Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,698 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I'm from the greater Boston area, I'm looking for a spot to do some camping in NH. Have never been camping any where in NH. I have a standard tent and a truck bed tent. I'm not a big backpacker type. I rather a secluded spot I can drive to and set up. No hook ups necessary. I prefer not to be at a large park with all the noise and neighbors. I like to hike and fish of the shores off a small pond.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
That's a tuff call, but you can do it up in the dirt road from Sandwich towards Campton, on the Sandwich Notch Rd. You would want a dirt side rd and to be so far in the woods as you can get.

On a map look for Sandwich and then Russel Ponds. You might need 4x4.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,590 times
I liked White Lake; we got a site on the edge and while there are MANY sites (big/popular place)- but everyone was respectful and the rangers were some of the best I've ever met. Nice facilities too.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:06 PM

geeze i don't live 4 miles from White Lk. I tend to get off the beaten path, or i wouldn't know about the notch rd, but then I am not bound to a steel box, so I get deep in the boonies.

next time you come to White Lk drop me a dm.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 PM

72 posts, read 138,003 times
Kancamagus Highway in the white mountains.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Be aware that the State has severely cut park maintenance budgets. Last time I was at the Basin in Franconia Notch state park the pit toilets were full to almost the seat. That is no way to save money or treat your tourist guests. I can only assume the out of the way parks and campgrounds are worse or simply closed.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 AM

The kanc is over popular and hard in season to get a site and I think all but one 'ground' are closed in winter. A slightly lesser known 'ground' is passing thru N Woodstock Passing Lost River but on the Rt 112 still just down the hill and west of Lost River.

I took shelter there for an hour last summer on the way to a crafts show at Sugar Hill. Rained buckets.

What makes it hard is the OP doesn't want to park and pack in. It doesn't get remote where he can drive, and so can anyone else.

My ideas work the other way around. I want to be dropped off somewhere and have no tin can parked any place but home, then show up home, when I get around to it, which can be 10+ days.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,895 times
Try Pillsbury State Park in Washington NH.
Small seasonal park, no RV hookups, 3 ponds for fishing, swimming and canoeing. Lots of wildlife sightings, everything from bears, deer, loons and turtles. A few easy hiking trails. Very quiet and fairly secluded.
Best kept secret in NH!

The kids and I are planning a winter weekend trip soon. On a Friday, we will simply walk out the back door and head into the woods and up the mountain until we find a spot that fancies us. On Saturday, , we'll take a day hike to the summit of Mt. Kearsarge from our campsite. On Sunday we'll have breakfast, break down camp and head back to the house. Probably wait towards the end of February, though.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM

No tents i hope. If it snows do not sleep in a tent.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:50 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
No tents i hope. If it snows do not sleep in a tent.
Yeah, we use our regular 3 season pop tent. We usually go during "milder" winter weather.
Yes we have been soaked before too. Just a light coating of snow melts into a big mess if you let it.
I have done the snow cave thing while camping by myself but it makes me very nervous with the kids. We had family friends (couple of teenagers) die while cave camping near a ski area several years back and I'm leary of it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire