Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:28 AM

12 posts, read 25,608 times

Advertisements

I am trying to convince my wife, who wants to move to Washington state or Oregon (from Texas), that New Hampshire is the better move. But this winter has seemed pretty extreme up in your neck of the woods. Is this winter particularly harsh historically as far as snow and ice? I really don't want to move to the Pacific, but Texas will be in our rear-view mirror within a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
historically - it's on even par

this kind of winter used to be the norm until the '80's.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
to be clear, we have had snow totals that haven't been seen since the late 1800's....

however, I'll take snow over ice storms any day. Over the last 3 years, ice storms have caused considerable damage and spring flooding......unbelievable.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
The amount of snowfall this winter is about 40% above the historical average so far. Our winters during the past few years have seemed to oscillate between the two extremes.

Neither winter - in New England or in the Pacific Northwest - is ideal. While New England is colder and considerably snowier, there is much more sunshine (and on sunny days, the light is amplified by the white snow on the ground). Winters in the Northwest are almost continuously overcast with cold rain. Having lived in both climate zones, personally, I would take a New England winter any day, but then I also find a good deal of enjoyment in winter sports that rely on snow cover. If you're not into winter outdoor activities then you may find that the season drags on forever...

Aside from the major once-in-a-decade ice storm event, generally it's cold enough in NH that ice is not a major concern during most of the winter (although it can pose some problems on the shoulders of the season, i.e. December and March). However, know that NH is considerably better equipped to deal with icy roads (salting, sanding, etc.) than the Northwest, where ice and snow almost always lead to this:

Old 03-12-2011, 09:15 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,753 times
OP: Why are you guys leaving TX?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the replies, all. I understand that while I can't change the weather, fore armed is fore warned. And maybe I can sway my wife to my side .

We are moving because after living here for over 40 years we have the means to escape the Texas heat. While it snowed where I live (East Texas) this winter for the first time in significant measure since the '80s, it's not enough. Winter is usually around the mid 50s around here, but for the past couple of decades we've seen multiple days of mid 60s in the dead of winter! And summer is in the high 90s to low 100s for most of July through early September. We've had enough. Also, another climate in Texas is changing: politically.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:01 PM

109 posts, read 292,326 times
We just moved here from CO Springs but lived in Austin for 15 years so I'm familiar with the unbearably hot summers. I have to tell you though, after experiencing this winter I long for those warm TX days. I am waiting until a full round of seasons pass before making my final judgement call but I'll tell you I was not prepared for the endless cold and snowy days. Even CO cannot compare to the winters here. It is also much more gray and overcast here which is depressing to me.

We really had no choice (moved here for a great job) but I would definitely spend some time here in the winter if you haven't already.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:29 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&AMOM View Post
We just moved here from CO Springs but lived in Austin for 15 years so I'm familiar with the unbearably hot summers. I have to tell you though, after experiencing this winter I long for those warm TX days. I am waiting until a full round of seasons pass before making my final judgement call but I'll tell you I was not prepared for the endless cold and snowy days. Even CO cannot compare to the winters here. It is also much more gray and overcast here which is depressing to me.

We really had no choice (moved here for a great job) but I would definitely spend some time here in the winter if you haven't already.
I can tell you that the Great Lakes region and the Pacific Northwest are unbelievably grey in the winter compared to New England. No comparison...
Even the Ohio Valley cities of Cincinnati and Louisville have more dark grey winter days compared to central parts of New England. I think many people prefer sunny winter days with powder snow on the ground

Old 03-12-2011, 05:34 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&AMOM View Post

Hmm. We're coming from western Colorado, and your observation is.....worrying.

I'm orriginaly from Long Island, and although I know the weather will be a bit less pleasant than LI, hopefully it isn't too much.

Thanks for your opinion regarding the weather.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:08 PM

I don't mind cloudy days, and that is the reason my wife wants to live in WA or OR. I just don't want to live over on the Pacific. There is MUCH more to do (for my family's interests) in the New England area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire