Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 22,682 times

Advertisements

My husband may possibly get a new job in the Claremont NH area and was wondering where to go that has wonderful parks and great people! We are a couple in our early thirties with 2 kids ages 19months and 4. I stay home with them and NEED other mom's to do playdates with! We are loving it where we're at now,and people here are SO friendly. We are originally from Chicago and Oregon and excited about seeing the four distinct seasons again and from pics.,it looks gorgeous out in NH!! We would be looking to rent a home or condo/townhome,in a safe and FAMILY friendly neighborhood. Doesn't have to be Claremont,and could be no longer than 1/2-45mins away from his work! We also love to go outside and do things,go out to dinner & events. Any good areas to look into? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:22 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,286 times
I had to laugh when you said "four seasons." Right now we are deep into mud season, the snow is just about melted. I sometimes say yes we have four seasons: winter, mud, bug and stick. We are trying to move TO Florida!

First off, Claremont is a gritty kind of old mill town. It never had "class" but it could hold its own economically and the city is making a big effort to come back. While there are parts of Claremont that are nice, parts are also nothing more than small town slums. The economy in the region has seen much better days. Claremont is doing better than most towns in the surrounding area, but the downtown still has a lot of boarded up empty storefronts.

If you enjoy going to nice restaurants, honestly Claremont does not have much to offer. Most of the locals are out for the "all you can eat" and many would consider the Pizza Hut bistro to be fine dining. What passes for fine dining up here would make most urbanites gag. Claremont does have an Opera House which hosts events such as plays, comedians etc.

Go north and you come to Hanover / West Lebanon. It gete expensive thanks to Dartmouth and the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, but it also has more in the way of good pleace to eat and fancy stores.

Go west and you cross the river and are in VT. Be aware that if you cross the river every day, you will be liable for VT income taxes. NH has NO income taxes. If anything the VT side of the CT river has taken a worse beating economically than the eastern side of Precision Valley and you might be able to pick up a really nice piece of property for cheap.

Go east and you are in Newport. Newport has a couple of decent places to eat (believe it or not) but has always been a poor town and the school system is terrible. It does have an Opera House but doesn't get quite the names that Claremont does. It should take about 20 minutes weather permitting to get to Claremont, depending on hwere in Claremont. If you are going to go east of Claremont you can try going even further to Sunapee (which has been invaded by wealthy refugees from Massachusetts) or even further to New London, which is a darling little town. The drive might get to be a bit too long though.

Go south and you end up in Charlestown. I can't say too much about Charlestown as I am not familiar with the downtown at all. It would be about a 20 minute drive to Claremont weather permitting.

Whereever you end up you won't need to look for a park as the region is very rural - you're never more than 15 minutes from the woods and wilderness. And if you like events well, if you live around here you get used to driving a lot to get to something interesting. I'd recommend the Northern Stage in White River Junction which is a professional theater. Dartmouth also has a college theater.

Good luck!

Last edited by FrugalYankee; 04-18-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 03:12 PM

6 posts, read 16,223 times
I had a cousin that lived in Newport through high school. Hated it, nothing for a teenager or child to do besides the bowling alley and Claremont Cinema 6.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,776 times
Some of the towns in the Kearsarge district would be within 30-40 minutes of Claremont (New London, Sutton, Wilmot, Bradford, Springfield) and the Kearsarge district is very good. Grantham is another town with good schools and close to Claremont. Also Hanover, which as FY said, is where Dartmouth is. Has a bit of a snob-appeal reputation but YMMV on that (depends on your frame of reference, to some degree. I can see what people are talking about but having grown up on the "Gold Coast" of Long Island's North Shore, Hanover is like Amateur Hour compared to what I was used to -- and ran screaming from, never to look back!)

New London, Wilmot Flat, and N. Sutton are less expensive than Hanover but with many of the same benefits as (and 30 minutes from) Hanover. Bradford and Springfield are cheaper but have less of a "town" feel and less amenities.

This is my part of NH -- if you have specific questions I am happy to try and answer.

~ NDQ

Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 PM

Thank you guys so much for answering my questions and gave me GREAT input on some areas! I am definitely going to check them out,and we will really have to consider a move here! I'm excited and nervous,but sooo glad I came on here and have a better idea where I want to be!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 7,550 times
Hi Pinup,

Unless you do a lot of outdoor things with your children yourself, plan on driving a distance. Also plan on driving a ways to get good grocery shopping or clothes shopping done.

We moved here 2 years ago and I'm afraid to say that I wish we hadn't. The area is so economically depressed. And with this economy, I don't see it coming back to life at all in the next 10 to 15 years.

My kids were older when we moved and ready to start college. Needless to say, they don't even like to visit unless skiing, hiking or kayaking is on the agenda. There is nothing else to do. The teenagers hang around the parking lots to keep busy. Not my idea of constructive time.

Sorry to burst your bubble. But if you can get closer to Hanover, you would be better off. More culture, better stores, and also more diverse community.

DaaMom (of 4)

Old 04-19-2011, 04:57 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,951 times
To be blunt, Claremont is an armpit town (IMHO). I do not think it is what you are looking for.
I must agree with several other posters and steer you towards Hanover.
NDQ had a good idea with the Kearsarge district, which is where I also live. Warner or New London might have what your looking for but be advised that the commute to Claremont up 103 during the winter will be tough on snow days.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 PM

Default Re:

Yes,I think we're leaning towards New London. I don't mind driving maybe 1/2 or so commute for his work and stores,but as long as the people and schools are nice,then I don't mind! Thanks for the feedback,although I am nervous,it looks like we're probably going to do it!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 12,589 times
I agree with what others have said about Claremont. I would not live there however, it is the only area that I will shop at. As far as restaurants, they now have The Common Man which is great. Unfortunately Blockbuster just closed down.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,869 times
where are the bad areas of town that I should avoid - as far as renting a place to live? what is the crime rate like in claremont? appreciate any input you have. thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire