rate increase, but it appears you may not realize the Town rate includes both Hollis elementaries.
The problem with this is the rate is meaningless, unless you tell us what % of assessed value you pay. Usually towns assess the property at 60% of the market value, what you could sell it for (but this varies widely).

Is a rate of 21.47 per thousand of assessed value, and what is the relationship between assessed value, and the actual value of the home?

Old 11-21-2010, 03:42 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times
Every 5 years I believe the homes are re-assessed to 95% (or 90%, I forget exactly); obviously with the current market that's very tricky.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Every 5 years I believe the homes are re-assessed to 95% (or 90%, I forget exactly); obviously with the current market that's very tricky.
A house in West Hartford CT, with a market value of about 425K, has property taxes of around 8500.

That is comparable to NH, with a rate of 21. The only difference is in CT the assessed value was ~60% but the mill rate was closer to 31-33.

I would move to NH just for the taxes.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
If you do not like living in a town with higher property taxes move to one that have lower school standards. I suggest any place in central Arkansas. There both the taxes and the schools have lower standards. If you want a first rate educations for yours and your neighbor’s kids you have to pay for it. Quality has never been cheap.

The "Live Free of Die" was a political, not an economic, comment that has been abused by people that want more than they care to pay for.

I do not have any children that require an education. By that standard I should be at the head of the tax protest line. I am not because I believe a well educated society is less likely to fall into the clutches of some monomaniacal dictator that thinks god is on his side.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:05 AM

477 posts, read 900,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If you do not like living in a town with higher property taxes move to one that have lower school standards. I suggest any place in central Arkansas. There both the taxes and the schools have lower standards. If you want a first rate educations for yours and your neighbor’s kids you have to pay for it. Quality has never been cheap.

The "Live Free of Die" was a political, not an economic, comment that has been abused by people that want more than they care to pay for.

I do not have any children that require an education. By that standard I should be at the head of the tax protest line. I am not because I believe a well educated society is less likely to fall into the clutches of some monomaniacal dictator that thinks god is on his side.
How many times do we have to show someone that higher school spending does not equate to better education?

As regarding reserve funds, I believe the state likes to see towns reserve between 5 and 10 percent of their yearly budget.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 AM

477 posts, read 900,078 times
In my town (I am the town budget committee chairman) we hit the perfect storm this last year with a town rate increase of $1.25. We left town meeting expecting a $.40 increase but three things happened. First, there was an accounting error that double booked a large piece of revenue from a construction project so when the state set last years tax rate, it got set $.30 too low. This means you are handicapped in what you can raise by taxation the following year. Second, expected revenues were not there. Third, town wide valuations were down even though there is some new building happening in town.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Our (Londonderry) fearless leaders cut a couple of positions that weren't paid for by the town so they could appear to be cutting spending. I am glad I never got caught in the unaffordable real estate trap. Compared to some my property tax is lost in the round off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire