Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:57 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,558 times

Advertisements

As, I sit here waiting for it to be light enough to head down to the barnyard to start chores, I'm wondering what you all do to start your day.

Here's a typical morning in December for us.

Up at 4:30am to put some wood in the stove and start some coffee. Shiver while said stove heats house, drink coffee and catch up on emails and CD forum.
Get 2 oldest kids up at 5:30 to start their day, start some hot water for some oatmeal with raisins and apples and a bit of maple sugar.
Let the dogs outside for a bit.
Start filling buckets of water for animals (no water at barn this time of year).
Lug buckets to truck.
At 6am the 2 kids and I head down to the barn yard to slop, grain and water pigs and sheep. We then reload the truck with more water, hay and grain to take to the sheep in the North paddock (they will be moving back down to the house as soon as snow flies, but for now their still grazing)
By 7am I'm dropping the kids at the bus stop in the center of town to make their way up to the Middle School. Usually at this time I'm off to work. If it's slow I head back home to help my wife (who's just getting up after working 2nd shift as a nurse at the hospital) with round 2.
Round 2 consist of getting the younger 2 kids up to have breakfast and start their day. Feeding the indoor animals, feeding chickens and collecting eggs, washing breakfast dishes, bringing in fire wood, etc.

Wow, made me tired just typing it and now I'm late.

Have a great day NH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 11:06 AM

223 posts, read 540,350 times
out of bed 5:10-5:25. Feed cats. Walk the dogs around the neighborhood. rowing machine 15 minutes. Stretching etc. about 10-15 minutes. Bath - 15 minutes. Hot tub 20 minutes. Read newspaper 20 minutes. Maybe read etc. 15-25 minutes. Maybe 30 minutes on the stationary bike. 1 egg breakfast. -- then personal time (maybe 1 hour) before work begins at 10:30........ (start late - work late).

Old 12-20-2010, 11:50 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Up around 11am take storm for a walk then have breakfast. Plan outfit and shower get ready which takes a little over an hour. Head out for additional dog walking,cappucionos,volunteering etc. Get home workout tidy up hot tub watch a show with husband.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:08 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
I do shift work so it's either:

Up at 5am, out the door by 535, stop at Starbucks for a coffee, and get to work before 6am.

Up at 630am, change diapers, feed the boys breakfast, get everyone dressed, take a shower, get dressed...this should all be done by 830am hopefully. Then it's off to whatever we have planned for teh day.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:28 PM

88 posts, read 196,227 times
8-9am roll out of bed. zombie walk downstairs for coffee.
9:30 shower, get dressed, check email/pay bills/ surf
10:00 start on grad school reading or assignments. curse cost of education.
noon: eat lunch, maybe watch something on TV. continue homework, or head out to do errands
1pm: get to work, set up the room for the kids (6th-10th graders), do any prep work.
2:15: kids arrive. start defending self from hugs. am adored.
3:30: kid A accuses kid B of stealing. kid B denies it. kid A finds stolen item five minutes later in jeans pocket. kid B is triumphant. I am exasperated.
6pm: close up shop, run out the door.
6:30: rush in either just before or just after professor starts grad level class
9:00: drive home, academically drained.
10:00: zombie walk upstairs. Attempt to start assignment, instead am distracted by facebook/youtube/etc.
11:00-1:00am: fall asleep, cursing self for staying up to late.

lather, rinse, repeat

Old 12-20-2010, 08:47 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Up between 6-6:30 AM, make sure youngest get off to HS ok, 30 min later DH is off to work. Make a pot of tea, spend some morning time with the dogs (working on confidence-building exercises with our newest adoptee) bring them outside & back in again, feed them, etc. Shower, then depending on the day, the weather, etc. I might start work from home by 8 AM, or go into the office for 9, depending on what needs doing. maybe printing/scheduling property showings for buyers, maybe paperwork/maintaining files, follow up phone calls, maybe, maybe maybe...

Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 PM

20 posts, read 42,249 times
I wake up and thank God I don't live in Massachusetts.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 AM

30 posts, read 35,263 times
mind to share photos of all that; absent of people of course? Just curious if the picture brought to mind closely resembles reality.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
No water in the barn? Ouch. If I were you I would get water in the barn soon.

There is here, but something broke and I gotta go hand dig up the spout.

I don't suppose yer on any gravity feed water line. I was up in Bartlett and so with town pipes very shallow I had no choice but to run water all the time in winter. I built 'Ice Monsters' as tall as the 1 and 1/2 story house every winter, and when I built my barn there for a horse and shop I got a used claw foot tub and ran water there, which over flowed in a brick lined hole and never carried another bucket again, there.

Working at Nestlenook Inn where they had a spring fed well I ran black water line each winter to many bath tubs in line and feed water into all of them that same way splitting paddocks. That was a great back and time saver too. 16 saddle horses 8 draft, chickens, turkey, assorted other critters.

No morning routine here, as it depends on that days chores. I was up at 4:20 this morning but for no good reason. I had the idea there might be some snow to plow, but I was wrong.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 AM

477 posts, read 900,078 times
Up at 5:30 or so. Get dressed and get whatever I need for the day together and ready to go. Daughter up at 6:30. Get the wife out the door by 7:00. Daughter on the bus at 7:30 and then off to work. Sometimes work from home, but could be anywhere in the state within about an hour and a half from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire