Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:25 PM

479 posts, read 1,015,925 times

Advertisements

Thank you to everyone for educating me on the oil!! Makes sense. I am wondering how often it has to be filled if you keep the thermostat on 65??? Are some of the homes set up on gas? Naturally the wood burning fireplace will come in handy and looks like there is plenty of wood in the area. What about power outages? October to April is normal as in Boulder we didn't get the drift snow but it certainly was cold enough for the heat at night.
Thanks again!! Can't wait to get there next week!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 08:43 PM

After reading a little about heating with oil via/internet is it safe to assume that the cost for 7 months is going to be approximately $2000 - $2500?? Or am I too low. I know that there are variables but just trying to get an idea of what the reality is.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:52 PM

What is the status of the coal plant in Bow? In reading I came across a little information and wondered how that impacts the air and what the impact is on the local environment? I know it's a touchy subject but just trying to learn! If anyone has time....tell me everything! Ha!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:32 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,043,877 times
how much oil you use also depends on how leaky/tight your house is. When we first had to decide on a supplier, I called around to get prices (some had it on their websites, others you had to call), and we lucked into finding the place that had the contract on our house for the last 4 years! so.. since they had records of how much oil was used, it gave us a basic idea of what to pre-buy. Since we're not there very often and keep the heat set to 52F when we're not, we use very little and keep having a credit (but not enough for a full year).

There are some places that use natural gas, but not that many -mostly only available in some of the cities. and frankly, it's not necessarily much of a savings!

power outages happen in winter, lots of people have generators now - since the blizzard of '08 (power out for a few weeks!). it depends on how bad the storm was for how quickly they get the lines fixed.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the info on the oil! It will help a lot with our being prepared for what to expect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire