Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 PM

29 posts, read 46,614 times

Advertisements

My husband, toddler son and I will be moving to NH in a couple of weeks. We have been diligently researching different towns to move to (and visited a few months ago). We really liked Exeter but it is too pricey for us now.

We stumbled upon Somersworth and like it from what we see online BUT have come across some threads here that it's not a good place to live. I'm confused because some people say it's horrible but then others disagree and say they've lived there all there lives with no problems.
Which is it?????

The main things that are important to us is:
safety
not high crime
good schools
not a big city but not too rural......

So, my question is what do you know about Somersworth?
Where do you have your information from? (personal experience, word of mouth, news...)
Are there some areas of Somersworth that are "bad" and some that are "good"?
Is there anything good about Somersworth that you'd like to share?
Any other info you can think of.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,073 times
My wife grew up there. I have spent quite a bit of time there.

There's an awful lot of Section 8 housing there. That brings a lot of crime issues. It's a rough town.

It transfers to the schools also. Somersworth schools do not have a good reputation. Test scores bear this reputation out.

It looks like a mill/factory town downtown, which it is. The GE plant is a shadow of its former self.

That being said, the crime is relative. It ain't big city crime (lots of petty stuff), and you're probably not going to get carjacked or murdered. Lots of drug activity from my experience reading the blotter.

You can find outlying areas of Somersworth that have nice looking neighborhoods. My in-laws live on the outskirts next to Dover. Very nice. Stay away from anything downtown, and remember your kids will go to school in Somersworth schools no matter how nice your cul-de-sac looks (unless you pay for private school).

Property taxes were no bargain either. I looked at some nice rural parcels in Somersworth, but couldn't get over the schools and the "run down mill town atmosphere" of the place.

Best thing to do is to look at it yourself. Good luck.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:06 AM

477 posts, read 899,707 times
My wife and I both grew up there and our parents both still live there and I can not dispute anything Steve has said. The other thing to consider is that since it is small in area, it has the fifth highest population density in the state.

Dover and Rochester both have better outlying areas and I would also look at Madbury, Lee and other towns to the west. Rolingsford is nice but they go to Somersworth for middle and high school.

Old 07-22-2023, 12:00 PM

21 posts, read 14,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
My wife and I both grew up there and our parents both still live there and I can not dispute anything Steve has said. The other thing to consider is that since it is small in area, it has the fifth highest population density in the state.

Dover and Rochester both have better outlying areas and I would also look at Madbury, Lee and other towns to the west. Rolingsford is nice but they go to Somersworth for middle and high school.
Hello! Wanting to bump this thread for updated opinions on these areas, since it's been quite some time, to say the least lol.

What is everyone's thoughts on Somersworth vs Rochester in comparison to Dover, which has improved significantly? Considerations: safety/crime, development in the area, amenities, atmosphere, etc.

Thank you in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire